Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 24 September 2018

T Stands for.....Travels in Budapest

Hi everyone! We are back from our Europe trip and I have just a few photos of the start of our trip today!
We had glorious weather all of the time until the last evening and morning when it cooled down a little! Now we are home we are both feeling quite cold as it was in the high 20s most days and some over 30*C
There was so much to see and there will be quite a few photo posts coming up!

I shall start by linking to T Stands For Tuesday because as you probably know each Tuesday Bleubeard and Elizabeth host this little T party so we can share what we have been drinking (and sometimes eating too)!
 We arrived by plane to Budapest (having had the most horrendous wait in line to the security check - nearly two hours!)
Luckily we could get into our room straight away and after hanging a few clothes up we headed out for lunch. Last time we had stayed in Budapest was overnight to catch a plane and we were back in the Hotel Maramara and happy to be so. We knew that there were some restaurants around the corner so we headed to an Italian over the main road.
 First a drink - which was accompanied by a basket of lovely bread.
We both chose salads, which were delicious but I forgot to take a photo as I was hungry!
We walked down to the Parliament area and found this new feature which gave fabulous reflections

We watched some soldiers walking very solemnly around the flagpole.
There was an awning with small tents under it and some people sitting around on deckchairs with placards - the only word I could read was 'Anarchy'! 
We walked on around the area and came across a Chocolate Museum - I will return to this another time!
As evening wore on we got some great views across the river

The next morning we walked to Szechenyi Baths. If I had known how far it was I probably wouldn't have! I was distracted by the shops though! Most of them seemed to be women's clothing shops all along one side of the road with a railway line on the other - some were very upmarket! There was also this florist, with a floral gown and bicycle! 
The baths were incredible!
 The ticket  hall was like a grand house
We were allocated cabins...
.....so got changed and headed outside!
One pool was warm and the other one we went in was even warmer! There was also another pool for serious swimmers. We only took these photos as we walked around afterwards - to investigate the other areas.  
 I am not so keen on swimming - or being out of my depth in water and found the floating sensation a bit weird to start with - there are mineral salts in the Spring water. 
There's no way to censor these views of the white bodies but as everyone else was taking selfies we joined in!
We had been told there were inside baths too, although now I had my phone we didn't venture in - the temperature of each pool was indicated on the wall.


I enjoyed it so much in the end that we stayed on longer than we had planned!
If (or when) we go back to Budapest it will be on our list of things to do once again! 

We had an unremarkable lunch from one of the kiosks close by - we made the wrong choice as we had seen some really yummy looking food but didn't know what it was called!
We made up for it later though - but that's for another T Day!

Hoping I can get around to everyone - I failed last time as I had expected to have waiting time in the airport!!!   

Thanks for looking, Chris


20 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip, Chris. I love the silhouetted bicyclist shot you took. Magical. The floral bike made me smile.

Wow, I've never seen anything like those baths. Thank you for the selfie. There's nothing wrong with white bodies. To me it means you've protected your skin. Good for you. I do too (very fair skin!).

I look forward to seeing more "another day."

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

kathyinozarks said...

So wonderful that you and your husband can visit these awesome places. I always enjoy reading about travels and seeing the photos. Wow those baths sound nice-am not familiar with those.
I look forward too for more posts on your trips
Happy T Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

Budapest looks fantastic. I loved your photos. It looks like the trip started off great (other than the security lines at the airport). I'd enjoy those baths too. :) Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My internet friend Sami who lives in Australia, just spent ab out three weeks in Budapest and had tons of photos. I felt like I knew the place from Buda to Pest, but what you shared was far different from anything she shared.

That floral shop was gorgeous and that bike was out of this world. I know how much you love flowers, so I know this made you happy.

LOVED the baths. That was new to me. There were lots of people there, and I loved seeing your's and T's white bods. G rated of course.

Once again, you get real glass bottles of coke. SO impressive. I don't think Europe deals in plastic, which I am so happy to see. I'm glad I'm not the only person who forgets to take photos of my meal, so I can totally understand. Thanks for sharing these beginning photos of Budapest with us and your drinks for T this Tuesday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

One question. Were you on the Buda or Pest side. From Sami's photos, it looks like you may have been on the Buda side, but photos are SO deceiving.

Valerie-Jael said...

Budapest is a wonderful town, glad you enjoyed your visit. And swimming in those beautiful baths, just wonderful. The coke looks good and refreshing, too. Happy T Day, Valerie

Helen said...

Gorgeous photos, love the florist! Budapest looks a fabulous city, and the baths are really interesting. Look forward to seeing more photos soon.

chrissie said...

Looks like another terrific trip Chris and so good of you to share it with all of us.

Thank you for commenting at Jumbled Crafts

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

OMG - what a wonderful trip this was- amazing impressions of Budapest and I love the selfie of you in the wonderful bath!

Happy T-Day dear Chris!
Big hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

This looks an amazing visit Chris, the photos look great. It is good to see these areas through your camera, as the travel books and guides show it in a completely different way.
I smiled at your selfie, you both look like you are really enjoying yourselves.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time! Budapest looks amazing and wow, the architecture is spectacular 😀. The Bath must have been so relaxing, the perfect holiday treat! Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x

CJ Kennedy said...

Welcome home! The architecture is just gorgeous. Great shot of the parliament building in the reflecting pool. the ceiling in the bath house is stunning though I wouldn't want to dust it. Looks like the baths are a popular attraction. Too crowded for me. I like being by the water, but not in it. Thanks for the tour.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love all the photos. The architecture is so different from anything I see here. It sounds like a glorious trip! Happy T Day -your bread photo is making my mouth water :)

Rita said...

Thanks for letting me travel with you. Such fun! :)

Sharon Madson said...

Incredible photos of your trip! Thank you for sharing them. I especially like the photos with reflections, and of course the selfie! Happy TSFT!

Kate Yetter said...

Some beautiful pictures from Budapest! It looks very relaxing with those baths. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your trip pictures. The chocolate museum has caught my interest.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Redanne said...

I do love it when you go on your adventures, your pictures are always so amazing - these are brilliant Chris! What a lovely place to visit and I can see why you would want to go back again. Hugs, Anne xx

Mrs.B said...

Great photos of your trip to Budapest Chris, we're off there next month, so looking forward to it.
Avril xx

Caty said...

That ´s may be a wonderful Town Chris!! fabulous trip! I specially love the baths, gorgeous. This bicycle is so beautiful!
I wish you a very nice weekend, big hugs, Caty

Words and Pictures said...

Isn't Budapest wonderful? Did you make it to the covered market too, down by the river? And yes, the Szechenyi baths are simply amazing. I visited a couple of the others too - all making it worth a re-visit one day.
Alison x