Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Friday 1 August 2014

Peeled paint inspired by Liesbeth Fidder

Although I have seen the peeled paint effect before, it was Liesbeth's hanging board on the Paper Artsy blog that set me wanting to try it! 
Well, that and then a programme I watched about the persecution of Catholics in the 1600's that really got me moving!

The stamp I used has always made me think of someone talking to a hidden other person. Now I realise that the person was the priest - locked up in his priest hole, being warned to keep quiet! 
They must have been terrifying times, especially when soldiers would hang around for days hoping that the priest would either get hungry or smelly enough to detect!! One place on the programme was Salmsebury Hall near Preston, a lovely place to visit especially with children.
The image is LPC011 which I stamped in Jet Black archival onto a painted background of Snowflake, Concrete and Nougat.A little bit of text stamp - PA Mini MN76. A little bit of colouring with distress markers then the smeared Petroleum Jelly that I sent hubby of to the shops for(he was going for a walk anyway!)
I used Bora Bora paint over the jelly and image and then - wow!!! I love this effect and I'll be using it again (and again)!!!
I decided to use crackle paste mixed with Concrete Fresco paint through a stencil, but then decided I couldn't wait any longer so used my heat gun on it! I loved the puffy effect I got and with nothing else to hand, used my trusty Adirondak silver dabber paint to sponge on to the puffy bits. 

The cross came from some jewellery I bought at Primark in a sale ages ago.
Finally a key stamped in dabber silver and some shiny fibres and ribbons.

Linking this to the Paper Artsy blog

Thanks for looking, Chris

11 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You put SO much into your tags. This one is no exception. It is truly stunning. And I am learning a bit of history along the way, too. What a perfect story to accompany the tag.

Saw you used dabbers in your art. You asked what bingo dabbers are. They are ink, not paint, and are similar to the TH ink dabbers, EXCEPT they cost about 1/10th of his. You can find them at drug and some grocery stores that sell bingo cards. They are great because they dry quickly, too. And depending upon how hard you press the dabber, the ink can be translucent or opaque.

Hazel Agnew said...

What an interesting post. Fascinating. Love the colours and the effects. Love bora bora. Fab work. X

Helen said...

Wow, Chris, love the tag, and the story behind it too.

Julie Lee said...

What a lovely tag, Chris! I love how you've used the technique; the colours you've used; the textures and the story behind this is so interesting too! Lovely! Julie Ann xxx

Etsuko said...

Beautiyful tag! Great technique and fantastic images, I love it! xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris. LOVE your tag....must do this technique again....it's a while since I've used it...got lovely and messy! Have a good weekend. Love S xx

Sarah Anderson said...

fab, fab tag Chris, and love your inspiration!!

Darcy Marshall said...

Fab, I love how you have woven the story around it.

Crafter's Laboratory said...

What a truly beautiful piece.

Anonymous said...

I've always been fascinated by those dark times Chris, ever since I read Green Darkness by Anya Seton many years ago.
Your tag looks amazing, great use of that technique, & the LP stamp works perfectly. I love your bubbly grungepaste too.
Alison xxx

Words and Pictures said...

What a brilliant story-telling tag - full of the drama of those terrifying times. A fantastic way to use that paint technique.
Alison xx