Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 21 May 2018

T Stands For......the most beautiful garden!!!!

We are just back from Northumberland and I apologise if I didn't get around to visiting last week! Connections while on the move were erratic and when we got back in the evenings to our cottage we were just so tired that I couldn't cope with trying to read much on my phone! 

I hope you have drink with you - I have gone a bit wild with the photos!!

On our first full day we went up to Alnwick Castle and Gardens. 
The castle was impressive and was the home of the Percy family....


  
...but it was the gardens that truly impressed me. A note here for Helen...you really must head up North to these gardens one day!
I was impressed by Kew back in April but having seen these gardens I am hard pressed to choose between them!

Our first stop was the Poison Garden - guided tours only and the gates are locked once a group is in for security reasons, by order of the government!
Who would have thought that such beautiful plants have such sinister histories!


 This was our guide taking another group around.
We walked on to the cherry tree walk.
On the slopes are double swings - we couldn't resist!

Back and forth enjoying the view of the lake...
...where the owl and the pussy cat were sailing!


Sadly most of the blossom was over but the tulips more than made up for that!
 We walked on to the water feature which Alnwick is so famous for..
...there are lots of these shady walks around.
 On into the formal gardens...sorry did I go past that water too quickly? I will come back to it another day - it is worthy of it's own post!!
 The Malus(crab apple) hedges were beautiful...
...an I loved the riot of colour(and promise of more to come in Summer)







Hubby caught me looking up through the top of one of the bowers (note the soppy grin and the white hair - didn't know it was THAT white!!!)



Out to get some lunch - the biggest disappointment of the day - okay we were a little late but this was about all that was left...
...sausage casserole with an ever so slightly congealed gravy - tasty enough but we didn't eat it all!
Thank goodness I can still join Bleubeard and Elizabeth......

...with our drinks later on when a lot of folk had left and we had a view of the water display!
We had coffee and shared the huge piece of chocolate cake!
I will show more of the water displays and something else VERY special another day!

Thanks for visiting and for all the kind comments you leave, I hope to get back to you very soon! Chris

21 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. That is a gorgeous place! You do find some beautiful grounds to visit. You definitely have a lot of fun I think. ANd lunch looks yummy. But huge! Hope you have a fabulous T day Chris . Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed your trip to Alnwick Castle and Gardens. The gardens are genuinely gorgeous, and I adored the trellis lined walkway. Since I've seen so many of Helen's Kew photos, I'm not sure you can actually compare the two. Both Kew and Alnwick Gardens are beautiful in their own right, but both seem completely different in style and structure. I DO adore this place, though, and enjoyed seeing you and T swinging away.

OK, you got me at congealed. But it certainly looked like a huge portion. Not sure what you were drinking with the casserole, but the coffee and cake looked too good to pass up. I loved T's grin in the last photo with the cake. BTW, what are those little toy trucks at the water feature? Curious minds and all.

Thanks for taking us to Alnwick Gardens, sharing your casserole, and enjoying cake and coffee later with us for T this Tuesday. I LOVED this post. BTW, your "long" posts are nothing next to Helen's many photos each time she visits Kew.

Halle said...

The castle is beautiful! And the gardens impressive. Thanks for taking us along!

Linda Kunsman said...

oh what a most gorgeous visit!! As I commented to Yvonne- especially since the royal wedding and seeing your beautiful visits countryside I so long to go back to England!
Hubby looks pretty happy with his meal- especially that chocolate cake:):)
Lucky you to have so many wonderful adventures, and thank you lots for sharing with us! Happy T day!

kathyinozarks said...

