Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 2 September 2019

A first, a second ...Oh! and I've been drinking!!

I completed my calendar journal yesterday while at our caravan but just couldn't get the pics to upload so now, after sitting in a traffic jam for two and a half hours I have them!
 I used two colours of Distress Ink on my page along with some stamping and a plaid of sorts around my squares!
The only stamp I could find to fit in the corner was repeat stamped along the bottom and I added a few birds and butterflies!
Here is last months filled in. 

I would also like to join Erika for her Polka Dots, Stripe, Plaids and patterns theme at Art Journal Journey.


Next a Second look on the 2nd over at The Altered Booklover, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog

I'm taking you back to September 2014 and a visit to West Cumbria
      ----------------------------------------------------
I hope I didn't mislead anyone last week, we weren't rubbing shoulders with the aristocracy all the time! The Castle was Muncaster Castle on the West Coast of Cumbria and it really is in a beautiful area. We had an en-suite room in the Coachman's Quarters which of course were above the old Stables. 
The stables are now a cafe and we ate our breakfast here before the paying public arrived! We were quite surprised when the old gentleman next to us started to talk to us(and quote verses of his own poetry)told us his life story and then thanked us for coming! It was only Patrick Gordon-Duff-Pennington the owner of the castle. He is often seen around the castle entertaining the public and pruning shrubs where e're he goes.
(Warning - from now on there are lots of photos)

Our bedroom was just above the sign
The Castle is home to the World Owl Trust and has a huge variety of owls on it's conservation programme
The view of the owl Sanctuary from our bedroom window 

My favourites - spectacled owls- because we had free access
I visited these little fellas a few times
These two were huge!
On our first evening we decided to go along to Ravenglass for our evening meal! It had been rainy but we still decided to go for a walk. It is quite a small village and I'm sure would look even more picturesque on a sunny day!
Loved this!
When we came out of the restaurant after our meal I noticed an orange glow coming from behind the house opposite - walked along and saw this….
The dark clouds lit up by the sunrays was fascinating!
Ravenglass has a small railway and Roman ruins too.
The next day we spent around the castle - lots going on as it was Bank Holiday week. We were also treated to the sound of two Elizabethan musicians every so often which gave a great atmosphere  to the castle grounds(neither of us got a good photo)
The more formal gardens were beautiful with fantastic views



This was the entrance for coach house residents, past a beautiful church





The terrace walk provided the best views, the hedges are alternate Yew and Box.
At 4 o'clock each day loads (14 on the day we were there)of Herons turn up to be fed!

Once we had seen the Herons we headed off to see something I had looked forward to for a while!


This is Wast Water and was voted Britain's Favourite View!
Can you see why?
The Screes look quite dangerous
The view back the other way from the top wasn't quite as good

This was right at the top of the lake and is one of my favourite photos

We headed back alongside to a lovely pub for our evening meal.
               ------------------------------
The other week was our Wedding Anniversary(the trip in 2014 was for our anniversary too) so we had a day out, at the time this photo was taken I had no idea where we were headed!
Hubby took a turn into Eyam (you may know this as the Plague village)and I wrongly assumed that this was our destination but he had decided to trick me by stopping off here for coffee.

I had a filter coffee hubby had a cappuccino, we shared a piece of cranberry cake that arrived with two plates and forks.(please note - I finished my coffee before hubby - a very rare occurrence!)

I could see hang-gliders through the window.

 Eyam is a lovely village, we did visit it a few years ago, but only went to the museum.

Our actual destination was Bakewell - a lovely town but I didn't take many photos so I may squeeze them in somewhere! 

Thanks for looking, Chris

23 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Your travel posts are always so fun for me-as I will never get to see these places. Love your september calendar page. I would have enjoyed seeing all those different owls-so adorable looking too.
Loved all the landscape photos as well.
Happy second on the second, and Happy T wishes hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

Happy T Day and happy September. Wow, you had some gorgeous shots on your second view. I can see why that lake and mountain view is one of the most beautiful in England. Wow. And I like the new calendar for September too. Your husband sounds like he planned a good day for your anniversary. Happy belated anniversary. Happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am SO sorry Chris. I have NO idea where Mr. Linky went. Susi used her linky link and I've left an e-mail for her. I'm hoping she can fix it, and let me know what happened. Until then, please just hold onto your post and we'll get the links back soon, I HOPE.

Your calendar is brilliant. I love how you used the repeating pattern. It's brilliant and I think it's perfect for Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey.

