Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Wednesday 31 August 2016

Impressive wonder of nature!

Yesterday we had a day out with my middle son and grandchildren, my son and I have said for ages that we would love to visit "Another place", an Anthony Gormley installation of cast iron figures on the beach at Crosby near Liverpool. Wikipedia reference here
The weather forecast was good and we agreed to meet up and spend some time there! 
Of course I had seen photos and film on TV but I still wasn't prepared for how I would be affected by this place and the statues staring out at the Mersey.
This morning I was so keen to get on with a journal page but as Wendy (our assigned HKA) was in my craft room ironing I decide to print out some photos onto some fabric canvas that I have had for ages.

This afternoon onto a background that I prepared when we got home last night I made this for Gill's last day as hostess on Art Journal Journey! Her theme of 'Nature's Wonders' inspired me so much and I was sorry not to have had more time to join in!

So, where is the Nature's Wonder? It is in the barnacles that have formed over theses statues over the years.
A slightly rushed page but I really had to do this!! 
The rectangles down the sides of the man are the barnacles close up except that the canvas alters the appearance slightly so  here they are to show you better.

You can see where they have not taken hold in parts on this man!

I will post more photos another day - hubby and I took loads!!

For now, we're going out for a family meal tonight so I must go and get ready!

Thanks for looking, Chris

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fun page. I have seen a film about those statues, but would love to see them 'in real'. Thanks for another lovely page for AJJ, and for your support. Hugs, Valerie

kat said...

I love the feeling here, your beautiful journal page and that wide open beach, space and freedom, it feels so very airy this way!

Gibby Frogett said...

aww thanks so much for making this page for AJJ Chris - its fabulous!
I've only seen the statues on tv (fairly recently I think) and had no idea they were there before.
Considering I live in a seaside town I should probably know what a barnacle actually is - so I ended up having to search for the info.. and it looks like they are related to crabs and lobsters - intriguing :)
I love all the wonderful textures on your page and the photo on the canvas fabric is brilliant.
Hope you had a nice evening.... Gill x

Helen said...

I would love to see these in person too.. lucky you.. look forward to more photos.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember the first time I saw these were (I THINK) on JoZart's blog. At that time I did an extensive internet search and saw they were everywhere, not just on the Mersey, but even in the Swiss Alps. You are SO lucky to see them, and the barnacles are a new twist to me.

Brenda Brown said...

Amazing, I never knew these existed so they are now on my bucket list. Love how you printed and displayed the photo, great journal page Chris xxx

chrissie said...

Amazing page Chris and so pleased the place was as good as I imagined it would be. Certainly on my list of place to visit..

Love Chrissie xx

My name is Erika. said...

That beach looks stunning. I'd love to see more photos. And your page also blew me away. That is great texture and it feels so much like your photo. Great work. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

I have seen photos of these but never so close as you managed to get to them. Its a fantastic page Chris.
Yvonne xx

Linda said...

Lovely photos and gorgeous page! And your header is stunning! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

Words and Pictures said...

Incredibly beautiful page - I can see how inspired you were by your visit. I'm a huge Antony Gormley fan - always loved spotting his men on rooftops in London, and of course the Angel of the North is magnificent - but the photos I've seen of this beach installation have always made me want to visit, and now you've intensified that need. I also really want to see Sound II in Winchester Cathedral some day. Really a glorious page - a definite new favourite for me.
Alison x