Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 4 September 2018

T Stands For......trip to the zoo!

Hi everyone! It's T Time already!
First of all - Thank You so much for your kind comments about my poorly arm - all I can say is - I'm getting there - and keeping on with the exercises!

Last week my middle Son and Grandson and Granddaughter came up to the caravan. When we gave them a choice of places to have an outing they chose The South Lakes Zoo! If you follow my blog you will know that we used to visit once year (at least) They had walkways and feeding sessions and we all loved it!

However, there was an incident in 2013 when a keeper was killed by a Tiger because of insecure bolts!

Following that that there were increasing reports of animal deaths and illnesses and the owner was banned from running the zoo and a new company took over the running of the zoo! (although he is still an advisor)

We arrived with a picnic(the zoo food wasn't particularly appealing, fast food at it's worst!)to find a sign saying that picnics were no longer allowed in the zoo - because animals were scavenging the wrong kind of food - and we could have a pass out to go to the car park. In fact it had a sign saying 'No picnics past this point' in several places but had picnic tables outside the entrance right by the last of these signs!


The Prairie dogs were so funny!
We loved the sun bathing lemurs too



 When Hubby and I went last year that had just re-opened and with a new entrance, the walkways taken down, a new Vulture enclosure and most of the old enclosures replaced and relocated we felt that it just wasn't the same, although the animals that we saw looked healthy!
We went outside for our lunch - only the four picnic tables available outside the zoo, but we had seen loads located around the zoo, and in fact had seen folk eating sandwiches, crisps etc that had been bought from the zoo cafe, which to me seemed to contradict the reasons for having the rule.We ended up sitting in the car and saw others doing the same!


These three were very lively!
I loved seeing the racoon - although I know several of you won't!
They have such cute faces!!!

I was pleased to see this baby giraffe come to see what I was doing as we went along the exit path.

I know that the zoo has to make money but we paid £56 to get in and now instead of feeding being part of the entrance fee there were charges for feeding. As it happened no one wanted to feed any animals (far too old for that sort of thing!!)but I felt for the families with young children.
We certainly won't be going again!!

Now for our food and drink so that I can join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands For Tuesday!
We had wanted to eat at the Tavern on the route home but being a Friday it was full so we went to the County In Carnforth. We have been here several times and always happy! 
 So sorry to interrupt!!!
Hubby had a chicken burger and I had fish 'n chips - you can just about see our water with lemon!
The other three were far to shy but all of us enjoyed our food!

Thanks for looking, Chris  

15 comments:

Helen said...

I can't remember the last time I went to a zoo. you got some great shots of the animals. your dinners look great too (apart from the mushy peas, the very thought turns my stomach!)

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Chris, hope your arm gets better soon-I took a fall last week so can relate.
I think zoos have changed over the years, more doing conservation efforts as well. I can see not eating in the zoo itself as a picnic-but then to say no and then sell food that is contradictory.
Sounds like you all enjoyed your day though-hugs
Happy T

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How sad about the zoo and the changes that have and had to occur. You are right that the animals look healthy and they seem to be in a decent enclosed space, too. Not sure which I like more, the lemurs, the prairie dogs, or the raccoon. All adorable.

Looks like T was waiting for you to snap the shot of his chicken burger and although it looks good, for once I would prefer your fish and chips. What's the deal with mushy peas? I never got the connection, but I love peas, mushy or otherwise!

thanks for sharing your trip to the zoo and your meals and water with lemon with us for T this Tuesday. BTW, I hope you are better soon. Will you need to return to the DR? I can relate because somehow I did something to my right hand and have been typing with only my left all day.

Linda Kunsman said...

You took some magnificent photos of the zoo animals!! Although I am not a fan of zoos I get that it does have it's good points and is great for the children to learn from. Hubby wasn't so happy about waiting this time around- he must've been REALLY hungry-lol:)Food looks good as always. happy T day!

Meggymay said...

They are super photos and the animals do look happy and well cared for Chris. I can understand your feelings on taking a picnic inside when the serve food to eat out. It does seem unfair and a way to get more money from visitors.
Your meal on the way home looks delicious and am I right in guessing hubby as hungry.
It was good to read that the pain is easing up. take care of yourself.
happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

It's a shame when attractions don't hold up well over time. I'm glad they're doing a better job with the health of their animals and the safety of the visitors and staff, though. I'd choose the fish and chips. Looks tasty! :) Happy T Tuesday

Kate Yetter said...

Those animals certainly are beautiful but that entrance fee does sound enormous! What a great variety of animals. Hopefully, things are more safe.

Your meals look so delicious! A great way to end the day.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

johanna said...

i can understand you were disappointed by the changes, it´s not good if you feel "betrayed" by these eating rules plus the high prices. not sure they do themselves a favour when they cast out people this way.
but you shot wonderful photos, and the funniest for me was the sunbathing lemur:) keep on taking care for you and have a great turn into autumn, xox

My name is Erika. said...

This sounds like a great day out. I love visiting zoos, although I haven't been to one in quite awhile. I also really enjoyed all the animal photos, raccoon and all. Hope it was a great T day. yesterday was busy for me and I am playing catch up. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Your photos look wonderful! There were plenty of animals to see so it's a shame that it didn't meet up to expectations. Looks like you had lovely weather though and your food looks so yummy 😀. I like you comment about interrupting too ...lol 😉. Happy T Day wishes! J 😊 x

jinxxxygirl said...

Chris you took extraordinary photos! And all the animals posed so well for you!! I can understand your disappointment with the zoo.. If it were me i would be writing a letter to the zoo explaining my issues and disappointments. How are they ever going to learn what people are thinking unless we voice it. If enough voices come together things can change! :) Sorry i'm a little late to the party ! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

craftytrog said...

Great photos of the animals Chris! Such a shame about all of the changes, but it looks like you had a lovely day out anyway! Fish and chips looks delicious.
Alison xxx

Lisca said...

Sorry to hear about your arm. I hope it gets better soon.
The photos of the zoo animals are brilliant. You have a good camera (and a good eye). It's a shame the zoo is not what it used to be. And of course it is no fun having to have your lunch in the car. That's what you would have to do if it had rained.
Your fish and chips looks yummy. We will be travelling to the UK on Monday and fish and chips are one of the things we are looking forward to. I like mushy peas. I never used to. (having been a nurse it looks too much like things I would rather forget) But now I really like it.
Sorry I am late in commenting. (Better late than never), but we are rather busy packing and getting everything ready for our road trip.
Belated Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Sorry to be so late, Chris, and sorry to hear about your poor arm!

Fabulous photos of the animals. We haven't been to a zoo in ages. So I really enjoyed your post and I didn't have to spend £56! Holy cow - that's pricey! The prairie dogs are super cute. I've never seen lemurs.

Hubby's burger looks very tempting.

Belated happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

Words and Pictures said...

Glad to hear things are progressing with your arm... hope it continues to improve. Lovely pictures of the animals - the place looks well cared for with all the new paddocks and fencing... shame about the picnicking rule, especially if people are eating stuff from the onsite cafeteria regardless. Ah well.
Alison x