Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 29 December 2020

T Stands for ....This Christmas

Hi everyone, I'm trying and to catch up with everyone by taking breaks every so often when I am on the computer! It's taking longer than I had hoped!

This Christmas has been different for us all this year, whether it was in the way we bought our food, who we shared it with or how we celebrated the day. With reminders here in the UK about the rise in cases of Covid or the last minute plans for our leaving the EU even watching the news this year has been different - not so many items on folk decorating their houses or the queues for the after Christmas sales!

After our traumatic visit to the shopping mall we haven't ventured out - it has been wet and grey and we have been happy to do our jigsaw puzzle(coming along nicely)read, watch TV or cook!

Mind you, our Christmas Day cooking almost came to an end just as everything was almost cooked! 

I decided to steam the Christmas pudding rather than use the Microwave so put it on the back of the hob ready to turn on later. Hubby being helpful said he would put it on, then the news came on and we stopped to watch an item together. I could smell the food cooking, but there was something else...I looked into the kitchen to see billowing steam...except ...it wasn't steam but smoke! Hubby had left an oven glove on the front of the hob and then turned on what he thought was the pudding and the oven glove singed - quite badly, I grabbed it and fortunately there was some water in the sink so threw it in there. Unfortunately...I leaned across to open the window and inhaled some of the smoke, coughing I went to the front door...meanwhile our excellent smoke detector set off the alarm...in every apartment in the complex (this is normal - and a safety issue we are used to) I had to try to get a message through to the duty manager who actually contacted us through our intercom system and I had to admit to a false alarm!

In the end our meal turned out beautifully and we enjoyed it.

As you can see hubby here raising his glass to you.

I am joining in over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog with T Stands For Tuesday with his glass of Rosé. 

He still has to clean the burnt on oven glove off the hob ring. I didn't take any photos as he's been through enough!!!
update - he ordered a hob scraper which arrived and he has almost cleaned it all off
On Christmas morning I had a few presents to open, one of my favourites was this from my eldest son and daughter in law....
 It really is beautiful and will be put on display with my others.

Another gift from my friend Sarah came in the most beautiful wrapping.

It had been lovely to see her when she came so that we could swap gifts. It was very cold out on the landing but we were able to have a quick chat!

Inside was a fabulous stamp set.

Now for a bit of a sad story...

My Poinsettia doesn't like our apartment!

I haven't over watered it, it's in a warm place but ...nope!!!

This morning we woke up to SNOW! We hardly had any last year so, after taking a few photos from the windows....






...we went out after breakfast as it looked as though the thaw was starting.

We decided on a round trip by the river and back up the nearest road.

We looked back at the old inn! I really hope that they don't plan on knocking it down.
The water was rushing over the weir.

In one direction very calm...

then it rushes over the weir...
..and the little island is disappearing..
The heron oversees all.


I could resist walking on some clean snow in the little car park and came across more foot prints!

A little garden outside a house....and then I went for a little walk in the garden here.




We have only been out four times in December but a walk in the snow (and cold) today really cheered me up!

Thanks for looking, Chrisx








15 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

That's some excitement I can live without, but all's well that ends well as they say :)

Snow sounds more like the excitement I'd like :) Your walk looks lovely.

Eileen Bergen said...

How fortunate that you smelled the burning glove in time to prevent a full blown fire! Also, I'm glad your dinner wasn't ruined!!

Nice you could sneak in a walk after the snow. Everything looks magical.

That's a great photo of hubby toasting us all.

Happy T-day and a Happy (Improved) New Year! Hugs, Eileen

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh dear, lucky you didn't go out! Glad you enjoyed your food in spite of it all! Lovely photos, too. Happy T Day, stay safe! Hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

So good to hear that you had no lasting damage from your fire, and were able to enjoy a good meal despite the excitement! Your walking tour looks lovely in the snow.

be safe and have a good New Year's holiday... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Wow what a wait to have some excitement-lucky it did not turn to flames. don't feel too bad I did the same thing last week. I am still not totally used to this electric stove-I have always had gas. I thought I had turned the burner off and set the mit on top-same thing lots of smoke-I was in the kitchen so caught it early.
I enjoyed all of the photos from your walk-a pretty neighborhood. It's been cold here but snow or ice as of yet.
Happy T and Happy New Year 2021

Helen said...

I do like a snowy scenery but not much trying to get anywhere in it, you were lucky that you could get out and enjoy it before it goes. Good job you didn't have too much damage to your kitchen other than the oven glove!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Boy, you were right, Chris. Mr. T isn't innocent in this post, but he did provide me with a bit of laughter, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Enough said, dear T.

I LOVE your pear. It is beautiful and will be a good addition to your collection. I also like how your friend knows you so well, and can't wait to see how you use your new stamp set. Maybe one of these days you could teach ME how to stamp, too.

I really enjoyed seeing your walk after the snow. It seems once it snows, there's a sort of quiet calm that is magic. I really enjoyed seeing more photos of the area where you live.

Thank you so very much for sharing your walk, your gifts you received, your potential meal disaster, and the wine you had for Christmas dinner with us for T this Tuesday. And thank you again beyond belief for the wonderful gifts. You will surely see many pop up as 2021 unfolds.

My name is Erika. said...

That was an exciting start to your Christmas dinner. Good thing you smelled smoke and even more important is that everything is OK. Your meal looks delicious. Nice stamp set and beautiful pear shaped dish also. That is a lovely Christmas gift. And your snow photos are beautiful. Too bad it didn't fall on Christmas so you could have a white one, but it was close enough so you can say it was. Kind of an in between Christmas and New years. Hope it was a wonderful T day-even with the snow, and Happy New year! hugs-Erika

Isabel para ALROMASAR said...

The gifts you have received are beautiful and the landscape around you is very beautiful, Chris
I'm glad the glove fire was just a scare.
Happy 2021
Hugs from Spain

Rita said...

So glad the fire didn't get any worse!!
What a sweet stamp set...that you will put to good use, for sure. And a beautiful pear. Great gifts!
Poinsettias always used to do that to me so I quit getting them years ago--LOL! Obviously, I am no help as to why--LOL!
The snow is just beautiful. A walk outside was just what you needed, I guess. Have a good day. :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post! I loved seeing the snow and I would have gone out walking in it too - perfect 😁. We had some small snowflakes falling today for about 15 minutes, it didn't settle but was so exciting ...lol! Your presents and meal look wonderful too. Happy T Day, enjoy the rest of the festive season and all the best for 2021! Hugs, Jo x

DVArtist said...

Thank goodness you caught the steam/smoke before it got any worse. Lovely gift from your son and DIL. I love seeing the photos of your area too. Stay warm and many wishes for 2021.

Sally H said...

glad to hear the oven glove was the only real casualty! Your snow pictures look great! Hope 2021 is a much better year for us all, although it will take a while I think. Sending hugs x

CJ Kennedy said...

I know it wasn't then, but a funny story could only go along with this year. I'm glad the Christmas pudding wasn't sacrificed like the oven mitt. Happy T Day and a better 2021

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry I´m late again.
I had to stop reading after the fire.. I´d passed to the ground and hope you´re OK. Great pictures then, but I feel all dizzy. To a good 2021! Without burnings...