Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 19 March 2019

T Stands For...the Mill at Farfield

Hi everyone! We spent some time at our caravan for a long weekend! It was wet and very windy so we decided to go somewhere where we could stay indoors! You may remember we have visited this mill before several times, I even attended a workshop there a few years ago.
It is a working mill but also has artist's studios, weaving looms set up to be used by a local group of weavers, a cafe and a museum.
There weren't many artist working on Friday but their spaces are often open for viewing.

 I have storage envy!!


In the centre are stands for local artists too! 

This space alone is enough to make me happy but I had read in the local paper that there were two exhibitions on that hubby might like too, fortunately  I was right, and he also found a video to watch about the local area.


The first was a collection of paintings by Andrew Burns Colwill.
He had some of his work painted onto old doors and abandoned pieces of wood but the most fascinating thing about his paintings were the hidden depths to his works. Here is a link to his website.

The there exhibition was by James Owen Thomas a young man who creates art by using discarded scratch cards. Here is a link to an article about him.

After talking to a lady who was setting up her loom we headed to the cafe and I am joining Bleubeard and Elizabeth for Tea Stands For Tuesday


Only just - you can see the edges of our glasses of water to the right of the pic! We had delicious Bean and Tomato Soup and shared some bread and some cheese and onion sandwiches.Hubby had just had a first taste!

Afterwards we went to visit the Museum floor. As we walked through to the lift(elevator)we stopped to watch the warping loom in action.The operator is only here on Fridays and Saturdays so we were lucky! 


I think more than one of you may spend some time looking at this!!!
Yes, Elizabeth and Kathy I do mean you!!! 

The following loom is behind glass and the photos I took are too dreadful to show anything!
The museum floor has lots of things still remaining from the mill's working days




Finally, in one of the display areas someone had a journal open...



... and some fantastic inspiration!!

As we left the sun was trying to shine but by the time we reached Killington Lake Services the skies were looking very moody so we pulled in to take some photos!




The next day, Saturday, it rained all day so I had some crafting time and we watched a couple of films - bliss!!

Thanks for looking, Chris


19 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

oh what a great visit! How cool to get to see some of the artists studio spaces. And that loom is simply amazing! Love that typewriter too. The soup looks delicious. I love a rainy day too cuz yes, you stay in, craft and watch tv:) Happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

I would have enjoyed seeing the studios. And that loom is huge. My mother-in-law used to go somewhere to use a loom. She made us all afghans. Happy T Day!

Brenda Brown said...

What a fabulous place to visit with an amazing mix of museum pieces and wonderful looking studios. Great place for a rainy day xxx

Helen said...

the mill looks a fascinating place to visit, but I am afraid your "soup" put me off, I don't like "bits" in my soup and that looked a cup of bits lol!! hope you enjoyed it though. Great sky pics to end your day, very moody indeed.

Valerie-Jael said...

That'a fantastic place you visited, I love visiting places like that. Some great displays there, too, and lovely photos. Your food looks wonderful, yummy! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm back and will play catch-up as best I can. This has been a very trying time being without internet, but I HOPE this has been the cure. I'll explain on Wednesday, because it's too convoluted to explain here. Thanks for visiting while I was offline. It means the world to me.

It's wonderful that you can stop in the spaces and see what other artists are making and selling.

Colwill has some great art. I loved the "Airlift," but was shocked at the cost of a print. Thomas's story of how he collected and created art using the scratch cards was fascinating. His art certainly grew over time, I thought.

That warping loom was truly amazing. Yes, I was fascinated and highly impressed. It was truly fascinating to see the old space and the remains left behind.

I enjoyed seeing the old Singer sewing machine and the typewriter, too. That journal was incredible.

Back at the museum cafe. Your soup looks good, and the cheese and onion sandwiches sound delicious. Water was definitely a good choice.

Thanks for sharing more of the Mill at Farfield with us, as well as your soup, sandwiches, and water for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

froebelsternchen said...

What a fantastic visit at an inspiring place - wow! Thank you for taking us with you and showing all the intersting photos Chris! Happy T-Day!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great blog post. I did a double take when I saw the title: there is a Fairfield in Connecticut, US, but I knew you were talking about a different Fairfield. That mill looks like a great place to get to visit. So much to see, both new and old. And it looks like you and hubby had an enjoyable meal. I liked the moody sky photos. Happy T-Day!

Meggymay said...

This looks like an amazing destination. the whole area inside looked interesting, but I loved the photos you shared from the museum.
Your meal looked delicious Chris, it must have tasted real good.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

Kate Yetter said...

What a fun place to visit. It looks like a place to draw a lot of inspiration from. I love how many different art forms are represented in that mill. And the views are gorgeous! Your soup looks delicious. Sounds like the perfect lunch for a chilly day.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Let's Art Journal said...

It looks like you had a fantastic time! I loved visiting the craft places with you and I think I have storage envy too ...lol 😉. I think I could have explored all day and oh, the journal you found is so inspirational - I love it! Looks like your hubby was enjoying his soup ...lol! Wishing you a very happy T Day! J 😊 x

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fascinating museum, and the soup looks delicious! I love your scenic landscape photos. Happy T Tuesday:)

Krisha said...

Thanks for sharing all your photos, I really enjoyed them. That journal was awesome! The museum looked like a very interesting place to visit.
Your soup looks like the kind of soup I would choose.
Happy T-day

johanna said...

love all the glimpses into that museum... and of course especially the journal spreads! have a great week, happy first spring day! xox

Mrs.B said...

A lovely visit Chris, the mill looks very interesting. The photos from Killington Lake look very dramatic (my favourite services - used to always stop there on my way to see DD when she was at Uni in Preston)
Avril xx

My name is Erika. said...

I can't imagine how loud it was to work in those rooms with looms going. I have heard that sounds, and wow, they are loud. But so cool you found that journal to look though. That was cool. Thanks for sharing the photos and hope you had a happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Eileen Bergen said...

The mill is a very cool place, Chris. I have storage envy, inspiration envy and artists comaraderie envy (grin). Andrew Burns Colwill's art is strange and wonderful.

It sounds like you had a lovely time at the caravan despite poor weather.

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I loved your trip to the mill. Envious of those artist spaces. Not only the space, but they are so tidy! Maybe if I had visitors coming to see my workspace, I would be more tidy, too. Those big looms are incredible just thinking of how long it took to thread the loom. I loved the lambie in the photograph. Your Killington photos look more like November than spring. Still a beautiful area. No wonder you needed a bowl of soup for lunch. Looks real tasty, too. Happy First Day of Spring and T Day!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What an amazing Visit Chris, thanks so much for taking us all with you. I'm always one of those Visitors that they have to push out the door with the Closed sign ready to hang in their hand. A marvellous place and indeed so much inspiration from machinery to those layered pages. Happy Belated T-Day & welcome to Spring, lets hope the warmer days they promise really do come soon.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx