Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Thursday 8 April 2021

Inspired by.....

 Hi everyone, I am actually inspired by two people today!

The first is my dear friend Elizabeth of The Altered Book Lover blog.

Every year Elizabeth celebrates her Birthday by sharing it with Earth Day - hence it is her bEARTHday on 22nd April.(It also happens to be the day before my hubby's)

To take her to Earth Day she features a different recycling project every day in April up to the 22nd. So far she has used teabags, old pattern paper, plastic cups,old cards and a multitude of other items that most folk would regard as rubbish!   

Today she is showing something I made.

I made this journal cover using a recycling technique that features a lot in my Instagram friend Kelly's (@kellyjwg) feed. 

She works magic using old packaging for die cutting - see her posts here.

I started with some corrugated card, a biscuit box, some instant coffee packaging and some geometric style dies by Aall and Create and some Tim Holtz Tattered flowers


I also cut some of the biscuit box and used a TH letter strip die too to cut out the 'Journal' word from a scrap of old book paper.
There was enough gold on the coffee packets to cut out some heart strips (also AAll and Create)
I am quite pleased with my transformation from this boring and rather dirty old cover.

I am joining in with Eileen's chosen theme 'Inspired By' at  Art Journal Journey where Erika and I are co - hosting this month.

I hope you will follow the links in my post to see the wonderful art that has been created.

Thanks for looking, Chris



12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous piece, Chris, great way to use up old packaging! Have a wonderful day, take care, hugs, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Making such a fabulous pretty journal out of packaging is a great idea!
I wish you a good day, hug Elke

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This turned out fantastic, Chris. It is genius. I love that you have dies you can choose from to create such beautiful art. And the colors go so well together, too. Most impressive indeed. And of course, than you SO MUCH for helping me out today, as I will soon be off to get my J & J shot. One and done for me.

Annie said...

Wow, Chris, what a fun new journal cover! I’ve studied every bit of this post of techniques you used and have been inspired by every one of them. I love those aall & create dies. They look so interesting being cut from a food box. When I finish abusing the XL book that I am using for my art journal, it will need an artsy cover for sure. I’ve also looked at Kelly’s work and have been inspired there as well. I love how inspiration on social media travels through so many different platforms.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous journal cover! I loved how you used the recycled materials, the die cutting looks amazing such a great idea from your friend 😀. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

This came out fabulous Chris. Very nice recycling.I think corrugated cardboard makes the best texture, and you have a whole cover with it. I think you had a great idea for Elizabeth's recycling month. Enjoy your journal. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I love this Chris-and I love to recycle too-

Iris Flavia said...

This is beautiful! But how did you do it? "Just" such a manual cutter or some laser? I´d never be so precise! Can you please tell?

Rita said...

Never thought to die cut cardboard boxes. Very pretty, too! :)

nwilliams6 said...

Very cool recycling into something beautiful and useful! Wow. Love it!!!! Hugz

craftytrog said...

A wonderful journal cover Chris!
Happy weekend,
Alison xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

That's one amazing transformation! Wonderful journal cover, xoxo