Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 8 June 2020

T Stands For......taking a walk...

Hi everyone! The weather changed last week from being very hot to very cold and eventually damp wet!! 
This was the opportunity we had been waiting for....we hadn't had a walk for ages, in fact the last time we walked any distance was way back at the end of March!

We had been past the path to the river once or twice on a short round the block walk and it always looked very busy by the river - we guessed (correctly) that most folk would be staying at home last Wednesday so we got our coats on and set off.

Not a soul around until we met one of our neighbours being pushed in her wheelchair by her son and after a quick - socially distanced - chat we were on the path!

The playground was closed - gates were chained (although on our second walk of the week on Friday someone had found a side gate and pushed it open and was there with his two children- while he was on his mobile phone!!) It is very overgrown and I hope it will be able to open properly soon!
 The island in the middle of the river seemed larger than we have seen it, but then we realised that a lot of the greenery has disappeared - probably down the river when we had the bad storms!

The heron found a sheltered spot though!
We walked back through the village. Not many folk around at all but it was very cold!

On Friday a slightly warmer day, we followed the same route but we took a walk through the housing estate - I would have liked to take a walk along the woodland path but hubby wasn't happy about the prospect of meeting someone on the narrow path so we walked to the other end for a look in the opposite direction just as some one disappeared from view!!








We haven't been out since, but are planning something special on Thursday!!

Yesterday as I pulled up our hallway blinds there was a horror story - a bird - we think a sparrow hawk had flown into our window.
I rushed out and looked over the rails but couldn't see anything, so I think the bird that did this...
...must have a had a headache for a while!
You can only see one wing clearly here and the breast features and feet but we could see both wings and a fanned out tail!

I am  trying to finish a travel journal that for one reason or another didn't get our last destination of Prague photos in it!
You may remember we visited Budapest, Vienna and Prague back in September 2018.
I had prepared some backgrounds in the A5 notebook but I had a little bag of scraps and glue etc .




 I added pages as necessary 


I only discovered that this was incomplete when I decided to have  reminisce and look through my old travel journals!!

In order to join Bleubeard and Elizabeth at the Altered Book Lover for T stands for Tuesday I have a photo of a treat we had last week!
While we have been in lockdown we have been sent a weekly menu of the food being cooked by our chef John! He has cooked some lovely meals over the years and we have often gone to the dining room to meet friends and have lunch! Since the dining room had to be shut, meals have been delivered to our door as long as we order in advance.
Over the years too there are special evening meals that are either cooked by John or a guest cook! 
We decided that to support the budget we would order at least one meal a week - it's often Fish and Chips as he makes the second best we have ever tasted!(The other being the Midland Hotel in Morecambe)

Last week we found that one of the guest cooks was repeating one of the meals that we missed while away once! Lots of people had told us how good it was, so when we saw that Kasia - one of the Duty managers was cooking her Polish Schnitzel we leapt at the chance to try it.

It was indeed delicious,and served with carrots and peas in a special sauce, marinated cucumber and potatoes with dill. We drank water with it.
The only downside to having the meals delivered is that for hygiene reasons at the moment they arrive on polystyrene plates!

I hope everyone is well and coping well in what is still quite a dangerous time - as my son keeps telling me  - if we go out in public we must wash our hands thoroughly!
We would without him telling us but it's good to be reminded by him!

Take care, thanks for looking, Chris




17 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Your walk looks lovely Chris. You must be happy to be able to get out and walk. I know I need that outside time. And your journal is looking great. I haven't heard of Polish schnitzel but I would try it myself also. Have a super T day. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You live in such a beautiful area. I can't imagine walking where there were no houses, since I live in a city. You are so lucky to be so close to nature.

Goodness, your travel journal impresses me. In a way, it reminds me of my 7 continents journal, BUT yours are from real life and my images come from travel magazines. I love some of those backgrounds and the added pages, too. They are wonderful.

I had to look up Polish schnitzel. Looks like it's a cutlet. I would LOVE the dill potatoes. That sounds like something I could eat all day. Thanks for sharing your walks, your beautiful journal pages you created, your Polish schnitzel and water with us for T this Tuesday, dear Chris.

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you were able to get out for a walk. Your travel journey looks good, lots of work to get it all together. Your meal with your hubby looks good. Happy T day, Valerie

Helen said...

