Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 28 January 2020

T Stands for Tripper...

...as in 'Day Tripper' the old Beatles song!
Last week we set off early one morning to catch the train to Liverpool. I spent three years at college in Allerton way back....I could hardly believe the changes! We have often been to the Albert Dock area and the museums and Tate Gallery there but had never been into the town centre!
Coming out of Lime Street Station the skyline looked totally different from the one I knew from college days! My college is long gone - a housing development went on the site years ago!

It was quite a damp and dreary day but we headed for coffee at the Royal Exchange cafe - I wish I had taken a photo but I was so disappointed in the tea cake which had been warmed in a toastie maker and was crisp right through!
We walked around the Albert Dock - no museums this time. 

The Liverpool Mountain by Ugo Rondinone stands outside
 I had been told about this exhibition




 Absolutely wonderful!
This statue of Billy Fury stands by the Mersey - he was one of my teen idols!
As you can see it was very misty all day!

We saw this dazzle ship through the netting! More info here if you want to find out more!
The Liver Bird could hardly be seen through the mist!

This gallery had some beautiful art including some Beatles related pieces!
This made me smile ...
..as we walked a familiar path (for me) to the Picton Library - I used to spend hours in the library as a student!
I was keen to see the updated library - it was done a few years ago but we never seemed to fit in a visit!
This area used to be dark but now has wheel chair access and computers!
The Reading room hasn't changed much - less shelving than I remember and more tables and seating - but still the same iron steps!
I sneaked in with my phone on silent!!
A view from the escalator coming down to the cafe(what???) and the reception area

When we left the sky was brightening towards the river
The radio tower was lit up
We walked towards the station past St Georges Hall
We plan to go back to Liverpool - we would love to go inside here and also do a Beatles tour!
As a student I used to pass John Lennon's house every day(long after he was famous) and also in my final year used to go to Strawberry Fields children's home just up the road from college!

Now, after all this walking (17,000+ steps) we did stop for drinks and food...but...not one photo! In order to join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday ....

...here is hubby on our half way round the supermarket break!
I couldn't resist this almond croissant with my Americano, hubby had Cappuccino and a chocolate cookie
 I love this kind rather than the ones covered in icing sugar!

Sorry to be so late - we went to the cinema today to see 'The Personal Life of David Copperfield' - very funny, an easy watch and lots of famous faces!

Thanks for looking, Chris



12 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Priceless! I'd love a Beatles tour :) and a croissant :) Happy T Tuesday!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow- I had no idea Liverpool was so interesting. Your photos were fascinating and there are some gorgeous buildings, never mind the cool art. Thanks for sharing-and even the croissant looks delicious. Hope it was a happpy T day. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Coffee and baked goods look great. Liverpool has really changed, but I loved my time there back in the 60s-and early 70s. Thanks for sharing the pics, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

The title made me laugh - after the explanation, that is!
I like the happy colors at TATE and the colored stones. The ship sure brightens the area, too.
Oh, poor man, did he get pooped on the head?
Happy belated T-day, Irisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You thought YOU were late. I'm even later. Sorry. I didn't actually see your link until I checked on today's post.

My memory is horrible, but what WOYWWer lives in Liverpool? I know it isn't Neet because she lives in the same "area" as you. Regardless, I loved seeing the latest photos from Liverpool and the Mersey. Beautiful photos and lovely art. I really liked Suter's installations. One year I exposed a bundle of paper and fabric for an entire year. My art didn't turn out as well as Suter's did!

I was really dazzled by that Dazzle ship. Never heard of this before. It certainly is colorful. I enjoyed seeing how the painting came together, too. That Picton Library was beautiful. I wish our libraries had such old world charm.

I remember reading about the Strawberry Fields children's home. It was fascinating how the Beatles used so many places near their home in their songs.

I'll take a croissant, too, but I want a cappuccino, please. I can get an Americano at my house any day, thank you.

Thanks for taking us to Liverpool and the great art you shared. Thanks too, for the trip to the supermarket and your snacks and drinks for T this Tuesday, which I didn't even see till Wednesday!

kathyinozarks said...

wow that must have been sad to know your old college was no longer there. great library though. I loved the misty photos-the photo with the boat is amazing-so many textures in that one-would make a nice piece framed.
enjoyed the tour of Liverpool Happy T hugs Kathy

Rita said...

I perused your post while listening to the Beatles singing Day Tripper. Alexa has some uses after all--ROFL! ;)

Krisha said...

OMGosh! I LOVED everything about your post.
Of course I was a HUGE Beatles fan, back in the day, and still enjoy their music.
That Library is a wonder to my eyes. We used to have a county library that was similar, but sadly they closed it and opened a much smaller, modern one. I love books and am sadden that they are starting to disappear from our world.
I devoured all your photos, such an interest place to visit.
That was one colorful ship LOL!
Belated T-day wishes.

Linda Kunsman said...

thank you Chris for another exciting and fabulous adventure!! Doesn't even matter that it was foggy and dreary- the buildings, the sculptures, the art made up for it :):) So interesting about the Guatemalan artist! Not long ago I watched a documentary about an artist who similarly leaves her WIPs out in the elements and I wish I would have written down her name. When some of her pieces were beginning to tear apart she'd use those pieces and collage them onto other art. Fascinating process for sure!
I am so with you regarding the almond croissant-yum. Happy belated T day!

Marjut said...

Lovely photos!

Eileen Bergen said...

Not a very nice day, weather-wise, but a lot of interesing sights. Except for your missing college. I have another song for you two, because no matter what happens, you always manage to have a good time. "Side by Side" by Patsy Cline ;-)

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous post! I love Liverpool and you visited some of my favourite places, I love the library there and the waterfront 😀. Sending you happy belated T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x