Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 23 July 2022

Benefits of ageing!

 Hi everyone, it's taken me a while to get to feel something like normal. I haven't been ill, but coming from a heatwave and a chaotic move through check in at Eurostar in Paris, followed by a heatwave here I've been slow to pick up a routine again.

I started this page on Tuesday but only just finished it this afternoon.

I often wonder while we are visited old properties what the original inhabitants would think of the places becoming tourist attractions.

I'm sure that the Cistercian monks at Riveaux Abbey(that we visited in June) and Fountains Abbey(that we didn't manage to visit), could never have imagined that having been forced out by Henry Vlll in the 16th Century, there would be people paying to go and enjoy walking around their ruined abbeys in the 21st Century.

Mavis is enjoying her retirement by visiting such places. She hadn't been looking forward to sitting at home...and then she realised...she didn't have to! 

The image is from my railway poster diary and I layered it with card and some scraps and a few magazine cuttings onto some stencilled arches, patterns and words.
I'm joining in at Art Journal Journey and Wendy's 'Doors and/or Arches' theme.

Thanks for looking, Chris 




10 comments:

Joan said...

What a pity you didn’t make it to Fountains, it’s so beautiful and the water gardens are stunning. Your page is lovely ,sure she enjoyed her visit. ( Fountains is just up tge road from us, you could have called for a cuppa😀)

Joan.

Helen said...

I would love to go to Fountains Abbey!
Glad you're recovering from the trip and the effects of the heat. I'm recovering from Covid!!
Great page.

Divers and Sundry said...

When aging brings time and resources to do those things that have been missed out on... what a treat!

My name is Erika. said...

Mavis has the right idea. And I think the same thing about visiting older places. What would the inhabitants think of us visiting them in our age? And what was it like then. I like to try to imagine people and life in general as it was. Great page Chis for Wendy's challenge. I hope you're feeling more like yourself again soon. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

I bet the monks wouldn't like the idea of women roaming around the property no matter what century. and I hope Mavis took the trip in the Fall as she's going to melt in her chic fur collared suit. Stay cool

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to laugh at CJ's comment. I suspect she is correct. they would be upset. But it's good Mavis went, regardless. Thanks for this beauty you shared with us using Wendy's theme at Art Journal Journey.

Neet said...

Fountains Abbey is wonderful and I love the picture of the arches you have found. A great journal page Chris, with a fabulous background.
Hope you regain your old self before too long.
Hugs, Neet xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page Chris and I hope you get to visit there in the future, its a lovely destination.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Chris! I love to imagine the previous inhabitants of old ruins and buildings. Those monks are probably turning in their graves!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a wonderful journal. I'm glad you're feeling better again in this extreme weather
Hugs -Elke