Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 29 July 2019

T Stands for the day trip..plus!

Hi everyone, my month of hosting at AJJ is racing on and I still have lots of ideas, unfortunately I haven't had the time I had hoped I would have! I am so enjoying seeing your take on the theme and I thank you all for your support!

I was influenced by the lavender fields in my previous post when I made this page!
I used Faber Castell water colour pencils and a water brush to colour the page and then added a card from a little pack I bought in France, part of a teabag wrapper from hubby's cup of tea in a hotel room, a clock sticker and lots of little scraps.The image is from a vintage Birthday card and the words found in my King Arthur book. I finished it off with some mark making! 'We're all going' to have birthdays for my theme at Art Journal Journey!
Having only had an afternoon and evening in Avignon we spent our first full day on a day trip to Arles - a 20 minutes train ride away!
This was the impressive sight in the main street - we walked past it following signs to the Tourist Information Centre. To answer a few questions about how we plan our trips - we read up and make a few plans before we go if there is something specific we would like to see, then we go to the TIC to find out if there is anything else we shouldn't miss and for a map if we don't already have one. This is what we needed in Arles, especially as the signs just disappeared, we asked a local for directions but still got hopelessly lost!
We stopped for a drink by the Roman Amphitheatre...and got further directions, which led us past... 
...and into the Basilique of St Trophine 


Once we found the TIC we got our map and some information and crossed the road for a delicious lunch!
I was delighted to find this as it is one of my favourites of Van Gogh's paintings...and I loved the print that was positioned to see the view....it's the Hospital Garden where Vincent was treated when he cut off his ear.

I would have loved to see the irises!
A yellow house...but not THE yellow house which is no longer to be seen.
We went back to visit the Cloisters at the Basilique.



Then headed here..
I am taking a break here to join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands for Tuesday
The cafe that was painted by Van Gogh called 'The Cafe Terrace at Night' was in the cool square 'Place du Forum'..
...and just the place to stop!
Vincent and his friends met here and the name of the cafe has now now been changed!
We had Lemon Presses which we topped up with water.
I am often asked about my patient hubby(he is really)and how he always smiles...I can tell you it sometimes takes quite a lot of funny comments from me to make him smile....

...exhausting!!!!
Refreshed, we went in search of our final place to visit! 
This is the interesting fountain at the Van Gogh Institute. We will come back here sometime in the future!

As we walked back to the railway station I wanted to look for the site of the yellow house(disappointing), as well as the view over the river.

 Sadly, we couldn't wait until dark!

Thanks for looking, Chris


15 comments:

Halle said...

I always enjoy your photo tours. And I very much enjoyed your art journal page as well! The layers of ink fabric and paper are awesome!
Happy T day!

Linda Kunsman said...

What an immense pleasure to see parts of France I have never seen!! The places you visit- the monuments, cafés, etc. are just wonderful Chris. I love your lavender inspired journal page- it is such a pretty shade of purple. Your hubby is such a good sport to play along with us T Day folks:)Thanks for sharing your adventures through France, and happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

Lovely lavender journal page. Oh, and thank you for sharing photos of your visit to the Van Gough Institute. I love his paintings too. How neat to see the very place he painted. I had to laugh because your husband looks like he is laughing. :)
Have a wonderful T Day!

My name is Erika. said...

How exciting to go to Arles and to see that beautiful garden. Did you image Van Gogh being there? It looks like a fantastic day trip. And your journal page is beautiful and I love how it looks in lavender. Nice inspiration of those lavender fields. Thanks for sharing the photos and your journal page Chris. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a wonderful journal page, Chris. Beautiful lavender and great use of a tea bag wrapper. Loved the collage and noticed you didn't use a ton of stamps, either, which of course, surprised me. It turned out great and is a beautiful entry for your theme at Art Journal Journey.

You can't think of Arles and not think Van Gogh. The church was magnificent, and majestic.

I think I've only seen that van Gogh painting of the Hospital Garden once before in a book I purchased on his life and art.

I have two mouse pads a friend gave me for Christmas one year. One is the yellow house in Arles and the other is his bedroom. Right now I'm using the one with his bedroom on it. Too bad the little yellow house is gone.

How wonderful to walk in the footsteps of this incredible painter. I would be overwhelmed, I suspect. The painting of the cafe terrace is one I also have a copy of (sorry for the poor grammar).

I'm laughing at your husband. I have to do the same with Sally, but she normally smiles when I ask her to. Actually, T looks like he is having fun and teasing you. I'm amazed that you got an entire pitcher of water. At least it wasn't loaded down with lots of ice.

That fountain is really unusual and quirky. Something Vincent would have loved to paint, I bet. I've said this before. There are two paintings Van Gogh made that are named Starry Night. I have copies of both of them on canvas. Thanks for making Van Gogh and Arles come to life for me and thanks for sharing your art and incredible photos, too.

Helen said...

this was a thoroughly enjoyable trip with some beautiful shots - love the garden, and the cafe looks cool and restful. Fab lavender journal page too!

Valerie-Jael said...

You evidently had a wonderful trip, thanks for sharing the photos. I love that stained glass window and the colourful fountain. Great journal page, too. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post! Your lavender fields page is glorious and reminds me of the lavender that we have in our garden which is full of bees and butterflies at the moment 😁. I always love seeing photos of your travels, so beautiful! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful art journal page and fantastic photos. I love the architecture. I always enjoy seeing your smiling husband. Happy T-Day!

Rita said...

What a trip! Love when you share with us. :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Lovely page, Chris. You've been a fabulous and prolific host at AJJ this month. I too have a bunch of ideas and pieces set aside left over. Now I'm anxious to hear the August theme and figure whether I need to put all the stuff away again or maybe ...

Beautiful garden. I wasn't familiar with that particular Van Gogh painting. I learn so much at Tea.

The other two are some of my faves.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Lisca said...

I so enjoyed this post. Arles is beautiful, even without the Van Gogh references. I love van Gogh of course and it is wonderful to see all the places where he painted. The painting of the hospital garden is stunning. I admit it is one I didn't know about.
The coloured glass church window is beautiful and the fountain of hoses is brilliant!
Thank you for the tour of Arles.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

froebelsternchen said...

I am totally in love with this amazing page and those wonderful photos from your unique trip. Fantastic! You are an AJJ master host! Thank you so much, happy T-Day!
Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

Another fantastic page in your journal and the photos are all great. Thank you for sharing your trip with us Chris and letting us see the areas you visited.
Happy T day wishes.
YVonne xx

Caty said...

Your Art journal page is Wonderful Chris !! I looove it, This background is lovely, colours and layers!! how i like them. The image is so tender, love the clock and the teabag wrapper. Great !
Thank you very much for sharing the beautiful photographs with us, we ca visit those fabulous places with you. The basilique es super beautiful, and the paintings are amazing. lovely place to have lunch, Sure your T-day was fantastic!
I wish you a very nice Friday, and send biiig hugs,
Caty