Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 1 December 2020

Ramble alert!

Hi everyone, I'm here with a page for the start of Tracey's theme for December at Art Journal Journey  which is entitled 'The Meaning Of..'

Reading Tracey's introduction my mind went racing around with all sorts of ideas and this page wasn't one of them!

I have already alerted you in the post title that I may will ramble a bit. Today is a day of memories for me!


It is the first page I made in this black journal. If I say it was made years ago and then tell you that it was 2008 and that it was around the time my Mum passed away on 1st December, and also the day my dad passed away in 2004. I won't go into details but I had a feeling that Mum had passed about an hour before my brother rang me to tell me!

This is the original page

I had always crafted with my Mum as a child, we used to sew and knit but also things like basket making, painting, homemade cards each Christmas(the colour in type on sale then), rug making, glass painting and more!

My original idea was to make pages about my Mum and just couldn't do it then but looking through old photos I decided to use a black paged book to make some pages.

The image is the view from the front gate of the cottage where I grew up. The trees across the road are mainly Horse Chestnut trees and you can imagine many years of collecting conkers for me and my brother.

They were in a field belonging to a farmer and just out of sight is the entrance to the farm, a Horse Chestnut lined avenue leading up to the Farm. To the right of where I was standing was one of the entrances to the nursery where my dad worked. My brother and I used to spend a lot of time at the farm, on the nursery and also at the farm right of where I was standing.

I did a little bit of hidden journaling behind some patterned vellum. 

Of course, the start of my recent crafting journey began here and I am grateful for the reason for starting being down to my Mum!

I have a couple more pages already made but just yesterday I looked at this page and changed my mind and altered the original page a little! I think the photo shows up more now and I hope I'm not breaking any rules here.

We hope to see what your pages mean to you this month, I suspect that a lot of won't be having such a busy Christmas this year!

Thanks for looking, Chris




10 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is beautiful, Chris. I don't think you've broken any rules if you haven't shown this on your blog before. This is a great way to honor your mother and share a very meaningful entry, too. Thanks for this first shared inspiration with us at Art Journal Journey.

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

I think it is very difficult to work on black pages, but you have solved it wonderfully, Chris.
You grew up in a dream place, it looks like the setting of a Christmas story.
I really love this page!
Kisses from Spain

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I find it very brave to watch or feel this memory during this time and you have started this diary beautifully with it and wish you all the best! I love your work !!!
Love hug Elke

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Good morning Chris, i'm so glad you rambled today it's good for our wellbeing and when you share such a meaningful piece it means all the more to me and exactly what I intended with the theme of *The Meaning of*. A beautiful and thoughtful piece, the black journal really intensifies that wonderful scenery. How lovely it must have been to see it change throughout the seasons. No harm in tinkering a little more with our pieces, I'm guilty of it more than non.
I hope you share more along with the rambles from this very precious journal.
Sending extra ((Hugs)) your way today Tracey xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page Chris, and special for you as it holds lots of memories. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a heartfelt post Chris, not a ramble at all. My Dad passed on October 1 and I always think of him on that day, so I understand where you are coming from. I think this page is a wonderful memory page and certainly worth posting. Happy December! Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Such a touching post. You must really miss your mom and such a tribute to her that you still love the crafting to this day. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, such a fabulous journal! I love the idea of working on black, seems we had the same thought if you take a look at my journal page today ...lol 😀. Beautiful frosty pages and the vellum looks perfect against the background too. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x
p.s. sorry I haven't been visiting lately, I was suffering with migraines last week and couldn't cope with the brightness of the laptop screen so no blogging for me - boo hoo! On the mend now but not 100% so probably won't be able to catch up on all of the posts I've missed, many apologies! xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page on a black base Chris. I've had a lovely visit and catch up and ejoyed seeing the photos and your art.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

nwilliams6 said...

So lovely, Chris. The black pages are perfect, the picture is fun and full of meaning, and the snowflakes are such a super finishing touch. Memories are so wonderful but come with so many emotions attached. I know it was a bittersweet page for you. Lovely share and make. Hugz