Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 6 August 2024

T Stands For Taking It Easy

Hi all, as you may know, I am still having to take it easy - I have my stool with a pillow on it for my foot to rest on and various boxes of 'stuff'  around me. One of the things I am doing is writing a journal (as well as my calendar journal) to record my recovery from the fall I had back in June. My elbow is looking much better and my grazed knee has a peculiar lump on it, which I guess will eventually look OK. My foot hurts less, it was very bruised as was the shin on my other leg but the bruising took a while to go!

Okay, so, enough of my predicament - I have more photos from France. I probably won't add many words as I sit rather awkwardly at the computer.

I am continuing our D Day beach visits 


These two photos were near Aromanches.
This was at the  British Normandy Memorial. 
The columns are full of names of those that fell in battle on the Normandy beaches - 22,442 over the 12 weeks of the Battle of Normandy

While there I was lucky to meet the man who made this installation - Standing With Giants - Dan Barton, a lovely sincere man who wanted to create something to make sure that we never forget those who suffered to give us the freedom we have today. 
They represent the 1,475 men who died on the beaches on D Day

Here are the two nurses who lost their lives tending the wounded and were killed on 7th August 1944.
This is where this memorial is located but there were also other signs for all of the other landing beaches
It was very moving to see theses figures against the backdrop of the beach.
After our visit to this area we travelled south to a gîte in Quistinic, difficult to find at first but with beautiful views and peace and quiet apart from birdsong. 



Here is the view from the breakfast table and is my ticket to join in at T Stands For Tuesday at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog The Altered Book Lover. 

Talking of bird song - the loudest were the Blackbirds...but one female blackbird had a different agenda - she did not like cars. We watched on the first morning as she continually attacked the wing mirror - it was only when we went out that we saw the mess she had made down the side of the door. During our visit we saw her attack our car every day, even though we tried parking in different positions, she also attacked the cars in the garden opposite and when we mentioned it to the owner of the Gîte it seems that the blackbird attacked her car too,
Here is hubby coming in from cleaning dirt from the car one day!
 

I am hoping that tomorrow when I have my foot x-rayed that I will no longer need to wear the fracture boot.

Thanks for looking, Chris

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's nice to read you are slowly improving from your fall.

I was amazed by the Battle of Normandy. It is hard to imagine over 22,000 died as a result of that battle.

How fortunate to have met the man who was responsible for that installation.

A nice tribute to the two nurses who died, too. I'm sure it was quite a moving experience.

What a lovely gite. I can see why you enjoyed your stay there.

What a lovely breakfast table. Now I am hungry. I see coffee and water are on the table, too.

That black bird had a thing against cars, didn't she? Thanks for sharing with us and I hope you get the boot off tomorrow, dear Chris.

Cloudia said...

I like your photos today a lot. I hope you find joy in this time When you can be cozy and nest and take care of yourself. Wishing you good health and Aloha!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, those statues of the men who were lost on the beach makes quite a statement. That must have been a scary place to be on that day and night, but I am so glad they memorized it. And that you shared these photos too. I hope to get there some day, especially after seeing these. Hope it was a super T day. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Good to hear that you are recovering. I was just dismissed from my two months of physical therapy after my fall in May. It’s a challenge, isn’t it?
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Spyder said...

Happy T day and Happy WOYWW!? Your pictures are sooo moving, I really hope people will never forget. Now you must rest your injuries and get well soon. That snack really does look lovely! Time I had one! ((Lyn)) #14 and #6 I think!

CJ Kennedy said...

It was very moving to see your photos from the D Day Memorial. I wonder what it is about cars that agitates the crow? Glad to hearing you're on the mend. Hope you can ditch the boot. Happy T Day

Let's Art Journal said...

What a wonderful post and a lovely memorial in remembrance of those who fought so valiantly to give us our freedom ❤️. The metal sculpture is amazing. So pleased to hear that you are recovering and have more movement, I hope that your x-ray went well. Take care and happy belated T Day wishes!