Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 12 February 2019

T Stands For Time Out!

We have had some busy times lately so last Friday decided (despite a  weather warning) to head to our caravan! 
The sky had a bright horizon which looked even better before I got my phone out to take a pic!!
Hmmmm....slight mistake there...the wind howled and rain fell for most of the night, which in a caravan sounds quite loud!!! We didn't sleep much! We decided to take it easy for the day. A short shopping trip for papers and supplies and back for a light lunch. 
The wind dropped and we ventured to Leighton Moss Bird reserve...I wanted to buy some bird food anyway and there was a chance of seeing a murmuration of starlings.
 I love this red fungi.
 The hides were unusually empty - but there was nothing much to see!
When we asked where the starlings were coming in we were told that they were mainly to be seen on the road that we take to go home, so off we went.
We could see the starlings in the distance and lots of cars parked, but we pulled into an almost empty lay-by. A couple of folk had just started to walk down the road when suddenly we saw (and heard) this. As they were flying around right over the lay-by the other people came back and we were treated to a fantastic display! 


 I had spotted the peregrine flying into a tree as we parked and here is the moment he flew up into the murmuration - top right - and separated a couple of starlings - he missed and the display continued as he kept trying to get in!!! I was so busy watching I didn't get any more with him in!!
We could see in the distance in both directions more starlings flying around too - the is the moment where they all headed in the same direction! A real treat for sure!!
After a much calmer night we awoke refreshed and decided to treat ourselves to lunch at one of our favourite garden centres(OK ...I haven't visited a garden centre I don't like!!)

It is here where I will join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday.


 I chose from this selection...
 ..and hubby chose from this one...can you guess what we chose?
Hubby had a Tuna Mayo Jacket Potato - I had the Vegetarian Ploughman's - it was delicious! We had water to drink of course!

After lunch we went for a walk at Sizergh castle but as I took 200 plus photos and I want some room for my latest page for Art Journal Journey and Rike's theme of 'The Colour Yellow' I will show you those in another post soon!
I used an old tag, (some of you may have seen this before) and coloured a paper doll.
I added it to page made with AALLandcreate stamps and stencils by Tracy Evans and Olga Heldwein along with a cut out word and torn scrap and some doodles
I would also like to remind you that our 'Romance' theme at Try It On Tuesday continues for another week - there's still time to get romantic - I wonder if my young lady is dreaming of receiving a Valentine's card?

I have been busy today prepping for another Messy day tomorrow with a group of folk at our retirement complex!!

Thanks for looking and Happy T Day, Chris

22 comments:

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, fantastic bird photos, and I don't think I've heard it called that before. It reminds me of when I went to a cemetery a few months ago: I think it was Starlings, and they all flew as one. Down to the ground, then up to a tree. I managed to get a few good photos of them. I think Starlings might be considered "intruders" here in the United States: they weren't native but came over on ships, then multiplied, and you can guess the rest. The place where you and "hubby" went to eat looks great. I hope the two of you get to enjoy a nice Valentine's Day. Great artwork, too. Happy T-Day!

Helen said...

I've always wanted to see (and capture!) a murmuration - lucky you!! fantastic photos. Love the look of your lunches too. Looking forward to the photos from Sizergh castle!

kathyinozarks said...

Wow, how awesome to be able to see the starlings-you timed that just right for sure-great photos too!
right now we are having very very strong winds and gusts-they are bringing in two days of warmer weather-so I will deal with it lol although I have no choice in the matter.
Thanks for sharing the menu-that was interesting reading-and your lunch looks really delicious.
I love your art pages too
Happy T Hugs Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and I am looking forward to seeing the castle as well!

Valerie-Jael said...

The art is wonderful and the food looks great, but for me the starling photos are just the best, wow, so lovely. Thanks for the good wished health-wise, I am trying to get to the root of the problems. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Awesome photos Chris, especially the Starlings in full flight.
The journal page looks fantastic and a great idea to add the pretty tag.
Your lunch looked delicious, garden centers seem to have good menus these days.
Happy T day wishes Chris.
Yvonne xx

Linda Kunsman said...

What an amazing site to see the starling brigade in person- incredible!! I would love several of those meal options but the one I chose- is the same one you did Chris:)
Lovely yellow themed journal page. Such an uplifting color. Happy T day!

Pink Rose said...

