Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Tuesday 4 December 2018

T stands for the Castle

Of all the places we visited on our holiday the castle in Prague was one of the most memorable! Warning - I have just checked this post - there are a lot of photos!
It is the official residence of the president of the Czech republic so security checks were necessary. 
Once in we bought our tickets so that we could visit the areas of interest in the grounds, which are almost like a village.

First was the Cathedral of St Vitus which was huge...
...and beautiful! 







 You know how happy I am to find the colours of the stained glass windows on the walls when the sun is shining....this was one of many...I was very happy!!
We spent a long time here  - I will try to show you more some time!
It was time to move on, we walked on to St Georges Basilica - smaller but so many delights!
We arrived just in time to see these soldiers off to change the guard! 

 We set off to find somewhere for a bite to eat - entered a courtyard and were enticed into the Former Institute for Noblewomen 



This amazing view of Charles Bridge was a treat!
This view of the next bridge along the river shows the National Theatre and a restaurant we ate at a couple of times.

We really were getting quite hungry by then so we went back to the renovated courtyard!
I am joining Elizabeth and Bleubeard for T Stands for Tuesday.

I very nearly forgot to photograph my cheese and ham panini and cappuccino! Hubby had the same to eat but had a latte I think!!
Now we come to the part that I was looking forward to - Golden Lane!




As most of the interiors were protected by glass it was difficult to take photos but I have to tell you we spent quite some time here too!
As we were leaving the castle we saw another guard change - this time by the gates.



We walked down to the security gates


Oh no!! I missed this garden..too late to visit - we will have to come back one day!!!

I do hope you are still with me!

Thanks for looking, Chris

14 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Oh Wow Chris--I so enjoyed this travel post-very much-I am going back to take a second look of the cathedral so happy you shared this with us-hugs
Happy T Kathy

chrissie said...

Looks like another wonderful place you visited Chris. Such splendour and riches to see. Nice tha they kept the courtyard for people to have a drink and something to eat.

Thank you for sharing another adventure

Happy T Day

Love Chrissie xx

Linda Kunsman said...

I am so enjoying this armchair travel with you. Only wish I could see it all in person:) The cathedral is breathtaking- so magnificent!! Love all the furnishings - always interesting to see so many styles. Beautiful scenery of the bridges. And your lunch sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

Helen said...

I think you should let me come with you next time! You find the most wonderful places to visit and seem to have energy to keep going for hours! The cathedral at the start is just stunning.

Meggymay said...

Wow Chris, more awesome photos of your visit. The cathedral looks amazing and I would have loved to see the Golden Lane as well. thank you for taking us on a virtual visit to this beautiful place.
I think you would need your lunch break to get your energy level back so you could explore further.
Happy T day wishes Chris.
Yvonne xx

Words and Pictures said...

Another fantastic guided tour... I have to confess the Golden Lane architecture is far more my kind of thing than all that Gothic grandeur. I like my churches Romanesque! Thanks for sharing your trip - and I hope you'll be making that return journey soon (but not too soon... I won't be there yet!).
Alison x

Eileen Bergen said...

I'm still with you, Chris ;-)

This was a wonderful tour of Prague. The Cathedral of St. Vitus is very impressive. The history is fascinating. Beautiful stained glass reflections. Or should I say projections?

Thank you for sharing another fantastic guided tour for us arm chair travelers. I would love to see the Golden Lane in person. The history is amazing.

Happy T-day! Eileen xoxo

Kate Yetter said...

Some more amazing photos. The cathedral is so stunning along with those gardens. Your panini looks delicious and I just love that table setting. So pretty.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, thee Prague landmarks are gorgeous. Prague looks like a really amazing city to visit. Once again I really enjoyed my armchair traveling. Happy belated T day. It was a busy day so I am late getting around to visit. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have been nine places today, in addition to lunch with Sally. I am exhausted, but so glad I am finally here to see these lovely photos from Prague.

The first Cathedral was amazing. Lots of pomp and circumstance, I believe. The stained glass windows on the walls showed up well.

St. George's Basilica was also a delight. That desk ad large hutch were impressive. I was blown away by the wood. Seeing the china and teacup and teapot was incredible. Such a beautiful pattern.

I agree that the bridge is lovely. The entire view was almost overwhelming.

What a fun place to find. That renovated courtyard was lovely, and the centerpiece of blooming succulent was gorgeous. Your panini looks good and is really making me hungry. I'll gladly join you for either a cappuccino or a latte.

Golden Lane was quite unique. So VERY different from the opulence we had seen previously.

I can't believe you were there long enough to experience TWO changing of the guards. Was that garden filled with owls and falcons? That is right up your alley.

Thanks beyond belief for sharing these wonderful areas of the castle and your drinks with us for T this Tuesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

You had a wonderful trip to Prague, it it is indeed a fantastic place to visit, with so much to see and enjoy. Thanks for sharing, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

johanna said...

many photos are not a warning, but a promise to me:) i enjoyed the tour, esp as we did not have that wonderful weather when we were there some years ago... and i had missed the opening hours of st vitus. what a wonderful church, nice to see it inside, too!
have a peaceful advent and happy t-day (well, i´m late...), xox

Lisca said...

I love armchair travel. And lots of photos means I make myself a cuppa and settle down. What a wonderful place. I've never been to Prague myself, but it is certainly worth a visit.
The cathedral is beautiful but Golden Lane was also very interesting in a different way.
Great that you were able to see the changing of the guards.
Thank you so much for sharing,
We are usually away on Tuesday and I would use my ipad, but so many comments have not come through that I have given up on that and I just do the comments a day late. Better late than never!
Happy belated T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

Those churches are breath-taking! Thank you for sharing photos :) And the rest of the trip... the views! Such interesting places.