Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 11 April 2020

Bunting but not for babies...

My good friend Elizabeth of The Altered Book Lover has invited me to join in with some recycling on the lead up to B-Earthday!

This isn't the project I originally though of but something that came out of trying to cheer folk up in these strange Covid-19 times.
When I first thought of it I spoke with the manager here and she thought it was just right!

Here are some extracts from the letters sent out
I made some templates and cut up lengths of string and twine, some from way at the bottom of boxes and backs of cupboards - how did we come to own so much of the stuff?
The idea I had was to decorate the balconies and windows here at our retirement complex with bunting for Easter and not only use up some of my own fabric to but to encourage others to do the same!
We knew that some folk would be unable to make their own due to their disabilities and that there would also be a few grumpy old men who just would not want to take part!
I asked the Messy Day group and a couple of other ladies if they could help and I set to with a few myself.
 I used some old shirts, leftover fabric from projects and some fabric I had bought at bargain prices with nothing in mind!
My extra bunting was gratefully received.
It was lovely to see folk putting them up in our courtyard

We took walk around as I was told that they were appearing everywhere!
We went out of the complex and could see that some of the bunting can be seen by passers by - so they will be cheered up too!




 There are some in another courtyard too

I hope that more will be up by now so we will have another walk this weekend!
I have been told also that someone outside our complex is also going to make bunting - who knows, this may catch on in our area!

Oh! and the grumpy old men - they have bunting up!!

I have been asked what will be next month's project.....eeek! 

Thanks for looking, Chris







12 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sorry if you have been trying to find this post - I did schedule for 6 this morning and have no idea why it didn't it was on my list as scheduled for the correct time!
Oh! and I apologise for the flapping pun!Chrisxx

Helen said...

Lovely idea Chris and the bunting all looks fab hung up like that. Glad even the grumpy old men have joined in! xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Regardless, this is a fabulous idea and a great way to use those extra scraps of fabric we all have lying around. Thank you beyond belief for sharing this project and providing a wonderful recycling project leading up to Earth Day. Several of these were incredibly colorful. It really brightens up the complex and I'm sure it brightened the spirits of some of the people in the complex, too.

craftytrog said...

What a lovely project and idea Chris! Great use of those scraps and old shirts! They will definitely help lift everyone's spirits.

Cath Wilson said...

What a lovely thing to do to encourage people, Chris. I love this idea. Very thoughtful of you to make some for those less able. Even the grumpier ones will appreciate it, I'm sure.
Anything to brighten the mood right now just has to be appreciated and this is a better idea.
Happy weekend and happy Easter!
Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

These look fabulous Chris. What a happy idea during these strange times. And I like how you involved so many people. The photos are the apartments are great! Happy Easter. Hugs-Erika

Eileen Bergen said...

What a wonderufl idea - sure to bring some smiles. Bless you and your Messy Day Group, Chris. Eileen xx

Linda Kunsman said...

what a super project Chris!!! I love your buntings, and seeing them on the balconies. I do hope more will join in!

Karen said...

What a sweet cheerful idea! ~ We all need more positive encouragement and ART!

Words and Pictures said...

I just heard about this over at Bleubeard and Elisabeth's... what a wonderful way to bring colour and festivity to all those balconies - a really fabulous idea to bring light and fun into people's lives, Chris - well done you! And your bunting is so pretty too, despite being created out of all those random scraps, or maybe because of it. I'll be back for some proper catching up soon. Stay safe, stay well, and happy Easter.
Alison x

Meggymay said...

Sorry I am late calling in Chris, this was a fantastic recycle idea and I'm sure your bunting caught the eye of many passers by as well as the cheerful outlook it gave the building.
Lovely photos from your walk as well.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - this is fabulous! What a great idea! Lovely that people are wanting to know what will be next! Wonderful that the grumpy old men participated!!! LOL. Fun!