Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Sunday 5 November 2017

Please to Remember the 5th Of November

I used to look forward to November 5th when I was little…the bonfire making with my Dad…the lighting and the warmth from the fire, melting marshmallows on sticks (sometimes even baking potatoes to be eaten with butter) in the embers and then the fireworks ….always watched through the window! It was always on the 5th to commemorate the Gunpowder plot being foiled! The only change to that date was if rained on the day, and then it was postponed to the next day(or later)
I'm sure if you live in the UK you have heard fireworks and seen organised events being held anywhere around this date! I have been hearing and seeing fireworks for over a week now!

My page today for Art Journal Journey is about an organised event as this is seen to be a better way to stay safe!
When my boys were little our house backed on to a dirt track leading to a Tennis club that held a Bonfire event each year to which we were invited.
 I began with some Brushos, Infusions and Cosmic Shimmer Pixie powder. 
 I stamped the same two figures repeatedly to make a crowd and used two trees to create the Spinney by the tennis club. The fireworks are different sized spoke stamps.
 Here it is from another angle to show you the shine made with a dry brush and gold paint.
My good friend Elizabeth has made a page that explains more about the Gunpowder plot.
She has used some songs I wasn't so familiar with but here are the words to one we used to sing, although the words I used to start this song are the words of my post title
Remember, remember the fifth of November, 
Gunpowder treason and plot. 
We see no reason 
Why gunpowder treason 
Should ever be forgot! 

Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intent 
To blow up king and parliament. 
Three score barrels were laid below 
To prove old England's overthrow. 

By god's mercy he was catch'd 
With a darkened lantern and burning match. 
So, holler boys, holler boys, Let the bells ring. 
Holler boys, holler boys, God save the king.

And what shall we do with him? 
Burn him! 


I hope you are enjoying my 101 ways to keep warm theme - there have been some brilliant entries so far. Thank you for your support and Thanks for calling by today! Chris

BTW I am still without a Fridge or a freezer - some sort of mix up meant that the code I would have been sent  to get a new one wasn't dispatched so I need a new one generating…which can't be done until Monday! Still smiling…but through gritted teeth!!


       

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal page, very atmospheric. Enjoy your celebrations, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. This is a great firework and Guy Fawkes page. I love how you really made it look like the whole sky is being lit up from the bursts of real fireworks. Nice! Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

It is an awesome journal page Chris, you created a wonderful bonfire night scene. .Its noisy tonight in the village, and like you it has been going on for a few days.
I hope the Fridge and Freezer will be on the way to your home soon. We do take them for granted as part of or daily needs.
Yvonne xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

This is absolutely fantastic Chris, it’s so atmospheric that I can almost hear the whizzes and bangs and smell the bonfires
Hugs
Donna xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I admit that your tribute to Bonfire Night is much better than mine. I looked for stamps that were fireworks, but could find none, so I stuck with the bonfire and ignored the fireworks. It's a similar problem I have with my cats on our Independence Day (4th of July). The poor animals. I can't begin to imagine how scared they would be if we were in the middle of a war.

I simply ADORE your background and the way you colored the top of the page, and kept the bottom dark as night. It's a simply beautiful AJJ entry. BTW, I'd never heard of or come across that particular song you shared, but they all certainly convey the same thought, don't they?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention, I would be screaming in anguish right now if I was still without a fridge or freezer. You are obviously much more in control of your emotions (grin).

Helen said...

what a great page, I love your fireworks! I don't have pets but most of my friend do, and they hate the fireworks. Personally I love them but they go on too long around the date.

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fantastic Bonfire Night scene you created, I can just imaging standing watching all those beautiful fireworks on a cold autumnal night - perfect! I've had a busy weekend so I'm just catching up on blogs today and it seems I will be in esteemed company this T Day with you and Chris creating Bonfire Night pages, you'll have to wait to see mine though ...lol 😉. Hope your fridge/freezer is sorted soon and wishing you a happy new week! J 😊

froebelsternchen said...

You made this so amazing - absolutely atmospheric - you got the sky and the foreground so real - I nearly can hear the fireworks! And that song I remember from my English lesson's book many, many, many years ago...lol.
A fabulous page !
You area heroine with this freezer situation!
But I am sure it will be sorted soon Chris!
I had no power for some hours in the morning.. . it was annoying - but they told us that something important have to be done with the electricity.
Happy new week!
oxo Susi

craftytrog said...

A super firework page Chris! I wish the neighbours would go to an event, it would have been a lot quieter around here over the weekend!!
Hope your fridge and freezer come soon!
Alison xx

Rosie said...

Wunderful journal page, Chris

Divers and Sundry said...

What a great page! The way you layered those elements fascinates me.

I always think of the Paddington Bear story when the 5th of November comes around. I feel grandfathered in on the celebrations ;)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful journal page!! fantastic Background and poeple!!!
Have beautiful week
Elke