Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 24 October 2023

T Stands For.....

 Hi everyone, we're back too grey days again so I am happy to be able to take you back to the sunny days we had in September

It may not look it here as the clouds were rising in the direction we were headed!But first.....

We stopped off in this charming village
On some of the walls were photographs of previous residents



By this time were all ready for something to eat - a short drive to this quirky place in Lhomaizé (they had a huge Ronald McDonald figure at the other side of this bar!)"Les Bienvenus', basic food and good value for money
No other photos but there are drink adverts around including one for one of my favourites - Orangina - enough to give me entry to T Stands for Tuesday at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog The Altered Book Lover I hope?
From here we headed to our destination - somewhere that our friends knew we would find interesting!
Civaux not only has a reptile zoo and a nuclear power station. it also has an ancient burial ground...

There are links here and here 
Other boards explain that the death toll from the Battle of Vouillé was expected to be higher but not all of the sarcophagi were required.....

...but this is the legend!
It is quite close to the power station
The entire surrounding wall of the cemetery is made of Sarcophagi lids.
Our friends live near Vouillé, some 30 miles away - how they got bodies here was not explained.


There are recent graves too.
There is also a ruined chapel


We could see some very faded crosses on some of the lids
From here we walked back to the car - parked by the church - we had look inside



It has some amazing Mediaeval artwork and carvings




Most have been renovated but there are still signs of some of the original art.

Next week will be something totally different, for now, thanks for looking, Chris

6 comments:

Cloudia said...

Thank you for bringing us along! I enjoyed your pictures. Aloha

My name is Erika. said...

Your pictures are great Chris, but I must say I found the sarcophagi were really interesting. I'm guessing they are so old the bodies were long gone when they were moved. This cemetery must be great to walk around. I hope you had a great T day. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. I've not been well most of the day.

I was fascinated most of all by the grave yard and the sarcophagi. I would probably spend an entire day there.

Your signs for T day were perfect. I want to try some NutiCola! Healthy??? Thanks for taking us to that cemetery and sharing your drink signs with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

CJ Kennedy said...

What a fun trip! A snake zoo, nuclear power plant, and an old-cemetery. What could possibly go wrong? I envisioned 3 headed snakes and giant zombies. It must be close to Halloween! 👻🦇🎃Happy T Day! 🫖🍵

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos! I love the old churc h with the medieval art work! Happy T Day, Stranger! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Wow! These are fantastic photos of a wonderful place. Thank you for sharing.