Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 21 May 2019

T Stands for........the trip...

...that wasn't!

Friday had a lovely sunny start to the day and we were looking forward to our trip to Alston!

We set off from our caravan at around 10.40 and headed up the M6, intending stopping off for a coffee in Penrith before heading East!

We saw a sign saying that the road was closed after the junction we were going to come off at and carried on hoping it would be open before we got there!
 I was more interested in the clouds as we came up to the start of what was then just slow traffic..
 ...and this beautiful tree...and indeed had just remarked how beautiful this area is!
Even when the traffic stopped we weren't too concerned and there were more clouds to see! 
We never suspected that 6 miles before the junction the traffic would be at a standstill!
People were getting out of cars, walking dogs,chatting, looking over the embankment, even having a picnic! 
We got out to stretch our legs but as a rescue truck headed up the hard shoulder got back in again!
Someone came up to us and told us that they had read that the motorway wasn't going to open for another two hours! 
We waited a while before having some water and a biscuit - I usually have a packet of two in my bag!

Cutting this story short, we finally got off at our junction at just after 2.45! By then we had realised that even if we drove straight to Alston the shop we were going to visit would be about to close AND we would be going straight to another hold up!!
As it was we both needed a toilet and food...in that order!!!
We drove in the opposite direction to the Rheged Centre - a short distance from the M6!

From here things seemed slightly better!
Comfort first then...
We both chose chicken burgers, which came with a lovely salad! I didn't eat many chips and removed the top of my burger!
It was then we noticed the time...
...and it is here where I will join Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stands for Tuesday
As far as we know the drivers of two lorries were uninjured and a car driver involved was taken to hospital by air ambulance.

I realised that there was a small textiles exhibition on so we decided to make the most of our visit!!


Could this be our new PM soon???

 These were my favourites.


The end of the exhibition comes back to the art shop!!
As the stock reflected the nature of the exhibition there weren't many paper related items this time...but I was able to get a new A5 Pink Pig book which made me happy..Oh!...and we both bought some new pens....it's the law isn't it???

All's well that ends well!!!Almost!
I am still experiencing some back pain (which I didn't really help by pulling up some nettles on Saturday)


Thanks for looking, Chris   




19 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

It sounds like y'all made the best of a bad situation. I think your outing sounds enjoyable once you gave up on getting past the traffic block :) The food looks delicious, and the exhibition definitely worth seeing. Happy T Tuesday!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Stopped by to let you know the T Tuesday post is now live. As soon as I notify everyone and make a pot of much needed coffee, I will be back by to share a drink with you. Hope to see you at TSFT.

Helen said...

Great post, love all the clouds... shame about the delays, but loved looking at the exhibition. the chicken burgers look so yummy!

Kate Yetter said...

The Chicken burgers look delicious! And that textile exhibit looks so fun! Looks like a great way to spend a day.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry about your trip, that must have been a bad accident. And it's never fun when you need toilets and food! Your food looked great. The textile exhibition is fantastic, love those jeans, wow. I think I might make some like that. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

And hope the back pain soon clears up. It's cold and wet here so my joints are all hurting, too.

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh how frustrating a jam like that can be- especially when you need to find a rest stop (and that would be me!). You made the best of it with a delicious meal and museum visit. There's something about the newspaper one with the dangling fibers I love. Take care of that back, and happy T day!

Meggymay said...

Oh Chris, we heard about the road being closed for a while on our N.E. news programs. Its a good job you had some water and biscuits in the car.
You would be really hungry after that long wait and your OH looks very happy with his meal. You are right in saying that there is nothing we can do in situations like this. At least you did get to see a textile exhibition.
I hope you get free of the back pain soon Chis, take care of yourself.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Even though quite frustrating sounded like an adventure too-glad no one was hurt real bad in the accident.
I would have enjoyed the textile exhibit and wow those sandwiches are huge-looks delicious
Happy T wishes hugs kathy

Anne (cornucopia) said...

You know the traffic situation is bad when people start to get out of their cars. I'm sorry you got stuck there for so long. The food you had looked good. And the exhibition looked interesting. I try not to discuss politics, but I laughed with your comment about could that be your new PM soon. I also try not to watch the news, because most of it is bad, but I did peek in periodically on the Brexit news, and wasn't surprised when the resolution of it got postponed (to Oct?). Politics are a mess on this side of "the pond" too. So it's nice to see funny news, like the Great White Shark that was off the coast of Connecticut USA yesterday, in Long Island Sound. We don't normally have those swimming around here. :-)

Let's Art Journal said...

Sorry to hear about your back pain, I hope you are feeling better soon! Wow, that was a long delay, I'm so pleased that it had a happy ending with the exhibition and craft shop, you always buy the best carrying goodies, enjoy 😊. Wishing you a happy T Day! Take care! Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was so sorry to read about your back acting up again. I know that feeling, especially if I sit too long at the computer. I hope it is better soon.

That sounds like LA traffic to me. They are often stalled for hours on end with no way to get off. I've been in situations like that where you get out and stretch your legs. Glad all ended well.

I was fascinated by the textile exhibit. I loved the Financial Times. It was my favorite and a beautiful entry. They were all great, though.

You and T looked so happy once you were relieved and ready to eat. Your food looks great. I'll gladly eat your fries/chips. I'll also join you two for coffee. Thanks for sharing your harrowing experience, the exhibition, and your meal with coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

My name is Erika. said...

That was a long wait and I can understand why you were hungry. Lunch looks delicious, especially that salad. And great that you could see a little textile art and find a nice little shop which you didn't plan to see. I think it all worked out, though maybe not as expected. Wasn't it John Lennon who said that Life is what happens when you're busy making plans? (How true!) Hope it was a happy T day Chris. hugs-Erika

johanna said...

always on the road, dear... you are so right to do so! the textile exhibition would be right up my alley!! we had something similar here about two years ago and i was smitten!
have a great week, chris:)

Annie said...

Its so frustratig when you get held up in traffic as you just have to sit there and wait ...and wait xx Glad you had some food with you and that you managed to get to a cafe xx Even better a craft shop/exhibition x

So sorry to hear your back p[ain is ongoing I do hope it gets better soon

Huge hugs Annie x

J said...

Hi Chris, At least the traffic jam didn't ruin your trip but isn't awful when you get stuck and don't know what's going on, you should have put the kettle on in the caravan, LOL.
Great photos and tasty looking food too
Have a great week
Jan x

CJ Kennedy said...

At least you were able to salvage your plans. We seem to have lots of accidents on our major highway as people just travel too fast. Your lunch looks delicious.What an interesting exhibit. I liked the figures on the long cloths. It must be interesting to watch the figures move as they sway in a breeze. Happy T Day

Rita said...

You ended up doing something completely different than you had planned, but sounds like you were meant to be there. ;)

Eileen Bergen said...

I admire what a resourceful couple you are. You always manage to make the most of any situation. Just look at that broad grin on hubby's face. The exhibit was very interesting. Yes, it is a law that if you go into an art or craft store, you must buy something.

Happy T-day, Chris! Eileen xx