Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 29 January 2022

Mucha and too much!!!

Hi everyone, first I have a journal page for Erika's 'Let's Face It' theme at Art Journal Journey.


We went for a walk yesterday and called to the garden centre afterwards. They were selling this years calendars at 70% off and we get an extra 10% with our loyalty card so I got an Alphonse Mucha calendar with 12 images and a gilded front cover for just over pound.

I partially cut her out and then used some of my paper hoard to layer up a background.

A little bit of stamping and stencilling before I stuck it all down and then added some die cut leaves and a velum quote. Mucha was born in what is now the Czech Republic but in his 30's moved to Paris where he became part of the Art Nouveau movement. I found this quote that I just felt was right. Although Mucha lived in Paris for most of his life he returned to his homeland to end his days there. 

I told you the other day that that I walked 18,550 steps, but by the time I went to bed my fit bit was showing a much higher figure.

We took our car for a recall on a part for our car in Salford - it is quite a way from home so we planned a day out. Unfortunately there is no public transport from the garage so we walked into Manchester




This is a recent installation made by Emma Rodgers - it has references to the many 'firsts' that Salford is proud of as well as famous citizens. 
I have a link here that contains a video and information - it makes for interesting reading.
As we walked I noticed so many beautiful buildings - we went into Salford Cathedral but didn't take any photos (maybe next time)
The last time I saw this old building it was surrounded by rubble.

We finally caught sight of where we were headed - Manchester cathedral
A statue of Ghandi and behind him the Cathedral Visitor Centre that also has a cafe  - so coffee first and then to the cathedral.
I have only ever been in the Cathedral once and that was for an event that we didn't stay to.
I can't believe what I have been missing these last 27 years - it really is a most beautiful cathedral 








The next part I will show you was bombed in World War ll, the damage caused is shown in photos.

This window is called the Fire Window as it reflects what happened here















I think these seats need further investigation one day
The outside is just as interesting. carvings, gargoyles 

At the back of the Cathedral is the Memorial garden commemorating the lives of 22 people killed in the bombing at the Manchester Arena in May 2017. 

There is place to sit and reflect, and each person has a space for flowers to be left in their memory

We left the cathedral and walked closer to the city centre
Along with all the modern buildings there are signs of an older Manchester - this inn was moved to make space for a shopping centre

On the way back to Salford we saw a fairly modern building being demolished - so many wires!
Well, that took a little longer than I intended, the computer decided to go on strike in the middle and wouldn't let me do any more. When I restarted it my priority had to be our food order. 

I hope you enjoyed your tour - we shall be tourists in our own city again soon!

Thanks for looking, Chris














 


10 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Breathtaking! It must be wonderful to have a place like that to explore.

Helen said...

wow!! the work by Emma Rodgers is fabulous, but what a beautiful spectacle the cathedral is for sure! Those stained glass windows are stunning. I bet you'll find excuses to go back again now! that modern building being demolished is quite a difference to the photos of the war damage! the times we live in... thanks for sharing.

My name is Erika. said...

That calendar was a fantastic bargain Chris. I love what you did with that Mucha image. She's a beauty as is your page. Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece. And I really enjoyed the visit to Manchester Cathedral. It's gorgeous and those stained glass windows are amazing.The Emma Rodgers installation is also amazing. Thanks for sharing these Chris, and it looks like you got lots of steps in. Hurrah for that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend Chris. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

About 20 years ago, the museum where I now work had a Mucha exhibit. Just gorgeous. I wish they would bring the exhibit back. Love your page. I was humming Manchester Cathedral as I was looking at your photos. The stained glass windows and architecture is just stunning. The fire window is breath-taking and I like the phoenix on the altar cloth rising from the ashes.

Gerrina said...

So nice to see the photos! We have been in Manchester a few years ago and walked a lot through the city; I recogniced some of the places we have seen! Good memories to think abaut! And I love all the parts of your AJ Page! Enjoy the weekend!

Meggymay said...

Fantastic photos from your walk Chris, it must have taken you a while on the walk to get so many super camera shots.
I love your journal page and it is a great idea and one I have used in the past to recycle old calendar pictures, you got a real bargain and I look forward to seeing what illustrated the other months in it.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Neet said...

Love Mucha's work, his ladies always please bnutthen I am a big fan of all things Art Nouveau. I'd love a home filled with AN treasures. So not surprisingly I love your page today.
That's a great sculpture in Manchester - would love to see it in person, whereabouts is it please?
Fab trip through our city.
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

A beautiful page Chris, I love the Mucha lady.
Interesting photos today. Our son lives in Salford, although Covid has meant that we've never visited him at his current address. Hopefully we'll be heading up in the summer to help him move into the new house he's buying. The cathedral looks beautiful, I'd love to visit it one day.
Hope you're having a lovely weekend.
Alison

nwilliams6 said...

Chris, what a perfect AJJ page for you. You and Paris were made for each other. Love it. Love all these great pictures of your local visit a well. That cathedral is gorgeous! Wow. I love the buildings. Looks like a great place to visit. I am totally impressed by your step count! Hugz

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a bargain Chris you made good work with that Mucha calendar you lady rests so naturally upon the layered page. Great to see so many pics of Salford/Manchester from old to new. My Hubby was born and breed in Salford, it's been a while since we revisited.
Wishing you a super week Hugs TRacey x