Hi Chris what a lovely post ,hasnt the weather been crazy,i am also your newest follower,hope you will visit and follow me too. I love your journal page the yellow is such a happy colour and your tag is gorgeous,well done on your beautiful work.oh i nearly to say the pics of the birds is amazing,thankyou for sharing xx

Kate Yetter said...

Some lovely pictures of nature. I have never seen red fungi in person but it certainly is beautiful. That color is such a wonderful contrast.
Your menu at the restaurant looks fabulous. Everything sounds so good that I would have a very hard time deciding what to pick.
Your journal page is gorgeous with that yellow, vintage image and the vintage background!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Halle said...

Those birds were amazing! Were they loud at all? or just a visual treat?
Love all the yellow pieces.
Happy T day!

johanna said...

impressive photos of the starlings... and i just love the romance spread in your journal! happy t-day!

froebelsternchen said...

I LOVE the wonderful impressions of the starlings Chris - this is unbelievable - wow! And the menue there looks absolutely after my taste! And the most beautiful page - a pure romance - so beautiful, it brightens my dark morningn here!
Happy T-Day and thank you very much for this AMAZING, cheery and romantic page linked to Art Journal Journey!
Happy Day and big hugs

Susi

chrissie said...

Wonderful photographs with the great flocks of starlings.

Always good to see you and your husband's choices of food-similar to ours I think.

What a beautiful yellow art piece as well

Hope T Day went well for you

Love Chrissie xx

Rike said...

Wow, these photos of the flying starlings are amazing!
Your hubby looks happy with his meal and yours also looks delicious!
Thank you so much to find time and to link this beautiful page with the Vintage Lady all coloured in yellow, black and white to my theme at AJJ!
Wish you a happy day! Rike x

Rita said...

I've only seen a flock like that once and you couldn't take your eyes away!

Lovely artwork, as usual. The food looks yummy! Have a great day. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

Around here starlings are a pest, and we do all we can to keep them from settling in. They are not native here and compete with our native birds. The people who deliberately introduced them here have a lot to answer for :( It seems they wanted to introduce every European species mentioned in Shakespeare's works *sigh* It didn't end well for our native species. I love your views, and it's lovely to see such large flocks of those birds where they belong ;)

I'd have a hard time selecting from that tempting menu, and both of y'all's choices look delicious. Happy T Day!

Lisca said...

Wow, you timed it just right to see the starlings. I have seen it once in my life. It was magical. Like they were danching in the air. The photos can't possibly do it justice. I'm afraid I couldn't spot the peregrin in the photo.
Your lunch menu looks delish. I know what my hubby would order (ham, egg and chips) and I would have liked the roasted beets or the crispy falafel. I love falafels after having been introduced to them in Israel 60 years ago!
Your art is beautiful. Yellow is such an uplifting colour.
Happy belated T-Day,
Lisca

Carol said...

Fantastic photos of the starlings!!! So happy byou gto the chance to see them and photograph them ♥
Love the art this week too.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
Hopefully I'll be back to normal soon and getting more than just fiber arts stuff done. I am happy with all of the warm stuff to wear though!!
Happy very late T Day!
Carol

Eileen Bergen said...

You bold adventurers, Chris! That looks like a very nasty sky. I've never seen red fungi or a murmuration of starlings. I found a Nat Geo video that just took my breath away. What a sight!! I learn so much at T.

Believe it or not, I guessed both your lunches - lol.

Your yellow repurposed tag page is fabulous! The tag coordinates perfectly. I'm off to repurpose a tag (grin). Thanks for the inspiration and the reminder about Tiot's Romance theme.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Neet said...

What fantastic photos of the starlings - must have been a lovely couple of days away.
Love the tag you used and the resulting page in your journal is quite stunning. I notice you added some touches of yellow to the paper doll as swell - great touch.
Hugs, Neet xx

My name is Erika. said...

I am late stopping by for T, but better late than never. That murmuration ( I love learning new words) of starlings is really amazing and must have been even more amazing in person. And then to see the peregrine falcon trying to catch their dinner is even more amazing. LOving the yellow art today and lunch looks very delicious. Good thing I just had my supper. Hope you have quiet nights at the caravan! Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Friday was a bit wild for travelling, I was pleased to hear that you got there ok! I love watching the starlings murmuration, the way they dance and swirl across the sky is amazing 😀. Your meal looks delish and I'm loving your yellow journal page too, it was a great way to use your beautiful tag 😁. Sending you happy belated T Day wishes! Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x