Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Thursday 5 November 2020

Firebird

Hi everyone, today is Bonfire Night in the UK (when I was younger it was known as Guy Fawkes Night but I think these days most people don't even know that the origin of having a bonfire was to burn an effigy of Guy Fawkes, who with others attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. I remember the fun of stuffing a pair of my dads old trousers and a jumper with paper or straw and making a funny face out of an old stocking and needle and thread. Building the bonfire was a serious business and we used to keep an eye on one of our neighbours who always built the biggest! My dad used to set off a few fireworks on our lawn too.

We were never allowed to take our guy out but often used to see children outside shops with their guys asking for a 'penny for the guy' before the night to go and buy fireworks - no safety rules in those days!!!  

I suppose the idea of burning someone was pretty gruesome and the tradition became less important. Of course this year there aren't any public firework displays but generally there can be quite a choice in an area - much better than having fireworks at close quarters.

My page today is fire related....

....it came about because I didn't like the background I had made. I covered some of it with red paint and then went around the edges with black paint to give an appearance of a fire in the centre. The choice of bird was easy, this inkadinkado bird has sparkly pen colouring(which sadly doesn't show here)I added some gold mica flakes around on the black and used the computer to add to the 'F' already added with texture paste. 

I am joining in at Art Journal Journey and Wendy's 'Birds' theme.

Thanks for looking, Chris

 

  

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page. I always wanted to go out with the guy and collect pennies, but y auntie never allowed it! Fun memories! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

we never made a guy but did have the bonfire and fireworks in the garden! there are loads going off round here; shame I can't see them from my seat on the sofa. Great page, love it - the background is intriguing, I really like it.

WendyK said...

Fabulous page Chris, love the fire effect. Thank you for yet another entry for my theme on AJJ.
Hugs Wendy.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Everything you have for days, interesting what you say about the past and your journal page has turned out to be fabulous, hug Elke

My name is Erika. said...

That's an interesting read about Fire Night. I think you used that idea to make a fabulous page. I love the explosion of color. It is really super. And nice idea to add the bird too. It makes great page for Wendy's challenge. Happy Friday Chris. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember creating a page in my art journal last year about Bonfire Night. I think you hosted that month and I did a bit of a tribute to Guy! This is really clever. I like how it appears the bird is fleeing the fire. Better than rising from the ashes, I believe. It's quite a clever entry, very colorful, and honors a ritual that is very British (which I love). Thanks for this lovely entry using Wendy's theme at Art Journal Journey, dear friend.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful page. And safer than a real fire, too.
Yes, back then safety was... not that important, Ii remember the fires we went to come Easter...

Neet said...

Absolutely beautiful Chris, I love the idea of the bird and the fire behind it. I have somewhere a phoenix so could use that and have it rising from the ashes which your LO reminded me of.
I too remember the Guy Fawkes `Night with the stuffed guy but ours was a "street" bonfire with a whole gang of kids collecting bonfire wood (not green wood, only the dead stuff) and guarding the "Bommy" to stop other gangs raiding some of our wood. I was always put on guard duty with my dog, a big black lab who was so soft and would not have hurt a fly but was of such a size that he and I could be deemed a force to be reckoned with. Happy Days!
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

Your firebird is fabulous Chris!
Have a lovely weekend.
Alison xx

Rita said...

Seems to me I saw a movie about Guy Fawkes.
Your page does have the look of flames bursting in every direction. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! The Firebird looks amazing against the background that you created and I'm loving all the lovely texture 😁. Wishing you a very happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

nwilliams6 said...

Love the Firebird idea. Your background is wonderful and love the page! Hugz