Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 26 September 2016

Spelling!

Here I am again with another page for Elizabeth's Back to School theme at AJJ

Have you noticed how spelling is becoming less important in these days of computers, predictive text and spell checkers! 
Only thing is that a lot of folk assume that predictive text is going to give them a correct spelling - those of us of a certain age shall we say, know that it's not good to guess what some one is trying to say! I know I have had some real howlers when writing my blog!
I think these two are particularly funny!

My granddaughter still has spelling tests, but I know that when she goes to High School next year she will be expected to know how to spell and spellings will rarely be corrected (as I have seen from my grandsons's exercise books).
My page is about Peggy, who has come top in Spelling in every test she has taken!
Peggy knows that by remembering funny little rhymes that she can crack most spelling codes and she loves spelling tests! This could have been me at school as I still remember lots of mnemonics that help me remember all sorts of things!
I started my page with some PA Fresco Finish paint and some Infusions dragged down over the paint. I added some random stamping and stencilling(Carabelle Studios)and some scraps. The Spelling book image is from Print Shop and Peggy is one of Tim's Found Relatives.
I must have used my 'spell' definition from my old dictionary so I used 'learn' instead. The spelling aids were printed out from my computer. 
If you find any 'bloopers' please do share them!

Thanks for looking, Chris


12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page for AJJ, thanks so much for joining us again. I am always horrified at the bad spelling nearly everywhere today. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful page Chris! So beautiful made!

Bad spelling is just popular nowadays... but sometimes really horrible - you are right.
Thanks a lot for another super entry for Art Journal Journey!
oxo Susi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I immediately noticed the "USE" should have been "USED" in "I must have USE my 'spell' definition . . .

I never trust spell check, even though I have it on my computer. Too many times, to, two, too, etc. don't get caught. I always cringe when I see something someone writes incorrectly, or has not written properly. You would NOT want me proof reading an important page!

I LOVE THIS, though, but I never used mnemonics in school. I memorized everything, instead. As a result, spelling and reading became second nature to me. Thanks for this wonderful AJJ entry.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful page Chris...Oh I remember the spelling tests very well!! I cannot stand anything incorrectly spelt. xxxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful, I really like the vintage look and feel of this page! The mnemonics are great - spelling is not really my forte although I do really try to ensure everything is spelt correctly. Have a great week! J :-)

Helen said...

I used to be quite good at spelling, but as you say, it doesn't seem to have much emphasis any more. (carefully checking my spelling as we go...) great page.

sheila 77 said...

Good for Peggy! Spelling errors always jar, I don't mind typos as it is so easy to make one, and they are usually noticed just as one presses Publish (or just after). That's a very good page for School.
By the way, can I just correct one of the spelling rules? It's "I" before "E" except after "C" except when it is "Sheila", haha!
Now I have checked this comment several times for spelling, so here I go pressing "Publish".....

Redanne said...

When I saw the header on your post I actually read it as 'quiet' - just shows how our brains are getting tuned in to bad spelling... or maybe it is just my 'old' brain...Ha, ha. Love your page, I remember using some of those when I was a child. Maybe we should print your page off and take it to all our local schools..... Hugs, Anne xx

Barb said...

What a lovely page and well done to Peggy. Let's hope she continues to take a pride in her spelling. I have never seen the rhyme for rhythm before. Now that would have been useful when I was Peggy's age. Barbxx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Fab page and you're so right about spelling and grammar, it drives me mad how little attention is paid to it now :/
hugs
Donna xx

My name is Erika. said...

Fantastic page! I am not a great speller, but those signs are really off. They're funny but not. Hope you're enjoying your week so far. Hugs-Erika

~*~Patty S said...

Good for Peggy.
She looks great on your lovely collaged page Chris!
I have noticed that my spelling does not flow as well as it once did.
Some time ago I created some art journal pages and misspelled (1 S or two??) Rhythm (which I just did again and corrected HAH ... the allusive H)...
There is a paragraph going around on Facebook that leaves lots of letters out and is still quite easy to read.
Spelling and cursive handwriting do seem to have taken a back seat these days.
oxo