I always enjoy your trip photos-especially the castles and the gardens-this was really lovely-thanks for sharing all the photos with us.
that cake looks awesome-hugs Happy T Day Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, you visited some great places. Love the owl and the pussy cat. The food looks good! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

I agree, it is a garden worthy of a visit! I've seen bits on tv programmes of course, and can't wait for your photos of the water feature. It is as Elizabeth says, very different in style to Kew, it couldn't be anything but; but I don't believe you meant to compare them in styles, just your appreciation of it. Gorgeous photos, especially the tunnels of green providing such shade - bet you were glad of that.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thank you so much for sharing your visit to the castle and walk around the gardens, how intriguing regarding the poison garden. Love the way you have captured the shape of your surroundings withing your photography, perfect for sketching.
Glad you managed to catch a bite to eat, i'm sure that cake more than made up for the *all that's Left* sausage Casserole.
Happy T day Hugs Tracey xx

jinxxxygirl said...

Chris i always enjoy your trip photos... I get to travel vicariously through you...!! Happy happy T day my traveling friend! Hugs! deb

Meggymay said...

Fabulous photos of the gardens Chris, it is a number of years since we went to the Castle although we do go to Alnwick itself to visit Barter Books.
I was pleased the weather was sunny for you, so you would see Northumberland at its best.
Sorry to read you were not happy with the meal although the cake does look yummy.
Happy T day wishes.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...


Alnwick Castle and Gardens - what an enchanting place! It really looks like being in paradise there - o.k. maybe except of the poison garden - sounds dangerous but also super interesting ! I love the owl and pussy cat. The meal looks really good - especially that chocolate cake-lol!Thank you for sharing all the wonderful photos Chris!You are such a happy couple - lovely to see how much fun you have always! Happy T - Day, hugs, Susi♥♥♥

Rita said...

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!! :)

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful photos of your visit to the gardens, it's a couple of years since we were there, although not to Alnwick itself and I'm so pleased the sun was shining. Cake looks delicious, shame about the sausage casserole.
Avril xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful gardens. I wish I had the time, skill, and money to create an oasis as beautiful as that. Loved the swing. Too fun. I hope that awesome looking chocolate cake made up for your lunch. Happy T Day

Redanne said...

Oh how lovely Chris! Alnwick is one of my favourite castles, I love the water fall (last time children were playing in the fountains) and my most favourite place to visit is the Poison Garden, they are such beautiful plants aren't they?! It looks like you had a beautiful day, pity about the food though! Hugs, Anne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a fabulous place! It looks like you had a wonderful time and the gardens and views are amazing 😁. I would have played on the swings too ...lol 😉. Thanks for sharing your happy trip and wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x
p.s. thanks for your lovely comments on my blog too! The garden centre is Barton Grange in Lancashire and it has won the Best Garden Centre Destination for the last 5 years so is a lovely place to visit. Here's a link: https://www.bartongrange.co.uk J x

Kate Yetter said...

This is truly one amazing place! The plants are gorgeous and the poison garden sounds so intriguing. Your pictures are beautiful and I think my favorite place to sit would be the waterfall. The food looks delicious and what a bonus that you got view of the water display. Thank you for sharing your adventure.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Dianne said...

so beautiful...love all of the photos! the Poison Garden sounds quite fascinating...I guess that all the plants in it are poisonous? would be interested to hear more...sounds like an episode of Midsomer Murder Mysteries! lol. thanks for sharing the chocolate cake! ♥

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Wonderful post, Chris. You two take such interesting trips. Alnwick Castle and Gardens look amazing. I was puzzled by the title of the Poison Garden. I thought maybe that was a French word - lol. Hard to imagine a garden of nothing but poisonous plants. I'm glad they have tight security! I read a fascinating article about the Poison Garden at Smithsonian.com.

The formal gardens are beautiful!

"Congealed" as in greasy? Ewww.

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

Sylvie Collet said...

Absolument magnifique Chris!!!!
Beau château, jardins et belles personnes!!!!!!
Hugs,
Sylvie

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoyed my virtual trip through these gardens :) This is a huge layout with so much variety, beautiful landscaping and those flowers! So many lovely places in the gardens to pause a while and enjoy.