Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 20 September 2016

T stands for Time for home

This is a very apt title having just had a few days away although we are only staying put until Thursday!
We had a great time and I have some photos to show you!

First though I would like to show you my latest page for Elizabeth's theme of Back to School for Art Journal Journey.

A little bit of random stencilling and stamping as a background…the image is from Print Shop and I printed out my words on the computer too.
I think this image still sums up what it is like at Home Time in Early Years teaching - making sure that children are dressed properly and have their belongings with them.

Now I am also here for Tea with Elizabeth as T Stands for Tuesday!
On the first day of our break away we called into a cafe in Romford where we stayed. I ordered a scone and was surprised to have it arrive toasted - however it tasted delicious and was very welcome after our 6 hour journey!
Hubby had an Armenian speciality cake (the proprietor was Armenian)and said it tasted good too!
As you can see hubby had a milkshake while I had a cappuccino!

The main purpose of our visit was to research my family history and we had some success with that. Hubby's is easier as his family was close to where we live.
The Records Office in Chelmsford was really helpful and when we came out again into the heat of the afternoon sun we walked along by the River Chelmer.

The view of the Records Office from the river.
We then went to visit Mountnessing where my Mum's family lived when she and her siblings were youngsters.
My Mum never mentioned the windmill but it has been recently restored.
 I doubt this view has changed much
I am peering over my specs because I was using my camera and can't see the image without them!

We went for a meal in the oldest pub in the village and what a good decision that was. The Prince of Wales not only does excellent food but the landlord after finding why we were visiting the village went to fetch me a photo that was taken while my Mum was living in the area


I tried to get in the same position for my photo.
The thought that the man down the road walking towards the camera in the 30's photo could have been a relative was a strange feeling!

On Friday we were up very early - a train to catch into London!
We headed to the Tate Modern to meet up with...

.lovely Julie Ann Lee of Magpie Heaven! We had a great wander around the galleries (until it was time to go when we lost our sense of direction and took a while to get out!)
With a plan to meet up again at Ally Pally on Saturday Julie Ann went off for a lunch date and hubby and I sat and enjoyed this view while eating our lunch.
St Pauls Cathedral in the rain!
After lunch I went to see the Georgia O'Keefe Exhibition…
..then we walked along the South Bank to reach Westminster Abbey where we had managed to obtain 2 for 1 tickets.
No photos were allowed in the Abbey but we did buy a guide book to remind us of our visit!
After a quick coffee and a couple more stop offs we caught our train  back to Romford.

I will be back tomorrow to show you Ally Pally photos and what I managed to add to my crafting stash!

Thanks for looking, Chris

  

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your back to school page, thanks for another lovely contribution to AJJ. And I always love photos of food and drink... You visited a gorgeous place, and how nice that the proprietor showed you that photo. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Great post of your travels! Westminster Abbey is such an amazing place I went there a couple of years ago when my American friends stayed with us - there is so much to see, we had a fantastic time! Your journal page is lovely - the background texture and layers are wonderful! I've never had a toasted scone before either, it does look good though :-). Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

Linda Kunsman said...

Wonderful vintage journal page Chris. Great photos of your recent trip. How cool to see that old photo of your mum's hoe town. beautiful sights all around. Lucky you to meet up with yet another blogging friend too. Happy T day!

jinxxxygirl said...

I like to research my family history too. How wonderful that trip must have been for you! Incredible that the restaurant owner had that photo for you. Amazing. Love your artjournal page too. Hugs! deb

Lisca said...

What a lovely journal page wioth a vintage look to it. I love the old image of the schoolchildren.
Thank you for taking us on your travels. I enjoyed it immensely. Researching your family history is fun. My cousin did it. So I know a lot about my family from mum's side. It would be difficult for me, living abroad, to do research. In Holland they don't have an organisation like Ancesters in the UK.
Looking forward to the Ally Pally post + photos.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Krisha said...

