Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 14 May 2019

T Stands for......taking a walk...

..at Styall Mill (also known as Quarry Bank. Last week we had to shop on Friday (as I was going to Happy Stampers on Saturday!) As we were going to pass Styall we decided to set out earlier and call in for a walk in the gardens!
You may remember we had intended visiting the gardens on Mothers Day but instead took the long walk that really hurt my knee!


May blossom always reminds me of my walks home from school past huge Hawthorn hedges




Elizabeth showed her Irises last week which made me want to visit Styall. Only the mauve and pink were blooming so we will be going back next week!



The bee was enjoying buzzing around this flower
Lilies of the Valley remind me of my Gran!
From here we took a different route to avoid the steps so I got to see these Bluebells...
...and there are few different views.




Back to the usual route in the lower garden


The Rhododendrons are looking magnificent!




The Azaleas too!
Not sure what these are - a variety of Orchid maybe?
Finally a Germander Speedwell Blue - I remember singing - 'Daisies are our Diamonds' when was at school and one verse ended with 'and the Speedwell Blue'
Now, its time to join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday.
My eldest son was 40 last week and his wife had organised a party!
She had made up some milk cartons with facts about my son.
He is a big drinker of milk so this made us laugh!
He also has strong views about how a pie should be made - I do agree with him.. a pie should have a full pastry case - meat in a dish with a crust on is not a pie!!! What do you think?
Here is the Birthday boy himself, with the cake made by his youngest brother - I didn't know but this is a good representation of the throne from Game of Thrones I understand!
He very kindly bent down for his height impaired Mother!

I hope to be back for WOYWW tomorrow so do pop by to see my desk and the goodies I bought at Happy Stampers.

Meanwhile, Thanks for looking and Happy T day! Chris


16 comments:

Helen said...

what great photos from the gardens, I love the bee on the peony! Love the milk cartons for your son's birthday party!

Sharon Madson said...

Beautiful gardens and flowers. I really liked the irises. Such a good looking young man! Happy belated birthday to your son. Happy T Day!

Divers and Sundry said...

What beautiful flowers all along your walk! It looks like y'all had a fun birthday celebration with such a fancy GOT-themed cake. Happy T Tuesday!

Kate Yetter said...

That cake is amazing and your one son is very talented to have made that. And all I can say about your sons milk consumption is Wow! That is a very cool way to display facts about your son.
The flowers gardens are beautiful and I think my favorite photo is the one with the vines growing up the wall and the hanging planters.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

Oh what a pretty place to walk. And you have irises already. I love them. And wow, what a fantastic cake. Your younger son is quite talented. Yup, looks like the throne to me. Sounds like it was a fun party and a nice way to spend some time. Hope it was a great T day Chris. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had intended to stop by to see your TioT post, but time was not on my side. I really enjoyed the beautiful flowers and walk you shared today. The peony with the bee stole the show, but the lilies of the valley are always my favorite.

Loved your T post this week. Your son is quite the milk drinker. I loved what his wife did to make those milk cartons. Very clever of her. Wow, that cake is beautiful. Although I've never seen Game of Thrones, it looks like a crown to me. Thanks for sharing the beautiful flowers and your son's milk habit with us for T this Tuesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos on your trip. Happy T Day, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Lovely photos Chris. The walk at Styall must be good at this time of year with all the flowers in bloom.
It looks like you son had a good Birthday celebration, the cake looked fantastic and i did like the way his wife decorated the milk cartons as well.
I totally agree that a pie should have a top and bottom pastry layer.
Belated T day wishes Chris.
Yvonne xxx

Cath Wilson said...

What a brilliant cake! And your son is a handsome dude ;-) with a lovely smile. I'm a GoT fan, so I appreciate your other son's cleverness - that took some doing!
My brother insists he once took me to Styall a LONG time ago - I know he took my boys, but I really don't remember it at all. It looks wonderful. When I'm a bit more mobile, I'll have to get him to come over to take me 'again', lol. Looks as if you had a lovely day on Friday as well as on Saturday ;-)
Off to your TIOT post.
Cath x

sarascloset said...

Chris, I really enjoyed my 'walk' through the gardens with you this morning! And what a fabulous milestone for your son--bleated birthday wishes to him! His wife was so creative with his favors and the cake your other son made looks delicious! Hugs!

PS Thank you for your recent catch up on my blog! It sure made my day to see you stopped by!

Eileen Bergen said...

What a lovely walk, Chris. I'm glad your knee is better. The garden is just a riot of color.

I think you're right. The purple flowers are a type of wild orchid. When my son was young, he and I came upon a Lady Slipper wild orchid while walking through the woods looking for wild raspberries. It was lovely and we wanted to dig it up to transplant. Instead we decided to do some research first and learned that it's a protected species in New Jersey.

The milk cartons are very clever and that cake is amazing!

Happy T-day and thank you for answering my AJJ question. Eileen xx

Rita said...

Happy birthday to your handsome son!
What a gorgeous walk. The flowers are amazing!
Hope your knee gets better. :)

Tanza Erlambang said...

aww...beautiful flowers...love them...
Have a wonderful summer

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful walk through the garden. Our Spring is so far behind. The milk cartons are too funny. I agree with your son when I have pie, I like both a top and bottom crust. That's the best part. Happy Birthday to him. Awesome GOT cake. Eagerly waiting the series finale. Happy T Day!

Caty said...

Amazing photographs from your walks Chris !! Love them, those flowers are so beautiful ! thanks so much for sharing them with us.
Laugh a lot with those milk cartons... great ideas !! Wish you son a very happy belated Birthday!!
Have a nice afternoon, and big hugs,
Caty

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a beautiful place to go walking through. All of the flowers look lovely. Spring is a nice time of year. It also looks like you had a nice birthday party for your son. Happy T-Day!