Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 11 November 2017

Keep The Home fires Burning

Today is Remembrance Day in the UK, it is also known as Armistice day or sometimes Poppy day.
It is also Veteran's day in the USA - my friend Elizabeth has her tribute here
There is a lot of talk these days about whether we should be 'glorifying war' on this day but generally it is understood that this about Peace, and remembering and honouring the people who fought for their countries in wars.
It is the anniversary of the time when the peace treaty was signed to end the First World War at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.

My page is also for my 101 Ways To Keep Warm for Art Journal Journey

I drew the hearth based on a sketch I saw in a magazine and added some touches of paint.
The poppies were painted on first then drawn into.
I added some spatters and the first line of the song.
Here is a link to the song and some World War One images.
Tomorrow is Remembrance Sunday when there are services all over the country, the most well known one being held at the Cenotaph in London which is televised.

I wish you a peaceful day, Thanks for looking, Chris


11 comments:

Meggymay said...

It is a beautiful page Chris.
A wonderful tribute to the brave men and women of our world.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I agree with Yvonne, Chris. It's a beautiful AJJ spread, but even more important, it's a touching tribute to those brave men and women who serve for their country. I really, really LOVE the poppies, too.

I remember seeing your Queen at the Cenotaph in years past. They even showed her with a memorial wreath here in the States. I wonder if she'll make it to the Cenotaph this year.

Anonymous said...

wonderful page, chris and that's a nice way to think about people!
Greetings Elke

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page and a great tribute to all who served. Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Oh that is a perfect image and quote. We could use a good home fire today it is so cold! I love how you added the poppies for Armistice/Veterans Day. I love this piece Chris. Hugs-Erika

Helen said...

fabulous page Chris.

froebelsternchen said...

We don't have a Veterans Day but it should be one. That's great to have a day to celebrate the men and women who have fought for their country and that’s something that should definitely be recognized. I think in Germany and Austria as they were the defeated and those who started those bad wars and made all those atrocities they just wanted to forget and start new - I often think that I am so blessed to live afer WW I and WW2 - oh my gosh! We should think about all this so more often! You created a wonderful page to pay tribute!
Your sketch of the fireplace is beautiful - and the poppies are beautful as well!
I wish you a happy evening and Sunday Chris!
I am a bit busy just now and my muse has gone, at least for this weekend she left me. And nothing prepaired in advance- bad Susi!
Hope my muse will return on Monday again - bad muse!

oxo Susi

Carol said...

A perfect page for such and honorable day ♥

Marjut said...

Beautiful page!

Words and Pictures said...

Yes, and more important than ever that we remember, lest we repeat the awful mistakes of the past. (I think you're after 1918 in the intro - though it's made me realise what a huge anniversary next year will be.) . A lovely page - your delicate poppies are wonderful.
Alison x

sheila 77 said...

This is so touching, Chris. I really love how you have drawn and painted the fireplace and the poppies and it matches the song perfectly. The song and photos are unbearably sad.