Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 4 October 2022

T. Stands For .........The Start Of The Journey

Hi everyone, we are definitely back in the old routine, as well as the unpacking of a huge pile of laundry to be done we have already had our flu jabs, about to go out for hubby's eye test and have made appointments for our Covid jabs. I have a gardening Committee meeting to attend and on Saturday I am off to Port Sunlight for the first time in three years. We're also off on a hunt for a new mattress soon too.

So....our trip to France started in a sad way. A lady at a services on the Motorway stopped me to tell me that the Royal family were on their way to Balmoral. Back in the car we turned on the radio and waited for a news bulletin which confirmed what I had been told. By the time we reached the ferry port the Queen had died and we felt sad, it didn't help that we couldn't access a TV either, although once on the ferry we did get to see some TV coverage before settling down to sleeping our bunks.


The crossing was reasonably calm although there was a heavy swell halfway across as I looked out of a porthole and my head moved up and down on my pillow when I settled down again.

I volunteered to take the first shift in driving (on the wrong side of the road E!) I knew of a commercial centre where we might find a bakery with a cafe so we stopped off there for a coffee and croissant.



 It is here where I will join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday at The Altered Booklover.

As you can see Hubby also had a pain au raisin and I had a brioche loaf that I couldn't manage all of.

We found somewhere for lunch and then got a little bit lost on our way to Nantes, where we had booked a hotel for an overnight stay, but pleased that our adventure led us to Locmine, a beautiful town that I had visited years ago.

Several of the trees around had flowers in like this one




The next morning, we woke up with a plan to visit Nantes but I wasn't feeling so good so we got on our way to Poitiers. 

We did see a beautiful sunrise though!
Our journey included a stop off at a retail outlet where I bought my SIL and I some beautiful warm scarves.

We arrived in Poitiers - it was good to see our friends and we had lots to talk about!  
They had also recorded some programmes about the Queen, so we could catch up a little with events.

Keeping it short this time. Thanks for looking, Chris




15 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Chris. Sorry you missed the queen dying. I watched as soon as the family were called to Balmoral. I watched as they arrived. Later, as more family was arriving, the news of the queen's death was broadcast.

Actually, if you check your facts, France drives on the RIGHT side of the road (grin).

You found some lovely murals and the flowers in the trees was almost surreal.

Nice to see T patiently waiting for you to take the photo of his and your coffees, croissants, his pain au raisin, and your brioche. Thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

Empire of the Cat said...

I do love a pain au raisin! Love your photos this week Chris, those trees with the flowers in and all those beautiful murals. Have a great week! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Your treats look tempting. Delicious! How shocking it must've been to have been there when you heard about the queen. I'm glad you got to see some of the video coverage. Happy T Tuesday!

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, beautiful pics!
Such great murals, too, you should join Sami on Mondays with these!
Happy T-Day (and yes. Sad the Queen is gone, she was a very special person).

Let's Art Journal said...

We were very sad about the Queen's passing too, it must have been a shock to find out while you were travelling! Glad you had a good time on your travels and well done for driving over in France, not sure I would have been brave enough ...lol 😊. Loving all your photos, the murals look so amazing. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

jinxxxygirl said...

I loved seeing those murals Chris.. So beautiful! I'm glad you recovered from not feeling well.. So nice that you and hubby get to do all this traveling.. Thank you for taking us along.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Helen said...

great pics Chris, looking forward to more over time!! great to catch up on Saturday.

DVArtist said...

A really nice post. The photos are just outstanding. You always take us on such a grand adventure. Thank you.

Cloudia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cloudia said...

I very much enjoyed this getaway. Thank you with my heartfelt condolences for the loss of the beloved monarch

Kate Yetter said...

Beautiful photos of France. The countryside is rural and lovely. Glad you were able to spend some time with your friends.
So sad about the Queen's passing.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Mae Travels said...

We had a fascinating visit to Poitiers once, years ago, invited by a friend to visit his parents in their huge house on a bluff overlooking the river valley. They told us stories of their activities in the French Resistance during the war, which was very interesting. I hope you post some photos of the area.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

This looks like such an interesting journey Chris. How long does the ferry ride take? Too bad about not being able to watch about the queen. That is an interesting diagonal side to the building in Nantes. and it's wonderful you were able to connect with your friends, and catch up a bit on the queen too. I hope you had a great T day. I hope everything goes well for you as it sounds like you are busy. Hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

I always thought that continental Europe drives on the RIGHT side of the road...
Poitiers is lovely, isn't it? I've always loved that city.

nwilliams6 said...

Yum on the food.

Sad about the queen.

Your pictures are beautiful and make me want to go so much!

More wonderful travel adventures, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Happy T-day a bit late. Hugz