You AJJ page is just wonderful Chris, and I really enjoyed all your photos.
Digging into family history is always interested me and I have done some, but not nearly enough.
Happy T-day

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your photos. It's interesting to see what changes and what stays the same over time. Sounds like you're involved in a fascinating project :) That cake looks perfect for T Tuesday!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I am in LOVE with this beautiful AJJ entry. I would never have considered the amount of time it must take to get these students ready to go home until you mentioned it. And the image is wonderful as is the background. You are a true stamper!

I would never have guessed Julie Ann Lee was who you were meeting because I don't know her blog that well. Haven't visited her blog in years. Glad you had a good time.

I could not begin to believe the size of that Records Office. That is unbelievable. My Grandmother's last name was Clarke, so I suspect there are hundreds of thousands of same named individuals who emigrated to America in the 1800s like her ancestors did. Granted, some of the stories she told me involved family of wealth with lots of land and large estates, so who knows!

I was super impressed with the two photos. It is wonderful that you found this particular pub and the owner showed that original photo. You still drive on the wrong side of the road, though!

Toasted scone. Sounds decadent. And Mr. Pear Shape's cake looks great, too.

Loved the photo of you in front of the windmill. Great photo op!

Thanks for the gorgeous AJJ page and your wonderful photos on your trip to London. But especially, thanks for sharing your meal and drinks with us for T this Tuesday.

Little Artbee said...

Oh dear Chris such a lovely Vintage school page you have created. I love it much. The photos of your journey are nice too and I love the windmill photo.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Helen said...

great to see these pics, even London in the rain! Still smiling at you both getting lost inside the gallery!!

Meggymay said...

Super photos Chris, some didn't load, so will call back later.
Happy T day
Yvonne xx

~*~Patty S said...

WOWEE your post is chock full of fun and wonderful things Chris!
How lucky you and Julie Ann got to meet!
Lovely photo of you both.
Georgia O'Keefe exhibits are always such a delight.
Your then and now photo from your mother's village is a real treasure as is getting to chat with that gentleman.
Happy T Day
I knowing being unplugged for a bit I've missed a lot
oxo

Barb said...

A very interesting post Chris. Your journal page is lovely and what a super old image that is.

We used to live in Essex and visit our friends there regularly. We often go to Chelmsford and have walked along by the river too.

It sounds as if you had a lovely trip and I enjoyed looking at your photos. It must have been fun to meet up with a craft buddy. I look forward to seeing what you bought at Ally Pally. I love that venue and have been for the past several years but gave it a miss this time as I have so many other craft events booked. Barbxx

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous photos and gorgeous page, beautifully vintaged. Sorry short visit as it's such a busy week xxx

chrissie said...

Great post as always Chris with a wonderful school page and theme.

Loved the photographs and the look around that we always get from your travels.

Love Chrissie xx

Mrs.B said...

A lovely pages Chris, love the vintage image.
Lovely photos from your travels and how nice to see the old photo of the village.
Looking forward to hearing about Ally Pally.
Avril xx

My name is Erika. said...

How did you like the Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit? I love her work. London looks very green and I like your other photos too. That river and field are so pretty. I think going home is the best time of the day for a lot of kids. Some days for me too. :) Have a great trip later this week. Hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

Loving your page Chris. Your photos as usual, are brilliant. So glad that you had a lovely weekend. xx

sirkkis said...

What a cute photo and great school page. Thanks for sharing the great photos. You've hade great time with friends.

johanna said...

finally my guests are back home again and i find the time for a belated t-day blog hop...

wonderful post, Chris - you really are busy travelling, how good!!
i saw the o´keeffe Exhibition in munich (about 4 years ago, i think) and was very impressed! what a great and long life she had, she really was privileged!

Carol said...

A truly enjoyable post with great photos ! So nice that you got some of the information you were looking for :)

Halle said...

Wonderful page for AJJ and I really enjoyed your photos. Very cool to see the vintage photo and yours to compare.
Sorry I'm so late in visiting...

Karla B said...

I love Georgia o' Keefe. Her paintings are inspiring. Your photos are always a feast for my eyes and your journal page is amazing. I am glad you had a great time with your blog friend.I love visiting you. There's always plenty to see.