Glad you have been out for a walk again and managing to avoid people. Your meals sound fab, (always nice to have it prepared by someone else) but shame about the plate!!

Iris Flavia said...

Looks like a lovely walk through the wild, but, oh, that poor bird!
Happened here also, poor fella sat for quite a while, but came out OK.

Ohhhh, Schnitzel!
Happy T-day!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Those look like nice areas to walk, but I understand your husband's caution about not wanting to go on a narrow trail where you might encounter other people. Many of the trails I like to go to are that way, so I haven't gone to any of them yet this year. Your travel journal looks great. Happy T-Day!

Note: you used the wrong link over at Elizabeth's, so I found this post by getting your blog link from last week's T-Day.

Meggymay said...

Good that you are able to get out for a walk Chris and you really timed things right so you didn't meet people. Our sons tell us the riverside walks are well used with folk not keeping apart as they should.
Your travel journal pages look fantastic as well.
The meal you shared sounds delicious and good that you have the opportunity to have a meal made and delivered by chef's that you know.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Mae Travels said...

The will of the public to avoid contagion was really impressive for a while but now one observer after another -- me and you included -- suggests that people are not acting selflessly any more. If they can sneak into closed spaces like playgrounds, or dominate the walking paths, or shop in yet-unopened spaces... they do it!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Chris-so good that you both were able to get in a nice walk-pretty area. so sorry for the bird that flew into the window.
and your meal sounds delicious. My Mom used to travel with a friend all over the world and always made journals of all them too-a great way to go back relive your trips
Ps for some reason the link on T goes to Elizabeths post haha just so you know.
Happy T hugs Kathy

Lisca said...

I had some trouble finding you. The link took me back to Elizabeth's blog. But I eventually found you by looking through some old blog posts and clicking on the 'archive' on the right.
I enjoyed seeing photos of your walk. I don't understand why you are so afraid of meeting anyone., As long as you are all wearing a mask and you don't actually touch each other or cough in each other's face, you should be OK. I'm sure you could pass another person without touching even on those paths.
Oh dear, that poor bird flew onto your window! That must have hurt!
Your journal of Prague looks really nice. I will be looking at it again, taking a closer look and then reading all what you wrote.
Your meal looks yummy. I like schnitzel. I'm not sure how a Polish schnitzel would be different, but I'm sure it was lovely.

Wishing you a happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Eileen Bergen said...

Lovely walk, you intrepid pair.

Oh, I hate when birds do that. If he was able to walk or fly away, he should be okay.

You just gave me a guilt trip over the travel journal gathering dust on my table. But good for you! It's such a nice way to preserve the memories. Photos aren't enough.

How nice to have such tasty meals delivered. There are a few resttaurant we can order from. I agree about the Styrofoam plates and always re-plate our food.

Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen xx

Linda Kunsman said...

How wonderful to be out on those walks in such lovely surroundings again Chris- warm or cold :)

Oh when I hear or see a bird hit a window....I never know if I can bring it back to life or not...and I have found them both ways. But I have never had any window damage-wow!

How wonderful to get to enjoy your delicious meals and support the restaurant.
Beautiful travel journal pages. And doing them now only takes you back to that marvelous time. Happy T day!

Kate Yetter said...

Your walk is full of beautiful scenery, particularly that house!

I loved seeing your travel journal. There is something wonderful about a travel journal with photos and hand-written notes.

The description of the foods that you have been eating sound very yummy!

Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a nice area to take a walk and lots of choices so you avoid crowds. Fun to work on your travel journal and relive the memories. Especially being able to travel where you wanted, when you wanted. Meals in restaurants. I do miss eating out! Your meal delivery sounds delicious, too. And though it's on polystyrene, less washing up to do. Take care and Happy T Day

J said...

Hi Chris, glad to find you eventually, you have some lovely walks nearby, we have to zig zag along the seafront as the spanish will never move over!

The meal sounds lovely, how nice that you can have meals delivered, our DIL is polish, they do love meat, especially pork, sounds lovely and at least you can throw the plate away afterwards.
Have a great week
Jan x

Halle said...

Nice photos from your walk. Your travel journal is looking good! I REALLY need to finish mine from last summer's trip. :)
Happy T day!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Schnitzel! Yum!!! Adoring your travel journal and photos of your walk, too. XOX