Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Sunday 8 November 2020

Feed The Birds

Hi everyone, sadly we aren't allowed to feed birds here, someone saw a rat around and all feeding had to stop last year! There was a charm of Goldfinches around at the time and some of were a bit upset about the ruling. We live near a river that floods easily, fortunately not in our direction but onto one of the golf courses, but there are bound to be rats around. I suppose because I was brought up in a rural area rodents were just something you dealt with! 

I have made a journal page with...something new to me...a Gecko Gals image! I have seen these images used in many ways on blogs recently (Mia, Aimieslee and Granne) and through a blog hop I found where I could find them.

I love this image of the kindly gnome bringing the birds a seed cake. It looks as though he really cares about the welfare of these birds as he has also put up a bunch of grain for them.

My page started by being a place to use up some leftover ink and over a few weeks was added to quite often with stamping and stencilling.

I printed and cut out the image and used a corner punch unearthed in my clean up, I also found part of a gelli print I made last year. I inked the edges of the image and added a sentiment  - a freebie I think!

I am joining in at Art Journal Journey where Wendy's theme is 'Birds'

I am also joining in at 

Gecko Galz 'White Christmas' Challenge for November

We haven't been out for a while, having been in a level 3 Covid alert area then into National lock down - we haven't been lazy, I have reached 5,000 steps easily each day and often do more but we are ready for a break from our surroundings we are planning to go somewhere we know is safe enough for us not to meet anyone else. We have abandoned all thoughts of walking by the river as folk don't often even attempt keep their distance and it seemed a lot busier last time we were there.

I may just take along some seeds for the birds!

Thanks for looking, Chris


 

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page, Gecko Galz often has pretty images and papers. I wish someone would bring me a seed cake just now! Been watching the coal-tits and blue-tits feeding on my balcony. We're not allowed to feed in the garden either because of rats coming from the stream next to the house, but it's allowed on the balconies. Have a good start in the new week, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's very sad when I hear the rules about not feeding the birds, my poor Neighbour was reported for feeding them a couple of years ago via an anonymous and very vindictive complaint. A ritual she did each day taking food up to the nature trail, now she can only feed in them in her garden.
How sweet the gnome is with his Christmas bird cake, what a lovely find that image was makes for a great page for Wendy's theme. Winter is coming!!
Have a super week hugs Tracey xx

My name is Erika. said...

I find it strange with covid numbers going up that people act as though nothing is happening. I hope you find a good place to go. I just adore this page. I have never been by Gecko Galz but this image is so sweet and charming I just might have to check it out. Too bad about bird feeding. I get opossums, no rats, but I am sure it attracts mice. And in nice weather the bears so I have to bring in feeders. I hope I am not told to stop feeding though. Happy new week. Stay safe. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How sad that you had to stop feeding the birds. I have two bird feeders and they have been empty all year because I can't get out to buy seed. But I love that adorable gnome that is caring for the birds as winter approaches. This is a great entry, Chris, with lots of movement and things to look at. Thanks for sharing this with us at Art Journal Journey using Wendy's theme. And I LOVE that corner punch. I thought you used a die cut.

Iris Flavia said...

A seed cake, such a cute idea.
Sad your birds have to go without...

Carole J said...

Hello Chris! I am so glad you found where to get your Gecko Galz images! Your journal page is beautiful and your write up made me really look into the image. If you scroll through the Gecko Galz blog there are some lovely images being given away at the end of each DT post. We also have a Facebook group where we have four challenges each month. Thank you for joining the Gecko Galz White Christmas challenge. We hope you'll join us again soon. x

WendyK said...

What a beautiful Winter page, gorgeous colours, and the composition is great. A fabulous image from gecko galz, I used to use them a lot and must have another look. Another wonderful entry for my theme, thank you. Hugs Wendy

Aimeslee Winans said...

wELL, Chris - Welcome to Gecko Galz Land! You may soon be moving to our Addiction Townsite. haha I can say this with conviction as I have over 1.5gigs of GG collage sheets, probably half of them free, and another 170mb of free single images. Owner Leanne is way too generous, she is a living doll saint. And wonderful DT as well. The Facebook group is wonderful so come join. LOVE this journal page! So beautiful! XOX

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Chris! I love it!
We had a little rat visiting our bird feeder in the Spring, but I haven't seen him recently. I thought he was quite cute, but maybe not if he'd come indoors!
Alison xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

this is a wonderful journal page!
Feeding birds is prohibited on our balconies. because too many are attracted, this is the purest plague with the jackdaws because of the nesting under the roof that clog the gutters and the ventilation shafts. Getting my laundry out is sometimes not that easy. My neighbor has a bird feeder next to it and then they come to me too. It's a shame about the smaller birds and we also have rats here, I've seen one before.
It's good that you know the ways where it is quiet, that's how we do it and for us it is increasing quite a bit with the Corona!
Take care and have a nice day, hug Elke

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

Cute and lovely Christmas Page, Chris!
I visit you from the Gecko Galz challenge in which I also participate. We have mutual friends and from today I follow you.
Regards from Spain