Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 10 March 2020

T stands for Train from the past!

Hi everyone!

Last Saturday we were out quite early (for us anyway) and were heading for the bus to take us to the tram stop to get to Victoria Station in Manchester.

We were both quite excited as we were going to York - one of our favourite English cities!

The train arrived...
 The woman in the green jacket was to be our travelling companion along with her hubby, we found that we lived in adjoining areas in Manchester.
This is the Brittania locomotive engine!
A lot of folk had been on the train for a while as it had come up from Shrewsbury.


I forgot to take a photo of the table before we 'messed' it up....


....but it was just like this, taken from the Saphos trains website  - set for coffee and biscuits.
The only difference being the napkin colour and the brochure that gave details about what to look out for and the times we might see them! It also showed water stop times, necessary - so that we didn't literally run out of steam!
Coffee was offered a few minutes after departure - and refills were offered several times on the journey

The trip was a Christmas gift from our family and I can tell you now it was the best gift ever!

Fabulous scenery on the round trip - we came back by a different route.

Lots of folk taking photos of the train as it passed. Some of the bridges were really full but the photos I took were terrible!
One of the water stops relied on a tanker!

 We arrived in York at 1.30 - time for some lunch! we went to Zizzi's Italian restaurant and it is here I will join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T stands For Tuesday.
We both chose a pasta dish with chicken, spinach and mushrooms and water to drink. No dessert as we had plans to go somewhere else before we went to catch our train!


 It was a cloudy day but the clouds were high and the sun was trying to peep through! 
Time for some of the sights of York!






We went to Partisan (where we have taken you on previous trips to York) for a coffee and cake.
Hubby had a Cappuccino while I stuck to my usual Americano. Hubby chose a rather fancy Carrot and Orange cake while I had Apricot and Banana loaf cake.
We also bought a takeaway picnic for on the train!
 On the way back to the station we passed the city walls, with lots of daffodils.

 When we arrived in York we noticed lots of folk dressed up Steampunk style but we only got photos of these on our way back!

With our first coffee this time we we given special chocolate bars with a picture of the train
 The sun was really trying to shine by now!
 It was shocking to see these fields still so deep under water!
Lovely clouds and plane trails....

 Finally a shot of the moon and reflected carriage lights.
The last part of our journey was in darkness - we may have to go again one day when it is light till later!

I am trying to get some Crafty Individuals samples ready for the end of the month - the Hochanda shows are in early April - but I am also hoping for some art journaling moments!

Thanks for looking, Chris






14 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How absolutely incredible, Chris. I'm so glad you got to take that trip. It sounds incredible. It's a perfect gift for someone who has "everything." I really enjoyed the beautiful photos from the train.

Your Italian meal sounds absolutely wonderful. I love pasta and could eat it every day if it didn't add pounds to my body. It even looks wonderful. T looks like he's having fun, too.

I had to laugh when I enlarged the photos from York. At first, I thought all the people were wearing masks. DUH!!! Some days I'm not dealing with a full deck. It looks like a great place to visit.

I like T's dessert choice. I also like his drink choice, too. I can make banana bread, so I opt for carrot and orange, please. I enlarged the photo and it looked decadent.

LOVELY daffs on the way home, and it was great you got some steampunk photos as you left the station. I'd say you got LOTS of rain with all that standing in the fields. And that's a great shot of the moon, too.

Thanks for taking us with you to York and thanks for sharing your pasta, cakes, waters, and coffees with us for T this Tuesday. Now I'm really hungry.

Valerie-Jael said...

York is a fabulous place to visit. In my youth all trains were steam trains, times have changed! Happy T day, hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Wow Chris what an amazing adventure for the two of you. So fun!! I was on a train a few times as a child when our Mom would take us kids into Chicago for the day to see a show at the theater or something. I have not been on a train like this with tables-and coffee etc. the views must have been spectacular.
Your food looks delicious and your desserts Yum.
thanks for sharing all of the photos with us-Happy T hugs Kathy

Anne (cornucopia) said...

What a fun trip you took. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos from it.

Let's Art Journal said...

What a wonderful way to journey to York, I bet the steam train was fun! I love York too and it was so nice to visit there with you - perfect 😁. Looks like the food was yummy too - Happy T Day! So glad you had a wonderful time! Hugs, Jo x

Eileen Bergen said...

A steam locomotive - how exciting! What a wonderful Christmas gift. It sounds like it was a lovely day, Chris.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Karen said...

Thank you for taking me on the train ~ so visually pleasing! The chairs and the table setting with treats ~ How nice. What a wonderful idea for a gift ~ Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

That train trip looks amazing. What a classy vintage trip. I get why this was the best gift. And I love the photos of York. It looks like an amazing city to visit. Thanks so much for sharing with us Chris. I hope it was a super T day. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

what a joy to be able to travel through your eyes and through your stories Chris!! York sounds like another really beautiful area and place to visit, and the steam train - how fun is that... happy T Day!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful opportunity! If I could change one thing here it would be access to public transportation, including trains :) This virtual trip through your photos is the next best thing. Thank you!

Happy T Day!

Rita said...

OMGosh! That is so exciting! I went on a train when I was in 6th grade and I have always wanted to go again one day. Your train looks much fancier. We were kids on a school trip from Minneapolis to visit the Chicago Museum for a day and ride back. (They'd never have school trips like that anymore!) There was no way I could sleep like the rest of the kids. Was too thrilling--an adventure! I watched the lights in the black night to the rhythmic clanking and swaying of the musty car.

What a wonderful trip and so much to see!! Looks like an absolutely wonderful gift and a memorable journey. :)

Meggymay said...

Wow Chris this looks a fantastic trip and how thoughtful of your family to arrange this special train trip. Great photos as well, the fields will recover in time but we have had some awful weather recently, Have a good rest of the week.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Ohh It may have been a magical strip Chris !! What a gorgeous train, outside and inside, lovely views. Love everything ! :)
Sure you spend a great T-day.
I wouls like to include your fantastic blog in my side-bar, could I do it ? Thankss
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs,
Caty

Words and Pictures said...

Now that's what I call a train! What a splendid trip, and to one of the loveliest cities too. Thank you for sharing it all with us here.
Alison x