Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 16 January 2018

T Stands For…..The Chateau at Chinon

I have been quite busy since we came back from our caravan - I finally sorted out my Christmas wrapping box - it was getting in the way and I could ignore it no longer - it's away in the cupboard now and the lid fits!!
I have been playing in my journals and making cards but the page I have to show you now was finished last week!
Wherever we travel I always need coffee, not always Cappuccinos as I am more likely to have an Americano this days (less sugar!)I cut the  coffee image from a set of cards I found in a sale. The background is a lot of random stamping on a page onto which I had stuck some old scraps and painted over! I dug into one of my scrap bags for the rest and then added the paper dolls who I think must be in Italy! The cake fork is there because I would love some cake but as you see I am being good today! 
I am linking to Erika's 'New Year - New Adventure' theme at Art Journal Journey. 

I am also joining Bleubeard and Elizabeth for T Stand For Tuesday
Of course we have been out and about again but I still have a 'few' photos left of our visit to France last Autumn!
While staying with our friends (although my SIL is the sister I never had!)we had a trip to a chateau - not just any chateau but to Chinon where my heroine Eleanor of Aquitaine spent some time both in happy years with her husband and in captivity for supporting her sons causes!





 We looked down on the Mediaeval town where we would walk later.
 Henry II was the husband of Eleanor.







This board tell of how King John finally had to relinquish his father's castle!(sorry it's a bit blurred!)

We went to the Bell tower where this clock was housed - I would show you the video but SIL and I talked about it all the way through - we were fascinated!! 

The chateau was refurbished a few years ago and many more buildings are now open to the public. We were pleased to see plenty of signs in English too, especially in an area where there are re-enactment films and displays!
This may have been the tower in which Eleanor was imprisoned so the view from here was of great interest to me!

Chinon is also famous for being the place that Joan Of Arc came after her dreams, to persuade Charles, the future King, to give her an army to defeat the British, which he did, after sending her to Poitiers to be interrogated.
Of course, her army was able to regain Orleans for the French but she was later tried for heresy by the English and their allies the Burgundians and burnt at the stake.

 These plates were part of the Joan of Arc exhibition and depict her story!

I was hoping to show you the town of Chinon but I think I will have to save it for another time! 

Thanks for looking, Chris


21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous journal page and Photos, and I love those plates. Have a nice evening, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

beautiful journal page Chris. And thanks for sharing Chinon, the chateau and history. Gorgeous photos! And I actually visited Chinon many years ago when relatives took me around the countryside in search of the chateaux. :)
Wishing you a happy T day!

Lisca said...

Your journal page is beautiful. I like the cut out photo of the two beauties.
Thank you for taking us to France again. What a lovely castle. I love the history around it and I am pleased you have explained about the story. I did know the story of Jeanne d'Arc and love the plates, especially the large majolica one.
I had never heard of a zoetrope clock. Must Google that and find out more....
Looking forward to more photos of France,
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

kathyinozarks said...

I really love your journal page and I love all the photos from France-thanks so much for sharing your adventures with us-I really enjoying it as I know I will not be going there to visit.
Happy T Day Kathy

froebelsternchen said...

Your journal page is just beautiful Chris - Fantastic to see it at AJJ ! Thank you . The found realitives are amazing and fit perfectly.
Thank you for taking me to France again. What a wonderful castle. I really love the plates.

Happy T-Day,Susi

Divers and Sundry said...

I am always impressed when I see buildings this old open to the public. Such a storied past these places have. Happy T Tuesday :)

Helen said...

WOW! what beautiful photos you've shared, a truly wonderful visit. Love the chateau! Are you sure I can't stow away with you next time?!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Your page is beautiful! I love the background images, are they stamps? The fountain that you created is magical too 😁. The château is amazing and the views are spectacular! I found it interesting finding out more about your heroine too and being her château it must have made your visit even more special! Happy T Day! J 😊

Meggymay said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of Chinon, a place we visited many years ago. You are really taking my memory on many memorable trips, with your French posts.
Your journal post looks fantastic a super background for the details you added.
Happy T day wishes Chris.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

First of all that castle was amazing. I need to read about Eleanor of A. I have heard of her many times but don't really know anything about her. Is she in the Sunne and Splendor that you were reading? It is very beautiful there. And that is a great page for AJJ too. I like how you included the cake fork (something I always have to try) and coffee and gave it a food twist. Thanks for joining in at AJJ and sharing Chinon. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry for being late visiting. Please forgive me. Life got in the way today.

I remember when I was working on my Kings and Queens altered book for my friend Kathy, how you told me your heroine was Eleanor of Aquitaine. That made it very special to me, too. Thank you for taking us with you to see this lovely chateau and refurbished village. I look forward to more in the near future.

Of course, I absolutely adore your latest journal page you created for both T Stands For Tuesday and Art Journal Journey. Don't you just love those paper dolls? Thanks for joining us for T Tuesday and AJJ, too dear.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun journal page and I miss a slice (or two) of cake, also. =^,.^= The ruins of the castle are amazing and the views impressive. The Joan of Arc dishes are really beautiful to tell such a heroic story with such a sad ending. Missed a picture of your hubby with his meal :-D

Kate Yetter said...

Great journal page. The background is fabulous and I love that you dug into your scraps. I just got a pack of paper dolls and I am so looking forward to using them. Love how you used yours.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

johanna said...

great grungy Background on your journaling page and fabulous additions!
and of course you always get me with medieval architecture!! i envy you for this France trip you had!
have a great week:)

Pamellia said...

Fabulous journal page Chris. The background is fantastic and I love your use of scraps. Those ruins are just amazing!! That may be one of the most interesting spots I've ever seen you post! If I lived there, I would be there every day to take photographs, a million a little corners of interesting textures and foliage and all sorts of wildlife too I bet! Wow, fantastic!! hugs :)

craftytrog said...

Wonderful photos, and a lovely journal page Chris!
Alison xox

Little Artbee said...

Wonderful page dear Chris. I like all the nice collage elements you added to it and the turquoise waterfall. Great composition,wow. Your photos from France are all so amazing and the cutouts of the sights so well chosen.
Dear greetings
Sabine

Rita said...

Beautiful view or not--what a place to be--imprisoned in a stone castle. Lots of history there. Wow! And a pretty page! :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Sorry to be so late getting around, Chris. We’ve had terrible & intermittant internet for a couple of days – often less than 1 megabyte download!

I love the random background of your page and the way you've layered collage pieces.

I also just got my Christmas decorations packed away. But a section of our pre-strung tree is still sitting out because I have to figure out how to repair/replace a huge section of the light string ;-(

Enjoyed more photos and info from France.

Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

chrissie said...

A terrific page and amazing photographs. You see such wonders on your travels

Love Chrissie xx

Halle said...

Love the journal page and the photos. Someday we'll get to Europe!!