Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 26 January 2021

T Stands for The Evacuation...and Wanderlust!

Hi everyone, this time last week I would have thought the last thing to occur to a couple living in a first floor apartment would be to be evacuated because of danger of flood!

Last Wednesday evening we watched the local news and heard that the nearby river levels were getting very high. About 30 minutes later one of our managers came to our door and asked us to prepare an overnight bag - just in case! 

At this time it had been raining heavily for two days but had stopped. We didn't ask any further questions and when she had gone had a little laugh about it not being very likely that any water would even reach our complex let alone the 1st floor!

About 30 minutes later we looked out to see snow, real big flake snow that was settling - exciting and beautiful and later in the evening we went from window to window taking photos!




The last photo taken was at 10.42pm and then we settled to watch one of our favourite programmes.

Just after 11.00pm our intercom system crackled into life and it was the voice of the manager (never usually around in the evenings) with the announcement that she regrets to tell us that the police had advised that we leave and to await further instructions - we have a small carpark and it would have jammed very quickly. We hadn't been told where we might go so when another Duty Manager came to our door we asked...there were two alternatives - a community centre where they were evacuating most of the village or to go to relatives....

A quick assessment by us both - one son starts work very early, another lives out of area and the other although officially in area was farther away! We gave our middle son a ring - fortunately still up and he told us to come along!

Our car, not used for ages, thankfully started first time and we set off out of the gate onto slippery snow. When we got to the main road gritters had been out. We had seen lots of police cars and police on foot going from door to door in the village. 

As we got on the motorway we saw a sign informing us that the motorway was closed from the junction before we wanted to get off. 

I got my phone out to find a detour route and then we had to stop, of course, lots of other vehicles were queuing to get off! We soon found our way to some familiar roads and finally reached our son's house!

He had set a bed up for himself in the living room and changed his bedlinen so that we could use his bed! By this time it was around 1.00am.

He had to leave to get to the school where he is working with key workers children by 8.20a.m so we didn't see much of him. Classroom assistants are in school while the teachers teach from home - he also has to use the computer to help the children at home.

This was our bedroom view
I was surprised to see how tall the stems on his Yucca plant had grown, but since then have noticed that some in a nearby garden have also grown.

We realised that we hadn't actually visited his home since we left our caravan!

We both had appointments for blood tests at midday and I rang to try and change them only to find that there was nothing else until 15th March so decided to drive back for them and hope that we were safe to return to our apartment!

One happy event to come out of our visit was the chance to chat with my Granddaughter...from a distance...before we left! Missed seeing my Grandson though, he doesn't get up very early apparently!!!

We reflected afterwards that we deliberately avoided visiting family all year but then ended up...with a more dangerous strain of Covid19 around...having a sleepover!!!

Since then we have caught up on sleep and we definitely appreciate the safety of our apartment!

We have completed another Wanderlust class together - which included making self portraits. Another few afternoons of laughter and enjoyment!

I used my word for this year. I used part of a map of France and a sugar wrapper from a cafe in Paris on my background 
Hubby chose one he felt appropriate  - I teased him that he wanted to give himself more hair! He used some Lion's eyes from a napkin in his background

As I am here to join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday I have a new drink we tried - Kefir fruit drink.

It was bit gloopy for me and I added some milk, but very tasty - we have bought more!

We also had more snow...



...but I still have some sunshine for you!
This was from when we went to Carcassonne in 2017 - we went for a day trip to Narbonne (I showed the cafe here the other week) This was by the Canal du Midi.

Thanks for looking, Chris  


 




  



15 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Wow! So much -too much- excitement, but I'm glad it all worked out and you got to see family. Odd that these 2 dangers -flood on one side, virus on the other- should cause problems at the same time. It sounds like y'all managed to navigate your way through it all.

Happy T Tuesday!

Mae Travels said...

The really good news, if I understand correctly, is that your home was not in fact flooded! That would be a disaster. Lucky that you had someone to take you in. Good luck with no more excitement.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sally H said...

Thank goodness it all turned out okay in the end! Loving your wanderlust portraits! they are fab!

LA Paylor said...

wow how scary.... your artwork is awesome, we're getting snow all day today

My name is Erika. said...

That was quite the adventure. Glad everything turned out OK and you were both fine. Also that your apartment management is so on the ball and your home is ok. And I love the self portraits. I had to laugh at your comment about your husband giving himself more hair. Maybe he is making a portrait of himself at a younger time? Smile. And I like kefir. I haven't had it in a long time. Perfect T day drink. Stay safe. And hope it was a nice T day after all that excitement. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It took me awhile to realize your FIRST FLOOR is really what we in the states call the SECOND FLOOR. Your first floor is called the GROUND FLOOR, if I remember correctly from what Sami told me once. So glad the evacuation went well, at least and you had a place to go instead of the Community Center. it's great you had family to turn to.

Your self portraits are both great. I can't draw a thing, so really enjoyed both your portraits. T DOES have more hair in his self portrait (grin).

I've never heard of that drink, but it sounds decent. The gloppy part not so much, though. Thanks for sharing your harrowing experience, your self portraits, and your Kefir fruit drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

I’m glad you can be excited about snow. Wow that must have been some rain. Good that you were able to get to your son’s safely, and that your apartment wasn’t damaged. Love the fact that you are taking classes together and the portraits are awesome. Enjoy your snow. Happy T Day

kathyinozarks said...

Wow Chris you both had quite an adventure to get through. Glad everything worked out ok-bummer about the roads too. the snowy photos are lovely. I love that your two do art together-that is so special and sweet.
Hugs Kathy

Helen said...

Thank goodness you had somewhere to go - I am not sure I'd have felt safe at a community centre in the middle of a pandemic! glad it turned out not to be for long and that you got home quickly. Not what I was imagining when you mentioned evacuation last week! Great snowy pics though. Take care and stay safe!

Helen said...

Meant to say, love your self portrait! I do think yours was the most successful of the two of you.... but then T's was way better than I could do of me!! Love that he is joining in with classes. xx

Rita said...

Goodness! What a night! I'm glad you were okay and made it to your son's. Here after being cautious all this time you suddenly were overnight guests--LOL! Life is an adventure!

Love that you two are doing Wanderlust together!! I look forward to seeing what each of you has done. :)

Eileen Bergen said...

What a nightmare! I'm glad you're back home safe and sound.

Your self portraits are terrific. It's very cool that you're doing the lessons together. I love your attitude - both of you! I'm trying to learn to enjoy the process and focus less on the outcome.

Happy T-day! Stay safe and well. Hugs, Eileen

Linda Kunsman said...

Well that was some set of experiences for you and hubby - wow! Glad you were able to stay with one of your sons and get a bit of rest before another questionable day ahead.
yes, the snow does look pretty but i still don't want it:):)
I think it's super that hubby is doing the art projects with you and the portraits are both wonderful-great job both of you!
I've never tried kefir but have no desire to as I never liked any kind of milk.
Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly. A happy belated T day!

nwilliams6 said...

Sounds like a fun adventure although I know you were worried. Glad you are safe and not having to deal with flood recovery in your house.

Love your self portraits - so brave. I am not sure I could do one of me. I may try though.

Your new drink sounds interesting!

Really love all your pictures!

Hugz

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well, that was an adventure! So glad your apt. didn't flood. My area is still recovering from Hurricane Harvey flooding so much of it in 2017, we are lucky to live on the highest ground around and were spared from the local bayou rising and causing the damage. Love y'all's portraits, you both did good jobs. I'll pass on that kefir and I don't do soy either, so more for you, lol. Have a great week! xoxo