Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Sunday 1 July 2018

Art For Arts Sake - at Art Journal Journey

Are you singing this or are you thinking about making a journal page? 

I'd like to think it's both, as I am so thrilled to be asked back to Art Journal Journey as hostess this month with my theme 'Art For Art's Sake - lets dispense of that apostrophe straight away - Art's Arts!!! 
You may remember the song by 10CC - its here if you want to listen!

The title could well have been 'It ain't what you do - it's the way that you do it' as this month is about all about having some arty fun with techniques and art supplies (especially if you have some you don’t use so much) 



For my page I have used a paint peeling technique!
I started with some bright paint and some stencils

 I then added some hair cement - I have used petroleum jelly too on occasions - I just rubbed it randomly across the page.

Next a coat of white paint which I allowed to dry - I then gave it a blast with a heat gun, carefully wiping away the warm paint and cement to get the effect below. to which I have added more stamping and stencilling. I love this technique as you can never predict the outcome.
I added the AALL and Create paintbrushes by stamping them onto deli-paper and tearing them out before adding them with multi media gel paste.


I am looking forward to seeing what you make, as of course, you choose what to journal about...a little bit like 'anything goes'... except we would love to know what you did to create your page!!

Thanks so much for looking, Chris


18 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

This page is simply stunning and I like that you added the progress photos! All the lovely patterns and the peeled paint effect is gorgeous !
Have fun at AJJ this month! I am sure we will all have fun and find a lot of insoiration again this month!
Happy Sunday!
Hugs, Susi

Helen said...

what a great effect you achieve with this.... although I really love it before the hair cement technique!! I'd have been tempted to leave that and start again to add more to!! but that's me with my backgrounds, lol!

craftytrog said...

Such a great page and I love that technique Chris! I may have to use it for my July calendar ;-)
Congratulations on being hostess at AJJ!
Happy July,
Alison xxx

Gibby Frogett said...

Wow what a start to my Sunday morning Chris - I have your two songs battling it out in my head but the second one I'm hearing the Bananarama/Fun boy three version :)
Love the theme you have chosen this month and I will blame you for the mess I know I'm bound to make now ha ha.
I love your page and stamps, the paint peeling technique is really cool.
And I was so pleased because, after looking at that Donna Salazar video I looked at some of her other stuff and found that she had designed some Spellbinders label dies that I've had for ages and she gave tips on how to use them :)
Have a great month hosting Chris.
Gill xx

Cath Wilson said...

Ooh, a new technique on me...…. great result, though and a fab theme for the month at AJJ.

Great page, Chris. Have a great week!

Cath x

Let's Art Journal said...

I was so excited to see that you are hosting AJJ this month and your theme is fabulous! Your first page is stunning and provides so much inspiration! I loved reading about the paint peeling technique that you used, thanks for sharing 😀. I hope to join in the fun soon, have a great month and Happy Sunday! J 😊 x

Redanne said...

Oh wow Chris, your page is gorgeous - wonderful technique, gorgeous colours and those amazing AALL stamps and stencil - a great combination! Love this! Hugs, Anne xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely, colourful page. Have a great month! Hugs, Valerie

Rita said...

Love this page--the colors, the paint brushes, and all the little touches! :)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I've never heard of hair cement, but it seems to work as well as petroleum jelly. I am in awe of your step-out photos and the process you used when you created this entry. I am also in awe of your stamping. I want to stamp like you "when I grow up." Beautiful first entry and a great cover page for Art Journal Journey, too. I also like that we both used the same technique, yet our pages are SO different.

Meggymay said...

An awesome page and new theme for AJJ Chris. A super how you created it in the photos you shared,
I have a few difficulties at the present but I will be doing my best to join in.
Yvonne xx

Linda Kunsman said...

brilliant page Chris!!! Love the new theme too.
PS I just might "need" those AALL stamps;)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just reread your comment to me on the peeling paint technique. The magazine is one of my trade mags I get each month. It was about HUMAN RESOURCES and the changes that we should expect in the not too distant future. I somehow doubt robots will take over replacing humans, but the visuals were something I knew I could work with. Thought you might like to know.

Dr. Neha Sanwalka said...

wow..the page is stunning. I had never heard of this technique and hence learnt something new today <3 very pretty

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I'm delighted that you'll be hosting AJJ again and I'm delighted with the theme you chose. You'll be seeing more of me at AJJ this month ;-)

I love your Art for Art's Sake page. Those art supply stamps and the phrases on them are wonderful.

I had no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned the hair cement art supply - lol - until you said petroleum jelly would work as well. So I'm guessing that hair cement is what we call hair gel across the pond. Very cool technique!

My name is Erika. said...

Great challenge Chris. I love this new page you made. Hugs-Erika

Cocofolies said...

C'est une superbe page, et j'adore la technique aussi !!!!
Bravo Chris !!!
Hugs again, have a lovely day sweet lady :)
~ Coco xxx

Caty said...

Your Art Journal page is amazing Chris !! Love the background, this is a fabulous technique, love the result with those so beautiful colours you have chosen, and the stencils and stamps. Great !
I wish you a very nice evening, big hugs, Caty