Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 22 December 2020

T Stands for - The Christmas Lights...and more..

Hi everyone,last week we had a special day here - the Turkey and Tinsel meal that I showed you last week and it was also the day that Santa visited and one of our village councillors came round to judge the best decorated Balcony!

We knew that we didn't stand much chance as we have an enclosed balcony but we knew that a lot of folk were hoping to win the free meal on offer!

As it happens it went to some friends of ours who not only decorated their balcony(or rather patio as they are on the ground floor)as a snow scene but also dressed up as elves!

I saw the photos of them but unfortunately forgot to get a copy myself.

I did however walk around the grounds, first to see what remained of their display...


...and then into the main courtyard





I tried to take photographs from all angles - it really does look fabulous
Over one of the walls is the back of the local pub
The next few are of the courtyard below our kitchen window


Last one from the stairs.
 When I got in I took some photos of our lights



Some of you may remember my being inspired a few years ago by Alison of Words and Pictures blog and converting an old instant drink container into a lamp lit by a battery candle. 

I told you we had given up on the square puzzle that wouldn't fit our puzzle bag, well, here is the new one we have started.

We are getting on quite well with it, although we do stop for a drink if we really get into it so it is here I will join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T stands For Tuesday.
 
I have been trying to care for a Poinsettia - I did say trying, over the past week a lot of green leaves fell off, leaving me with just a few.
This is how it looks now.
I would say I lost over a dozen small leaves and fortunately the drop seems to have stopped now.

I'm still not going in my craft room very often, in fact this morning I chose sorting through old bank statements to going in there!

Finally I will tell you about the 'hand gel incident'. When we went into a nearby shopping mall last week for a flying visit(with a list we were round and out well inside an hour!)I went into one store where the assistant at the front asked me where I wanted to be while I rubbed in the hand sanitiser. She remarked that not many people used it and she wasn't allowed to tell folk to use it. I decided that I jolly well could, so to the next three people(all men) I pointed out that they had walked past the pump - all of them walked back and used it...then came a woman, who stared hard at me then pushed past muttering that I didn't work there! I shrugged my shoulders and went to get my shopping. I wonder if she would have gone back if asked by the assistant.

My sister in law and hubby went into a shop in France just after using their own sanitiser - the assistant there insisted that they use the store one saying that he needed to see them put it on!

What's the saying? 'Go figure?'

I wish you all a very Happy Christmas, we can do this, although it's hopefully for one year only!

Thanks for looking, Chris


18 comments:

Mae Travels said...

My pointsetta is definitely dead and out of the house, I'm sad to say. I think it needed much more watering than I gave it. Yours looks much better.

I hope you enjoy the holidays -- your neighbors are really making it look festive.

be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Congrats to your friends winning the display contest. that should have been a fun event for everyone involved. enjoyed the photos.
I have started doing allot of puzzles on my computer from photos-either on the site or upload my own-they are fun to do its called jigsaw planet. you can make the puzzles as easy or as difficult as you wish.
Merry Christmas Chris

Helen said...

your apartments look fabulous - people have really made an effort this year, there are some gorgeous lit houses round here. I've never had much luck with poinsettia's - the don't like it too warm do they I think. Hope you have a good Christmas.

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

I hope you enjoy the holidays, Chris. Your neighbors are really an artists with the lights!!
Merry Christmas
Hugs from Soain

Karen said...

The lights look terrific! I like trader Joes idea of standing at the door with the hand sanitizer and greeting people with a squirt. I think it's smart. Happy puzzling and enjoy the season!

Divers and Sundry said...

Beautiful decorations, inside and out :) I hadn't given any thought to hand sanitizer, but it is available in many store entrances, and I should use it even if I just came straight from home. Happy T Tuesday!

Joan said...

All looks very festive Chris, most people in our close have Christmas outside lights but we gave up on them a few years back, when we came here 23 years ago we were the only people to have them, now we are about the only ones not to. We were the youngest people then , now we are the oldies! Hope you have a lovely Christmas

Joan x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a delightful display where you live. It's a great way for people who live there to take pride in their balconies and residences. Your photos are lovely. Your home is lovely at night, too. Love the display on your shelf.

I always wear disposable gloves, even when I go out to check my mail. If someone asked me to use the sanitizer, I would have to remove my gloves to do so, and they are filled with cornstarch for easy access, but once you remove them, they are practically impossible to get back on. However, I DO like the idea of sanitizer. When I see the wipes in the store (before covid), I always grabbed one to wipe my cart. I wonder if they still offer those.

I can't wait to see your completed puzzle. It looks lovely from what I could see when I enlarged the photo. I got a kick out of Santa's sleigh being driven by a reindeer in a "watch for" triangle. That was really clever. Thanks for sharing your balconies, your puzzle, and your coffees with us for T this Tuesday.

Actually, your poinsettia looks better than mine. There are no green leaves on mine, just the red ones. I'm sure it is healthy, and I now suspect I'm not watering mine often enough.

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, I love that everyone has decorated their windows and all those lights look so amazing! So lovely to see your community coming together to spread some Christmas cheer - perfect 😁. It always amazes me how people don't follow the guidelines, don't they know it's for their own good? Happy T Day and wishing you a wonderful Christmas! Hope you had a lovely birthday! Hugs, Jo x

Kate Yetter said...

Lovely light displays. I especially like the one in the coffee pot. Twinkling lights inside the house always look so festive.
Happy Tea Day and Merry Christmas,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

So many beautiful lights Chris. It is so festive. Not only in your complex, but also in your home. Your mantel looks beautiful with all those various shaped lights. You have some gorgeous ones. I like your holiday puzzle too. You've reminded me I need to get back to mine. I hope you had a wonderful T day and also that you have a happy Christmas too. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, great idea with the contest. Have a happy Christmas, hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful post. I love the idea of a contest. Very nice photos. Have a great day and a wonderful christmas.

CJ Kennedy said...

All the lights and decorations look so festive and congrats to your friends winning the prize. Every store has their own rules. I just figure when in Rome. Happy T Day

Rita said...

Such pretty lights all over! And then we got to see yours, too.
I don't understand the people who won't use the hand sanitizer, either. Some places are stricter and some not at all here, too--whether masks or sanitizer or distancing. Stay safe! :)

Sharon Madson said...

Ohh, the lights and decorations are so pretty. Go Figure is right! So many different opinions on the masks and sanitizers etc. LOL We are staying at home for Christmas and skyping our kids in another state, rather than traveling. We will unwrap our gifts and even play games with each other over the skype. I baked, put up a tree and trying to make it festive. Thanks for sharing your pretty decorations. Merry Christmas!

Eileen Bergen said...

How lovely, Chris. You live in a magical complex. I've admired your photos many times.

Your mantel display is wonderful! The puzzle looks very challenging. It will be impressive when/if you finish it - lol.

Happy T-day and Happy Christmas! Hugs, Eileen

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely decorations. Merry Christmas and Happy belated T-Day!