Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Sunday 30 May 2021

La vie est belle!

 Hi everyone, I have another page about one of my favourite cities - Paris.

We walked by the beautiful Notre Dame Cathedral on the 14th April 2019 - twenty four hours later we had just got off the Eurostar train and gone for something to eat before moving on to Euston to get home.      I switched my phone on and a news item was showing that this wonderful building was on fire. On the journey home our travelling companion opposite kept showing us images of the burning building - we arrived home and watched TV news in horror as it continued to burn.
By the next morning TV images were showing how much damage had been done. 
A few months later after travelling around part of France and visiting my ex SIL and hubby we were back in Paris for a few more days. We were amazed at the progress already made.


Scaffolding was up and there was lots going on, everything fenced off but open enough to see wooden structures waiting to go in place.

Here is my page
I used some gold paint mixed with texture paste through an Aall and Create stencil - I also rubbed some of the gold paste down the page. Paris is the city of light
I stamped the Darkroom Door Notre Dame image onto some pale yellow paper and fussy cut it then added some designer paper with part of a map of Paris on it - I stamped the image onto the page then overlaid the cut out image so that the lettering was on the page. I added more stamping using Darkroom Door, Artemio, Crafty Individuals and Creative Expressions stamps
Finally a Tim Holtz paper doll couple, many years ago they had married in this cathedral. They too were sad about the tragic event.

I hope to get back to Paris in the Autumn - I wonder how much more of the repair we will see.

I am entering at 

I am also entering at Art Journal Journey - Elle's theme is 'Language' and I have added lots of French phrases here  - I expect my French will be quite rusty by Autumn.


More Mixed Media Challenge - Anything Goes - I opted not to use the pink

Have a lovely weekend, the sun is shining here and we are enjoying reading on our balcony.
Thanks for looking, Chris


10 comments:

Empire of the Cat said...

This is really beautiful Chris. I love the old gold vintage colour and the stamps and stencilling especially. What a beautiful tribute to such an iconic building and part of Paris. I remember watching the news in shock that day. I'm glad they are making good progress on the restoration, and I hope you can get back there in the Autumn. Enjoy the long weekend and the sunshine (it's showing its face here too today!) Thanks for another great entry for the Language theme at Art Journal Journey this month Elle xx

My name is Erika. said...

That was such a terrible moment when the Cathedral burned. I recently watched a show on TV where they talked about how the archaeologists can actually learn a lot from the remains they have that they couldn't learn from before the fire. I guess I am trying to find a silver lining to a terrible event. Your page is wonderful Chris. I love all the details. And thanks for all the pronunciations of cities you added to a comment on my blog. All the same we I grew up learning. It was fun to learn that. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend. It is wet and dreary here. Cold too. Hugs-Erika

nwilliams6 said...

Suc a pretty page, Chris. So lucky you have visted Paris so much and plan to go soon - it is on my bucket list. Lovely way to celebrate your love of the city. That fire was a sad event for sure. Hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Like many events that stand out in our lives, I know exactly where I was when I heard about the fire. I was on a road trip with my friend Scott when he got the information on his phone.

You have created a lovely tribute to Paris and the Notre Dame Cathedral. The entire entry is beautiful. You used a LOT of stamps, too. It is a great work of art. Thanks for sharing this beauty with us at Art Journal Journey using Elle's theme.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Please check out the Cat's Meow.

Meggymay said...

A wonderful page Chris, is so good to see the progress being made to restore this church, I hope you get to see it later this year if restriction allow .
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork. You were lucky to get photos before that beautiful building burned.

Rita said...

I remember how shocking that was to see the fire. I hope it is able to be repaired. Beautiful page. When you are finally able to visit again I know you will let us know and take pictures. :)

Craftyfield said...

The page looks like an bona fide journal page made by an ancestor! Can't go wrong with Vintage or Paris... Thanks for playing with us again at Country View Challenges!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful page and tribute to the magnificent Notre Dame 😀. The fire was such a shock and made me so sad, I'm so glad to see it being rebuilt on your photos. The stenciling with the images on your page are perfect for our Paris theme - love it! Thanks so much for joining us at Country View Challenges! Hugs, Jo x