Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 25 October 2022

T Stands For The History Lessons

 Hi everyone, I'm afraid I'm not spending long on this post. I have started some new medication (and dropped some others) but I'm feeling very tired today - it didn't help that I had to wait in the pharmacists for over 15 Minutes for just one box of medication that hadn't arrived with the rest!

I'm taking you back to France, hubby and I had another day on our own while staying with our friends. 

We were headed to Couhé but as we were so close to Lusignan we decided to stop and explore a little. The town seems to be split into the new and old town and it was the old town we wanted to see.

It has connections with Henry ll (husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine) and the first castle built here is said to be built my Melusine, a water sprite. 

The inhabitants of Lusignan are known as Mélusins or Mélusines











The old marketplace looks as though it is still in use









There was a multiple baptism ceremony in the church so we popped in at the back - we'll save the rest for another visit sometime!
The square was busy when we walked back that way

The story of Sister Jeanne Cherer's bravery can be read here
Blogger once again has decided that my photos don't need to be in order! It was such an interesting town but in order to get some lunch we had to leave.

My SIL had suggested a suitable place for lunch so we set off to find it. She had given us directions so it was quite easy to find.
The Promenade restaurant was quite busy and seemed popular with locals.
It's certainly an excellent place to visit for T Stands for Tuesday over at The Altered Book Lover where our hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth are there to welcome you with your drink related posts



Hubby got his Cafe Gourmand (expresso coffee and a selection of mini desserts) I didn't have a dessert but did manage to grab a couple of spoonsful of hubby's! We both had water, which you can see came in a jug with ice.

We liked this way of showing what possible allergies there might be connected to the menu


This is what we both chose and it was the most delicious Veggie burger I have ever had.

We moved on to the abbey - up a track quite close to the restaurant.
To celebrate Patrimoine weekend there was a guide to talk about the abbey's history.



Steps down to the pond - a bit overgrown now

The gates must have been huge, judging by the rusty hinge


We stood in front front of the house in blazing sun for around 30 minutes before I and another lady escaped to the shade of the gazebo. The guide was very interestsing but clearly loved the sun.
One of Eleanor's enemies built the abbey (she already had connections with Fontevraud where she was eventually buried)
The guide didn't speak English but I did manage to follow most of the history of Eleanor that he was talking about.
When he started to talk about the architecture I'm afraid hubby and I (along with a few others) went our own way.
The original abbey is fenced off as the ruins could be unsafe. 









It was still a fascinating building

There was an art exhibition in the house but I was so interested I forgot to take photos
Hubby did ..
I did find some conkers and a feather to make my own little piece of art though.......
..........and spotted this little chappie



I'm sure you've had enough history for one day - there's another lesson next week. but for now, time for me to have a rest.

Thanks for looking, Chris
I'll be around tomorrow to visit!  










11 comments:

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Chris, hope you feel better soon, and less tired, changes in meds can do that too can't they. Another beautiful place but I got distracted looking at the menu and that veggie burger! That looks really delicious and comes with house chips yay and cornichons which I love! A potato galette in the burger? That's interesting. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

Chris thank you for sharing these wonderful photos in the wake of you not feeling 100%. Please take care of yourself and rest your body. I know how fatigue can effect the rest of your body. Much love.

Sharon Madson said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos of when you were in France. Lovely meal, and good, that hubby shared his sweets with you. We always get water when we go out, cheaper that way. I hope that you get to feeling better. Hugs.

My name is Erika. said...

I always learn so much about history reading about trips to France. You definitely captured the feel of Lusignan-at least the old part. It is really fascinating to try to imagine what life was like there at that time. I try to picture people in the streets and in the market. I love doing that. I hope you adjust well to your new med, and feel better from that adjustment soon. Hugs-Erika

Helen said...

I hope you adjust to your new medication soon. the trip was very interesting, I'd not be able to follow it in French at all! Fabulous photos, thanks for sharing.

Rita said...

I hope you're feeling much better. :)

Iris Flavia said...

Changing meds is always scary, I wish you all the best!
This looks like a great tour and a restaurant full of locals is a guarantee for good food :-)
I remember our holiday in Tuscany - we went to a little shop with a looooong queue. Best pizza ever. Margarita, nothing more :-)
Belated happy T-day and adjust soon x

CJ Kennedy said...

So fun to step back in time. I like how it looks like you have the whole town to yourself. Lunch looked good. I'd like to try the artisanal ice cream. I hope you're feeling better. Happy T Day

Valerie-Jael said...

Hope the new meds do you good. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm having a terrible time trying to leave you a comment. I keep getting "failed to publish, return later."

I am sorry to read you are not well and are quite tired. I don't take medication, so I am sure that can be stressful.
I know how fond of Eleanor of Aquitaine you are, so that must have been very special.

Looks like you two had a lovely lunch. And T's dessert is making me hungry. Water is definitely a smart move. thanks for sharing this history lesson, the great food and water with us for T this week, dear.

Divers and Sundry said...

I hope the medication change helps. I'll join y'all for some espresso and a few of the tasty dessert treats. Sweet! Happy T... ummm... Thursday ;)