Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Wednesday 9 March 2022

Thirty Plant foods

When I first read an article in a magazine about eating 30 different plant based foods in order to be really healthy.  I wondered how this could be done!

We already eat a lot of fruit and vegetables so how could I make this work.

Now, I have Diabetes type 2 so to keep track on what food raise my glucose levels I have a food diary(in which I also reacord my blood sugar levels and how many miles I walk in step form). I decided to check what I had eaten  the previous week - it came to more than 30!

So last week as I filled in my diary I wrote down if I had added something different -

Here is the list, starting with breakfast on the Monday morning:-

Raspberries, Blackcurrants, Redcurrants, Blackberries, Granola, Banana

Pepper, Tomato, Green Pesto, Wholemeal bread,

Apple, Broccoli, Pineapple, Kiwi fruit, Tangerine, Mixed nuts

That's just 16 in the first day - of course during the week some of theses were repeated!

Cous cous, lettuce, French Beans, peas, potato(Veggie burger)Grapes

Baked beans, Spinach, Brussels sprouts, Rhubarb, Beetroot

Butternut Squash, Mushrooms, Leeks, Blueberries, Apricots.

That's 33 different plant foods and I haven't counted herbs and spices - each of which counts as a quarter each - and I use a lot of those!

I was quite surprised by this so I am continuing to record all plant based foods I eat. So far this week it's 14 different food but I have others in my fridge and cupboards that we will be eating!

Anyone doing better?

I am joining Food Wednesday hosted by Kathy of Hummingbird Woodland Studio. 

Thanks for looking, Chris

 



8 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Chris, thank you so much for sharing this. My husband has to watch his sugars too-I learned in the beginning that there are many veggies high in sugar-peas, corn, even healthy dried beans Its a challenge for sure.
Thank you so much for linking up with Food Wednesdays Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't heard of this Chris, but it is a great idea. I'd need to make a list to count, but I am going to do that. Doing a quick count I think I am at 15 or 16, but several of those I have eaten multiple times, like peanuts, oats, dried cherries, raisins, dried cranberries and blueberries as well as tomatoes, peppers, onions and lettuce. This is interesting. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Chris, I just wanted you to know blogger is doing strange things again. I approved your comment on my T post, replied back to it on my blog. and then the same comment popped in twice more-so deleted those and now the comment on the T post is gone-strange haha

CJ Kennedy said...

Haven't heard of this.

Divers and Sundry said...

I tend to eat the same things all the time. They're generally healthy things, but variety would be good for my health. I just don't really know how to accomplish that.

jinxxxygirl said...

HI Chris! So sorry i'am late to the party... Hubby and i have to watch our sugar levels too. So many fruits and veggies are high in carbs too therefor sugar... but its so interesting to read how much fruit and veggies you eat. Hubby and i don't do near as well.. Happy Belated Food Wednesday!! Hugs! deb

craftytrog said...

That's very impressive Chris! I had some vegan banana cake with my oat milk coffee, on my walk this morning, and breakfast was porridge with nuts, seeds and banana. So a good start. It'll be fish and oven chips for lunch today though, not so good 😋
Have a lovely weekend,
Alison ❤️

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Still playing catch up. You eat a lot of fruits and veggies considering you are not a vegetarian. Glad you are counting these for your health's sake, dear.