Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Saturday 2 March 2019

Quarry Bank Mill at Styall

Hi everyone, as promised I am returning to Styall Mill where hubby and I took walk the other week.
We had been out for lunch so it was mid afternoon when we arrived.
We usually start at the top the garden and work our way down but as we wanted to visit the Mill we headed down the main drive to the Mill's new entrance.
I must say that this rather threw me at first as I had visited this mill so many times as a teacher with groups of children and entered from a different direction. Of course nothing has changed in the Mill apart from updated exhibitions!
It was a sunny day so some of the photos have light in them and please forgive me if I have already used some of these photos previously in this post




 We were told that one person had to manage 9 looms, keeping them supplied with new thread and mending broken threads.










Slight blur on this moving wheel -this is hubby's but mine was far worse!
 ..and then back upstairs again and headed to into the sunshine!

We had a good insight of what it must have been like for the mill workers - the shifts were long and although there are now extractor fans it was still quite dusty. There were a few machines working on the day we visited but it was easy to imagine the noise when the mill was in full production. 

This was the Mill owner's house, recently opened to the public
 It was interesting to see the gardens in the afternoon light (we usually visit here in the mornings on shopping days!!)
 I wish I could capture the fragrance here - I could smell it through the open windows on the way to the door!


I hope you enjoyed this visit - there is a link here if you would like to see more.

Thanks for looking, Chrisx

12 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Yes I really enjoyed the visit to the mill again-thank you

Brenda Brown said...

What a fabulous place to visit and so interesting. The greenhouse looks beautiful and I can only imagine the gorgeous scent coming from it xxx. Glad you had such a lovely visit xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos of the mill, I love to visit places like this, too, but it must have been hard work for those who worked here. The house and gardens are lovely. Enjoy the spring flowers. Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

the photos are great, full of history. I don't like the smell of hyacinths though, too strong for me; much as they look gorgeous.

Let's Art Journal said...

So enjoyed visiting Styall Mill with you! It bought back lovely memories of our visits there, it's an amazing place and has such lovely grounds too 😁. Thanks for the memories and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic photos of the Mill. I'm sure it was hard work for them. Beautiful flower photos too.

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed my virtual tour, yes :) Fascinating!

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous impression of the mill! Thank you for sharing! I am glad to live nowadays - the work there must have been hard .
Happy start into the new week dear Chris!
Hugs Susi

Rita said...

Love the mill tour...and the flowers, too. :)

My name is Erika. said...

That mill life must have been hard. I live in an area where mills were around also and I have visited mill museums also. I bet it was loud in there too when all those looms were running. Thanks for sharing the photos. And oh I know what you mean about the smell of all those spring blooms. That looks like such a fabulous thing to do. The flowers are just beautiful. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was really taken by this mill. I can understand how hard it must have been for children during that period, as well as adults. I'm so glad you shared more photos of this factory that must have been deafening and caused all kinds of vibration problems to the heart and other internal organs.

I also enjoyed your walk through the gardens. If only it looked like that outside My window!

craftytrog said...

Lovely photos of Quarry Bank Mill Chris! Brings back happy memories of our visits there.
Alison xx