Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Sunday 2 January 2022

Second on the 2nd

 Hi everyone, I'm here with a post from my blogging past - this is from January 15th 2015 and I am joining Bleubeard and Elizabeth for a Second look on the 2nd I hope that you will have time to join in too, I love seeing how we craft changes. 

The post was entitled - Portrait Of Billy, the tag still hangs in my craft room alongside one of Grandma Emma.

          ---------------------------------------------------


I was so pleased to find this in a new folder on my desktop the other day! Hubby has been transferring old photos onto the computer so I found this folder that says 'Chris - pre 1995' - the year I moved in with him! In it there is a photo of my Grandad and my Mum at my wedding to my first husband. I have quite a few photos of my Mum and my Mum and Dad but none of my Grandad so I put a copy of it into 'Print Shop' and cropped it! 
If it is blown up it looks too grainy but fortunately the inspiration from various sources,( I love the way Tim uses his found relatives - now I have one of my own!) meant I could do something with it!There also just happens to be a challenge at A Vintage Journey that requires a portrait!


Some time ago I was lucky enough to win some amazing blog candy from lovely Alison and there were a couple of little hangings so I decided to use one of them - I covered it with torn up book paper and then coated it in a combination of Snowflake and Little Black Dress PA Frescos - quite streakily, then when it was dry used a dry brush to stroke on some Irish Cream.

 I then stamped it with a TH film strip and used the edge of the stamp to distress the photo



I found it easier to put the edges of the photo onto the stamp.

I crumpled some paper from a Tim pad and used some Remnant Rubs - Botanical set - bought last year but put away(err…to look at?)
I'm really impressed with these, I bought them, as I had tried them at Tim's workshop last year, I also used one of the word bands, painted with LBD and then partly wiped off!(I wanted it to look a little grimy) I used some twine from the scrap box on my desk to tie it on. The words sum up how I felt about my Grandad.  

Now, it's here I need to tell you about my Grandad! He fought in World War I and then worked on a farm and then for a firm of nurserymen in Lincoln until he retired! He was known as Billy and when my Dad went to work there too - also a William - my Dad had to change his name to Ken(his middle name so as not to be confused with his Dad) After his retirement Billy took to visiting the local tip and rescuing items he thought could be useful (yes, up-cycling is not a new thing)My first grown up bicycle was one such item - put together with an assortment of bike parts - hand painted in a lovely shade of sky blue! My Grandma though, wanted nothing to do with this 'hobby' and he had to enter through the back gate with his grubby finds and go straight to his shed!
My Grandad always had a twinkle in his eye and I loved visiting, especially as his garden led to the riverbank where there were swans who would wait for their daily treat!

I wanted the words to be at the centre of the hanging, the rubs represent his nursery life.

The next thing was to add something to represent his scrap metal finds - Cogs and buttons again painted in LBD and rubbed off lightly.

I used some more TH paper, used a distress tool around the edge and added Black Soot Distress ink, to mount the photo.


The twine at the top got the LBD treatment too as I thought it looked better!

            -------------------------------------------------

I'm having a lazy day today, on anti - biotics that seem to keep me awake at night and falling asleep in the day time!

Thanks for looking, Chris


8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember this post, Chris. I remember because your grandfather recycled and created a real bike for you out of found parts. Truly a man after my own heart. This is a beautiful entry and I am so glad you brought it back for us as your second look on the 2nd. I especially love all the little bits you added at the end, too. Thanks for sharing it.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your fabulous hanging, and it is even more special because your granddad is on it. My first bike was also put together out of various parts, and my pram when I was a baby, too - there was nothing new to get after the war! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

It's a fabulous piece Chris!

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Chris, I do not remember this piece so I am happy you shared it for second on the 2nd. I really like this allot-hugs

My name is Erika. said...

I love this piece Chris. I can see why you still have it hanging. That is a great story about your grandfather, and I love this remembrance piece. And your Dad having to go by Ken too. It is also great that the hubby made you that file so you can find these old photos. Thanks for sharing this at second on the second so we can not only see it but read that great story too. Hugs-Erika

Aimeslee Winans said...

Aww, that is such a lovely tribute to your grandfather, with art and prose! Both my grands served in WW1 (Army). What sweet memories you have and a delightful little art piece, so well made. Thanks for your comment, I'm happy you're happy! xoxo

CJ Kennedy said...

Wonderful tribute to your grandfather. He looks very dapper in his suit.

Dora said...

Beautiful project