Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 13 May 2017

Elegance is a hat!

Well, my Grandma thought so….she hardly ever went out without a hat and I can remember going through her wardrobe with her once and trying some of them on.
You may have seen this photo before - it is taken on a trip to the seaside - the coat as I remember was blue - very similar to the Paper Artsy Fresco Sky I have used for the background. 
I found a piece of tissue with the number 61 on it which I altered to be 66. The house where my Grandma and Grandad lived was nearly always referred to by the house number - never 'home' - I never knew why, as they lived there for almost all of their married lives. 
My Grandma was a hardworking woman - life can't have been easy on an agricultural wage. Her first son died when he was 18 and when my father was 12, he was always mentioned in hushed tones. My father seemed to infer that my Grandad liked a drink when he was younger but I don't recall him drinking alcohol at all when I was growing up so maybe Grandma put her foot down! 

I would like to enter in -
Gill's theme at Art Journal Journey - Elegance and Grunge

Moo Mania and More - where the theme is Headgears

A Vintage Journey - Jenny's theme is 'Use a Quote'

Thanks for looking,  Chris

17 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another beautiful piece, Chris. Your Grandma sounds like a strong lady. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

Great page, and I think I remember the photo...

froebelsternchen said...

What a fantastic page to honour your grandma! Gorgeous!
Thank you for all your fabulous pages this month!
Happy Sunday to you!
oxo Susi

Meggymay said...

Thank you for sharing your family story Chris, its a great photo of your grandmother and a fabulous page.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous page Chris-I love seeing your grandmother's photo. She was elegant in her hate and blue coat. What a gorgeous color coat that was. I love your story! Happy Saturday evening. Hugs-Erika

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous piece Chris with a lovely story to it xxx

chrissie said...

A fantastic page with a wonderful story as well. My gran always wore a hat as well and at first glance I thought the photograph was Vic's gran it is so much like her except for the glasses.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

And I forgot to mention how nice it is to see you at Moo Mania & More as well dear Chris! Happy Sunday!

Redanne said...

Isn't it wonderful how a picture can conjure up so many memories! The photo is beautiful and I just love the gorgeous blue background you created for her.

Thanks so much for joining in our 'use a Quote' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

Gibby Frogett said...

ahh this post was a lovey read with a beautiful page full of wonderful memories Chris and what a fabulous background as well.
I have some photos of my husbands grandmother and a group of friends on holiday somewhere, all wearing the same sort of hats and glasses as your grandmother.
Thanks so much for joining in again at AJJ.
Have a great day... Gill x

Rosie said...

This is a gorgeous page

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Words and Pictures said...

A really lovely page, Chris - the composition of the elements is so full of movement, and I love the photo at the heart of it. Such a lovely, gentle colour palette too. I think your Grandma was right, and I wish there were more hat-wearing opportunities these days!
Alison x

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Chris and a wonderful photo of your Grandmother, she sounds like a wonderful woman, thanks for sharing the story.
Avril xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm late visiting, but I adore this. It's a great page, even though I think I've seen the picture of your grandmother before. It's ironic about the house number, but it was good that you shared it with us. I really enjoyed the back story.

sarascloset said...

Love this, Chris! Fun post to read, too! Sending hugs!

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful piece honoring your grandma and what a terrific photo of her and lovely story to go with your creation! thanks for joining us in the AVJ quote challenge Chris! Julia xx