I remember your Second on the 2nd post. What surprised me was how long we've "known" each other. I remember the carriage house/Coachman's Quarters, the owls I'm sure I raved over, the incredible scenery, the beautiful grounds, and of course, the Wast Water view. Thanks for bringing this back and sharing it with us for your second look this month, dear Chris.

I'm not sure I would want to drink coffee in a town which is known for the plague (and stopping it from spreading throughout the rest of the country). However, I can't wait to see the few photos you DID take on your wedding anniversary. BTW. Happy belated anniversary. Thanks, too, for sharing this with us at T this Tuesday.

froebelsternchen said...

I am totally in awe of the traveling impressions - and so wonderful to see your fabulous calendar pages at AJJ ( sorry the linky didn't work properly. Should work now perfect) .
Happy T-Day and happy belated wedding anniversary dear Chris!
Susi xxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful calender pages! I love the pops of yellow it gives a lovely sunshiny glow to your September page 😁. I enjoyed seeing all the photos from your travels too, the sky looks so dramatic and I didn't see the gliders until you said ...lol 😉. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Dora said...

Beautiful done with that calander. Great job. Beautiful pictures.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Susi fixed the link, Chris. You should now be able to link this post.

Linda Kunsman said...

Wonderful calendar pages! I always enjoy seeing all your stamps and how you use them so well. So fun getting to see your wonderful travels via your photos and lovely descriptions too. Happy T day!

Meggymay said...

A super post full of beautiful travel photos, the scenery looks amazing. My favourite photos today are of Wast Water and the one with the Spectacled owls.
Belated Happy Anniversary wishes to you both.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

It was only the owner of the castle?! Wow! This trip sounds truly delightful, a wonderful experience, and it sounds like there's so much there. Fun! :) Happy T Tuesday

Sharon Madson said...

Chris, these are the most amazing photos! Thank you so much for sharing.
I love your calendar journal pages, I love the bottom of August's page. Both are beautifully done. Happy T day!

Neet said...

Another fabulous travelogue from the pen of Chris. I am in love - with those spectacled owls - you lucky lady seeing them, they are beautiful.
Great calendar journal pages - I kept going all through the year and missed out August. I will have to get on with September now.
Went to Aldi but didn't find any of those journals you mentioned. Am I too late or did I just not look properly?
hugs, Neet xx

My name is Erika. said...

And thanks Chris for linking up to Art Journal Journey with your great calendars too. Hugs again-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Your calendar pages are wonderful. A two hour traffic jam is not. How cool to meet the owner of the castle. The countryside is just beautiful. I do so enjoy your travels. Happy Anniversary and T Day

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful calendar pages, love the background. You visited some wonderful places again, thanks for sharing the photos. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your calendar art pages are beautiful. I always love seeing them. The photos from your 2014 trip are fantastic. I love the architecture and the outdoor scenes are amazing. The sun lighting up the clouds was stunning. Happy (belated) T-Day! (I'm late commenting.)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Thanks for sharing the travel memories ~ so lovely! And the calendar art too!

craftytrog said...

Beautiful photos Chris, and I love your pretty calendar pages.
Alison xx

Lisca said...

What a lovely photo-filled post to sit down to. I had poured myself a mug of something hot and have really enjoyed the journey to Cumbria. Your Coachhouse hotel looks very nice indeed, and the encounter with the owner is amazing!
Also the sunrise underneath the clouds (or was it sunset?) is also very beautiful.
The wast water photos are indeed stunning. I think the threatening skies just add to the atmosphere.
Sorry for the late comment.
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Very pretty calendar pages, Chris.

Love your photos of West Cumbria.

Happy anniversary! T-lady Sharon and her hubby had theirs last week too.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Caty said...

Woowww Chris, your calendar pages are Gorgeous !! Love the so wonderful background you have created, that´s amazing !!
I´ve enjoyed a lot your trip with all those so beautiful photographs, thanks so much for sharing. I looove the little owls, they are so tender.
I wish you a very nice weekend, enjoy, and send you big hugssss
Caty
(from the sun! hot day today too, 32 º C here uff)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Lovely travel photos, Chris. Happy Anniversary! Your calendar pages are gorgeous, such pretty decorations make it fun to document your life! xoxox

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, those owls! Another marvellous day out - thank you for sharing it. And I love your calendar pages for September - I hope we get that much sun... today's not looking good!
Alison x