Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 14 July 2020

T Stands for ...two outings !

Another whizzy week has passed by and along with having some time to play in my craft room I got one big task out of the way - phew! I have finally got around to finishing taking up some new curtains! Well, I say 'new', they have been in their packaging since we bought them a couple of years ago, but I didn't want them up before we decorated the living room and that took us an age too what with packing up all our things at the caravan then finding homes for that  stuff!
We thought a quick press and we would have them up, unfortunately our windows are not a standard size. This meant that they were folded up and put out of the way until I got tired of moving them around. They do look very nice!

As well as all that we managed to get two outings last week. It meant staying up late to book them (fortunately this weeks outings were easier to book)
Last Tuesday morning it was raining, not heavily, so we donned waterproof coats and set off to Styall and Quarry Bank Mill gardens. The rain was intermittent so not so bad and it was still quite warm. The only problem was that unlike the dry day when we visited last time, no-one was stopping for rests or picnics. There were quite a few hold ups, I don't think some folk knew that it was so hilly and were having difficulties walking.




 I love seeing these Rose bay willow herbs...yes, I know they are weeds and I was forever pulling them up at the caravan before they went to seed.

 The steps were still closed

...so were these.





 The best seat in the gardens - but it was soaking wet!
This would be the view from the seat.
We stood back and let a lot of folk past.
It was fascinating to see the raindrops run off this branch

Hubby could take some shots without anyone behind us.


 As you can see there aren't many gardeners in and the list is not being updated
 I didn't want to stay around the midges for too long...
...and we soon caught up with folk heading back to the car park.

On Friday we had booked for an afternoon visit to Lyme Park. It was very windy and threatening rain so it was waterproofs again. You may remember the last time we visited we came to a gate leading into a wood but decided not to go through, this time we headed up the hill straight to it and went in..




There were threatening rain clouds but some patches of blue too
The sun shone through the trees and it became quite warm as there was no wind in the woods.
Can you see  face here?





We hardly noticed this stream on our last visit but it was racing away on this occasion - not surprising with the amount of rain we have had lately!
Back at the carpark the swallows were ducking and diving for insects above the trees.

This week there is somewhere very familiar and somewhere we haven't been for a while!! We are taking a picnic today!

Now for my T Stands for Tuesday pic to join in at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog The Altered Book Lover.
It's a special occasion this week, celebrating 7 years of TSFT.
Huge thanks to Elizabeth for introducing us all! We had one of my favourite meals - Smoked mackerel with Sweet Potato

Hubby stayed out of the way so that you can see my new curtains - he said that I should show proof that I had actually finished them - ha! ha!

Thanks for looking, Chris

19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Chris, you are actually on time for TSfT!! Lovely photos of your visits, glad you are able to get out and about again. My fave photo is the wonderful tree in the first series of pics. I have curtains that I have been meaning to put up for years, they are still in the packaging. One day....Your food looks delicious, so yummy! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Beautiful photos of both Gardens, Chris. I especially liked the photos from Styall because there were lots of flowers. It's too bad the garden isn't being updated, but it is quite understandable. It's hard to get people working in the gardens when there is a virus possibly lurking around every corner of the garden. Still, it looks like parts of Quarry Bank Garden is well taken care of. And the flowers are simply stunning.

Lyme Park was nice, but it looked much wilder this time than it did two weeks ago when you took a different path. It looked like a long walk and lots of trees and open spaces. Loved seeing the cows in the pasture, though.

Your meal looks good and I'm glad you showed the sweet potato, since I didn't get a good view of it in the first photo. Thanks for sharing this, both gardens, and your water with us for T this Tuesday. And of course, those drapes look heavy. I suspect they will keep the afternoon heat out of your place. Well done, Chris.

Gerrina said...

Your photo's are so beautiful; love it how you took me on your outings! Hugs, Gerrina

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Chris, so nice you were able to get out for two garden walks-beautiful places and I enjoyed the photos.
Your meal sounds delicious-and funny about the curtains (what your husband said) I bought material awhile back to make a curtain for our bedroom closet-need to get on that soon.
Happy T hugs Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

The garden walks are so beautiful. Even nicer when you have the place all to yourself. Your dining table is set so pretty and I love the color of your curtains. Take care and Happy T Day

Rita said...

They are both so peaceful with gorgeous greenery. No, I couldn't see the fence--LOL! Loved the sprinkles on the water. Even with a little rain both days--how lovely to get away. :)

Meggymay said...

You had two lovely walks last week Chris, the countryside looked lovely
and so peaceful.
Your curtains are lovely as well.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Linda Kunsman said...

such beautiful grounds and walking Chris! So glad you are able to enjoy it again. Your smoked mackerel and sweet potato is something I'm sure I'd like too:) Happy T day!

Eileen Bergen said...

The gardens are so lovely. You two certainly know how to "smell the roses." You wrote, "It was fascinating to see the raindrops run off this branch." Very cool.

I looked up midges. I despise biting and stinging insects. Especially the ones that carry diseases.

The curtains are lovely. You have a great guy there, but I'm sure you know that ;-)

Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

Helen said...

A lovely couple of walks and some fabulous photos. shame about the rain! well done on the curtains!

Kate Yetter said...

Hi Chris, I loved seeing the gardens that you visited. So many pretty flowers. My favorite is the country scene with the animals grazing and resting. And the curtains look great along with your meal.
I am sending you an ATC in the swap. Can you please email me your address? My email is katesscrapyard@gmail.com
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Let's Art Journal said...

Sounds like you've been keeping busy with all your outings 😀. Loved seeing the gardens and it's nice to see the weather stayed dry for you. That baked potato looks so yummy too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Lisca said...

Two walks! Wonderful! I enjoyed both. When we lived in England we used to go for long walks as we had our NT cards, now that we live here, we really miss the lush green and the beautiful gardens.
Your sweet potato looks very tasty, but I'm not sure about the radishes on top...
Yes, your new curtains are beautiful. Well done!
Happy (belated) T-Day,
Lisca

Lynn Holland said...

Well done you for getting out and about again
Lynn xx

My name is Erika. said...

Do I say every week lately what beautiful gardens you can walk in? This week's photos are no exceptions. The flowers are lovely. And smoked mackerel sounds and looks really good. Especially with sweet potato. Sorry I am late stopping by but life has been a little busy. Hope all is well and you are safe. Hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

You have such beautiful gardens to visit and walk through. I'm glad they're open (even with the one way traffic). Happy belated T-Day!

Words and Pictures said...

What fabulous destinations for your trips - the rain has been good for the plants, even though it might dampen the visitors' experience! It all looks so lush and glorious. Thank you for taking us along for the ride...

Yummy looking dinner (though sweet potatoes and I don't get on very well sadly), and your curtains look very smart.
Alison x

Sharon Madson said...

Lovely photos of your visits. I would have liked to walk there, but then when I would have rested the bench would have been wet! Thanks for sharing your visit and your yummy looking dinner. Glad you got your curtains done and are enjoying them. I can't sew! LOL Happy T Day!

Karen said...

Hi Chris! Beautiful pictures of your visits ~ I just received your ATC and other goodies today, and I think they were suppose to go to Erika? I'll forward them to her for you :) Enjoy your outings and all the beautiful nature ~ Love, Karen